Natural Birth

Quick delivery

Women in my family tend to have babies very quickly with first babies coming in 4 hours or less (I had mine in 3.5 hours). My mother never had a second but my aunt had her second in about an hour and my grandma had hers in like 20 minutes (everyone was natural). The hospital I'm delivering at take about 30 minutes to get to and I'm really worried that I won't get there fast enough. With my son by the time I got to the hospital I was 5 cm dilated and was at 10 cm less than an hour later.

Anyone else have a history of super quick deliveries and how did you prepare for your second maybe coming faster than the first? 

Re: Quick delivery

• Same thing runs in my family. I chose a hospital that is only 8 minutes from my home so I am super comfortable. (this is not an option for you, I understand)

A little piece of advice, surrender. Surrender to your birth, if baby comes even sooner than expected than so be it. Baby wants to wait till you get to hospital then great, but don't worry about something that is completely out of your control.

My natural birth has already changed because I am GBS+ and I have to recieve antibiotics during labor.

So again, just let it go, you can't control what may or may not happen, just pray about it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not planning on TTC #2 until next year, but I had a 4 hour labor/delivery with DD and I live 40 minutes away from the hospital. I'm already planning on studying up on emergency deliveries and making hubs study up, too. My mom's a nurse and lives about 10 minutes away and the office she works at is just a couple blocks from our house (tiny rural town), so those are resources, too. I'll have to talk to my MW about it, but I'm guessing she'll tell me to come in whenever I think I'm in labor rather than waiting at home.

Maybe more than that, I'll have to prepare myself mentally in case my labor is longer with the next baby, because I can see myself getting frustrated with that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • *LrCg**LrCg* member
    Like your family I have very quick births (my midwife almost missed the first).  We do homebirths so its never been an issue of getting their in time.  My midwife's arrival policy is call when you want me there but for me its call when you have tingles :)  She also prepares my DH a lot prior to births on what to do if the baby arrives before the midwife.  Although you're planning a hospital birth, that might not be a bad idea for your spouse too.
  • My first labor wasn't as quick as yours (about 9 hours), but I was at 8cm when I got to the hospital, and I had my baby two hours after I got there.  With my second the midwife told me to expect it to be half as long as the first one, and she was right.

The second time around, I called the midwife as soon as I had two contrax that were 5 minutes apart, and she told me to come in (hospital is only 10 minutes away).  I lost my mucus plug that morning, so I was almost positive I was going to go into labor that day.  Next time I'm going to head to the hospital as soon as I have my first contraction--I'm not going to bother calling.  My L&D nurse said that's what she'd do, too.  I'd rather have a false alarm than deliver the baby in the car :) 

• Like with your family, women on my mom's side have fast deliveries. Since our birthing center is an hour away, my midwife said we could show up as soon as we want to, so we're not waiting long!
  • I didn't have the history that you have, but I ended up delivering DD2 on our bathroom floor.

We got sent home from the hospital, and then when we got home it all just happened very quickly.

And whilst it was stressful at the time, it's a cool story to have, and I love that DH delivered his daughter.

Honestly, with your history I would make sure you have some stuff in the car like a tarpaulin, towels etc Have your midwife on speed dial.

Odds are you'll make it there just fine, but it's better to have a few supplies just incase. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"