Special Needs

Shoulder Dystocia

I've got some reason to worry my LO might suffer from shoulder dystocia during delivery. I'm wondering if anyone on here is facing special needs as a result of a shoulder dystocia during delivery? TIA

Re: Shoulder Dystocia

• My daughter had shoulder dystocia. She had very slight torticolis that resolved itself without PT. She did have trouble nursing lying on that side for a few days. She hasn't had any other problems related to that.
    Anniversary Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO had shoulder dystocia when he was born and also was diagnosed with Erb's Palsy becasue of the trauma of delivery and being stuck. He couldn't move his arm at all for 2 months and has been in Pyhsical Therapy since he was a month old. He is now 8 1/2 months and has full use of his arm, although he does have a limited range of motion and may require some sort of surgery down the road as his muscles don't stretch right, you can't tell anything is wrong with him. Did the Hospital diagnose LO with Shoulder Dystocia on your discharge papers? Did they mentione Erb's palsy or a brachial Plexus injury? I would talk to your Ped and maybe have a Pyhsical Therapy consultation to get early intervention. Good Luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter has Erbs palsy. She has been in pt since she was a month old also. She started to lift her arm at 2 months old. She still has not been able to bend but she is in pt 2 times a week plus what I do at home. It is so difficult at first, but you get so used to it that it is not a bother anymore. I cried more when she started to move her arm then when I found out she had the handicap.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"