Special Needs

Infantile spasms/baby twitching

DD is 7 months old and a few days ago when she got really tired she started twitching (left arm jutted out, and left ear dropped to shoulder).  Last night before bed she did it about 10 times in a row and this morning upon waking did it 2 or 3 times. Everything I read talks about infantile spasms, a form of infant epilepsy.  I am freaking out.  We have an appointment at 11am, but wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.

Re: Infantile spasms/baby twitching

• DS is in the NICU now (He's less than 3 weeks old) and he has seizures every now and then.  He takes 2 anti-seizure medications and as the dosages go down based on his weight increasing, it seems that the seizures return.  One of the medications he's taking is called Keppra.  Perhaps your doctor will talk to you about this.  Also, DS may be having tremors not due to epilepsy, but as an unfortunate side effect to other medication / antibiotics. 

Good luck, my dear and keep us posted.

• All I can say is try to get a video of your DD doing the twitching.  Your doctor will know if this is something to be concerned about.  They will probably send you for an EEG to see if they see any signs of seizure activity in the brain waves.  Good luck! 

You can find videos of Infantile Spasms on you tube if you want to compare what they look like to what your DD does.  It doesn't sound the same to me, but it is possible.  My baby has Infantile Spasms and they look just like the ones on the you tube video.  It could be another form of a seizure, but only observation and an EEG will be able to tell you that.

imageimageimageimageimage 9/07 m/c baby boy @ 18wks, 4/09 m/c @ 4.5wks
  • Loading the player...
  • My id girls both have infantile spasms.  It really sounds like IS to me, but I'm not a dr.  Also, the "clusters" (as they call it) or a bunch of jerks in a row, usually happens for a lot of babies when they are tired or just waking up.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we never saw infantile spasms, but our baby developed seizures at 7 1/2 months. after the first, we did a traditional eeg that came back clear, but he had another seizure two weeks later and then we went in for the video eeg. we just had an mri done yesterday to see if there is anything anatomical going on...it is an incredibly difficult thing to watch your baby struggle with anything, but try to be strong and take it one day at a time. i am telling myself this just as much as i am telling you! :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"