Special Needs

Political correctness

So I'm part of a mom's group that gets together every so often. Recently one of the moms was talking about a little girl with a developmental disability and kept referring to her as "retarded". I politely asked her to stop using that word, and she said she didn't realize (I have no idea how) that it's no longer "correct" and offensive...

My question is, what are acceptable ways for people to refer to individuals with developmental or cognitive disabilities? Specifically one of the women asked if the term "mentally challenged" is considered offensive. I'm really sorry if this post offends anyone, that was not my intention. I am just trying to educate myself, and help to educate those around me. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Political correctness

• Since I had been studying special ed. a couple years ago I've learned many things and I try not to be offended, but it's really hard. Especially knowing what I know now. Both of those terms you've mentioned have been common and acceptable phrases in the past for persons with developmental disabilities. Some states still use them in certain forms and educational practices due only to the fact that they have decided not to spend the extra money to make new forms. I had always been taught by our professors that the person comes first. So when talking about someone else, you would say "child with such and such disability" or "person(s) with such and such disability". Since my son happens to have an autism diagnosis, I hear a lot of people say "autistics" and while that rubs me wrong because that's not what I've been taught, I try not to be offended by it because many people use that phrase and don't mean anything terrible by it. I don't know if there is really a tactful way to educate those around you about what is politically acceptable. I think some terms have a fine line and each individual is going to have to decide whether or not to take offense to it. Though, I think I would have spoke up as you had in your case.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagentyravgmom:
    Since I had been studying special ed. a couple years ago I've learned many things and I try not to be offended, but it's really hard. Especially knowing what I know now. Both of those terms you've mentioned have been common and acceptable phrases in the past for persons with developmental disabilities. Some states still use them in certain forms and educational practices due only to the fact that they have decided not to spend the extra money to make new forms. I had always been taught by our professors that the person comes first. So when talking about someone else, you would say "child with such and such disability" or "person(s) with such and such disability". Since my son happens to have an autism diagnosis, I hear a lot of people say "autistics" and while that rubs me wrong because that's not what I've been taught, I try not to be offended by it because many people use that phrase and don't mean anything terrible by it. I don't know if there is really a tactful way to educate those around you about what is politically acceptable. I think some terms have a fine line and each individual is going to have to decide whether or not to take offense to it. Though, I think I would have spoke up as you had in your case.

Thank you for sharing! I really appreciate it. I know that sometimes people say things out of ignorance, and I hope that by sharing what you told me it can help clear some of the confusion up.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"