Health & Exercise

Runners please help - knee pain

I started running in 2009 and worked my way up doing 10-15 miles per week before I got pregnant in summer 2011.  I didn't run while pregnant due to some issues in the first trimester.  I started back up with the couch to 5k plan knowing that I would need new shoes soon (around 300 miles were on my old ones).  Two weeks in and my knees starting hurting so I got new shoes at a running store thinking that would do the trick.  Well, no improvement so far.  Granted I have only run in the new shoes 2 times and have had about 4 runs since my knee pain started.  They hurt toward the inside of my leg and along the bottom.  Any advice on how to get them feeling better and how long it will take?  I have never really had any pains before when running.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Runners please help - knee pain

• JKohioJKohio member

My first thought was the shoes. Are your new shoes the exact same model as your old ones? I know that a lot of the newer shoes are going to a more minimalistic style as far as padding. It's possible that the new shoes don't have quite the same configuration as the old ones? Does the pain only happen when running? When you stop running (i.e. for your regular day to day activities), does the pain go away?

My second thought is in regards to how much you've been working back up to it. I don't have firsthand experience with C25k but have heard that it's pretty gentle. Are you following it 'to the letter' or because you have past running experience are you adding a little more distance or time here and there?

I presume you're running on roads/sidewalks? If there's a way you can switch over to a softer surface (dirt trail, gravel trail, track), you might want to do that to lessen the pounding a bit and help your knees heal.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My first thought was the shoes too.  The new ones seem cushioned, but are different than my old ones.  They are Brooks Pure Cadence.  I am following the program to a tee - I only added one run which was 1 mile.  I am wondering if my old shoes caused the pain, how long will it take to go away?  I feel the pain pretty much all day, not just when I run.  Not as bad today, so I am hoping its healing.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I second seeing a doctor if you want to continue running during your pregnancy. You don't want to injure them more and have to carry around extra weight on them at the same time. 

Or you could slow things down a bit and just trying walking the distances/times on the C25K program. If your knees keep hurting, try icing them for 20 minutes afterward. If they still hurt at that point, I would definitely see a doctor. 

Me:27, DH:28 - DX: MFI, varicocele repair Nov 2011 
    Post-Op SA: Count- 15 million, Motility- 75%, Morphology- 3% 
    IVF with ICSI - Stimming 10/4/12 - 10/13/12, Lupron Trigger
    ER 10/18/1212 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized
    5 day transfer 10/23/12, 3 frosties
    Beta #1 11/5/12: 453, Beta #2 11/7/12: 1,013, DD born 7/19/13
  • I get runners knee/shin splints if I don't have shoes that support my feet well.  I tend to run on the outside of my feet and if the shoes aren't designed to correct that, it will get really painful after about a week. Possibly it could be something to do with that?  Its the same for people who don't have good arches as well.  I know once the pain starts, I have to wait a couple weeks before resuming otherwise it will just reaggrivate.

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"