Toddlers: 24 Months+

Swimming Lessons- WWYD?

I signed DD up for a 2 week swimming lesson class b/c my in-laws have a pool and DD is getting a little too brave. The first day she did OK b/c the teacher didn't make her put her face in the water. The second day she did and DD cried for most of the 30 minute lesson. The instructor recommended that I bring her to the Aquababies class (where I am in the water with her) and then bring her back to her normal class too. DD flipped out even more with me in the water, but was much more relaxed today and only cried when she had to go under water. She cried through most of her class (where it is her and her friend), and cried today as well. Amazingly enough DD slipped off the step today and went under (I had to get in and grab her) and she didn't cry and was all proud of herself for going under. Next week the instructor wants me to sit where DD can't see me during the lesson to see if that will help. I know DD needs to learn to swim (there is water everywhere in Louisiana!), but is it really worth making her cry every day? The teacher swears that DD will get it and stop crying, but I'm not so convinced. Thoughts?
imageimage

Re: Swimming Lessons- WWYD?

• If she really seems to be handling it better each lesson, I might keep trying. If she's not handling it better, or it gets worse, then I might stop for now and try again when she's a little older. It is important for her to be comfortable and safe in the water, but I would want to be careful not to create a negative association or fear by pushing her before she's ready.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS is in a toddler swim class but I'm in the water with him the whole time.  They make it super fun by singing songs, letting them paddle after balls, go down a slide, etc.  They teach kicking, arms paddling, getting themselves out of the pool and going under.  That being said...they don't force the kids under water before they are ready or if they are really upset.  I personally would prefer her to be able to go at her own pace because if she gets too upset she'll just develop a fear of the water
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If you actually want your kid to be able to swim and float... and not just get a false sense of security in the water, I highly recommend ISR if they have an instructor in your area. DD has been swimming and floating since just over the age of 1.

• I am currently taking DD to a mom and me swim class. Her first lesson she was all into it and loved it. The second one she didn't want to have anything to do in the water. She ended up standing by the edge and splashing the instructor and I.

I used to teach swim lessons and I remember that sometimes it would actually really work if mom/dad left so that the child couldn't see them. That also depended on how comfortable the child was in the water. Is your child comfortable in the water and just crying to get your attention or is she crying because she is scared of the water and wants your comfort?

Since this is my DD1's first lessons ever, I am right there in the water with her. As soon as she starts to show confidence I plan on not getting in with her and eventually (if need be) will leave the pool area so her attention is on the instructor.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • LSU628LSU628 member
    She likes sitting on the step in the water, kicking, splashing, doing her arms, she just HATES putting her face in or under the water. She knows how to do bubbles and will put her mouth in the water at my in-laws and do it (because we all laugh and cheer), but she starts crying at swim lessons the second the teacher mentions bubbles or going under. She was more relaxed today when I was holding her and having her float on her back, but she kept pulling her head out of the water so her ears weren't under the water. I guess I'll give it a shot with me being out of eyesight and see if the crying subsides. I just hate to push her and have her get more anxious about being in the water.
    imageimage
  • I used to teach swimming lessons, so I totally understand what the teacher is saying.  I would keep her in lessons and let her get used to it.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I've taught many a toddler swim class. Sometimes it takes a full 10 lessons before the child is comfortable in the water, sometimes even 10 isn't enough. I've taught kids who literally sat on the side of the pool with their mom the entire time until the last day when they finally came into the water and had a great time. With some kids it just takes time. Don't push her but encourage her every time to do a little bit more. My brother sat on the dock for swimming lessons for 3 years in a row before he finally got in the water to participate. Learning to swim is obviously important to me, so I would keep trying. Good luck.
  • My 6 yo has been in swimming lessons for almost 3 years now (1x a week for 30 min through the YMCA). She still hates putting her face in the water and won't jump in without holding the instructor's hands. But she can swim about 5 yards on her own now, and she's getting more comfortable putting her face in the water when asked. IMO, it's not something worth forcing, and it's not worth making her dislike swimming for. I think learning to swim is important, but I don't think forcing a child to do something they're uncomfortable with is a good teaching method.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"