November 2011 Moms

"You don't want to make (your baby) fat"

OK so a disclaimer... this comment was made by my grandmother and shes obviously elderly and I know she is completely in love with LO and didn't mean anything by it... but really?

She isn't the only person I have heard this from! LO is 19 lbs and 27 inches long... he's not skinny but he certainly isn't "overweight" (if an infant can even be overweight lol). He is developing fine and getting towards crawling on his own, at which point I am sure he will burn off some of that baby chunkiness. I even had to justify his weight by saying that he is usually in his jumperoo for a couple hours (all together) a day so he gets exercise! Anyone else getting this? I get that everyone is freaked out by the "childhood obesity epidemic".... but seriously up until a few weeks ago his only source of food was formula (and before that BM). Not like I'm feeding him cheeseburgers everyday. UGHH PEOPLE!

Re: "You don't want to make (your baby) fat"

• I could have posted this myself! My LO has the same measurements as yours & I always get those comments.

Today, while we were at the mall; this sweet old lady in the elevator asked how old DS was. I responded 6.5 months & she says "Ohhh, he's a *pause* solid 6 months huh?" with a puzzled look on her face.

People get on my nerves Tongue Tied

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Honestly, boys are more leaded than girls! My DD was 50% throughout her first year. DS is between 50-60% for weight and 95% for height. DS is EBF (doesn't even want much to do with any purees that weve given so far), and my own mother warns me about over feeding him. Really?! If he isn't hungry, he doesn't eat. And she's the last person who should be talking about weight problems!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it goes both ways. It drives me nuts when someone says babies or chunky or so tiny. Think of it this way, if you were saying that to an adult would it be ok? No, so why is it ok to say it about a baby? I know most people mean it as a harmless comment but some people take it to heart and may think they are doing something wrong.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • aw! He is about the same size as my guy! Sounds perfect to me :) I'm surprised though, I have never gotten this. I did get one "Oh wow" type comment from a guy at a parade with his 10 month old son who looked almost the same size. I felt proud lol

• imageerrica720:
    aw! He is about the same size as my guy! Sounds perfect to me :) I'm surprised though, I have never gotten this. I did get one "Oh wow" type comment from a guy at a parade with his 10 month old son who looked almost the same size. I felt proud lol

It is amazing how different kids are in terms of weight/height up until they're toddlers (I mean I know that everyone is different, but there seems to be much more of a noticeable variety for this age, especially considering there's not food choice, etc for them). We have a friend whose daughter just turned 2 a couple months ago and she weighs about 25 lbs.... LO is 19 lbs and almost 6 1/2 months. Granted they have had issues with her gaining weight, but she hasn't been deemed unhealthy! At this rate he will catch up with her by the time he reaches 1 year!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Honestly? Just ignore people. People make similar comments about DD who has never been above 20% (except for her birth weight)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"