Preemies

help (repost from 0-3months)

how do i get DD to go to sleep at night? she was doing fine until last night. now she is awake from 2-3 hours and won't go back to sleep. she is getting overtired and then stays up. i put her in her swing just now hoping that will rock her to sleep  but dont wanna get in that habit. i dont care or expect for her to sttn yet, just how am i supposed to get her to go back to sleep for even just a few hours between her feedings? DH and i are going crazy.
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: help (repost from 0-3months)

• I try and keep her up during the day as much as possible. At night when she wide awake, I would turn off the tv, lights and play some soft music to help her realize that night time is for sleeping.

She's still very young, so it will take some time to adjust to night and day. Good luck. 

• i can't force her awake during the day. i try to keep her awake while she eats but she generally passes out toward the end of her feeding and there's nothing i can do to wake her up. and yes i know she's young. just trying to get ideas.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry that this won't be what you want to hear, but this is something you just have to ride out. Her adjusted age is still measured gestationally.

It will get easier - it will, I promise, but it might not for a while. I think most moms have lost their minds from lack of sleep. It sucks but there are no tricks at that age. 

• You're the same person who posted about sleep yesterday................?!

I'm usually not one to get cranky especially on the preemie board, but c'mon! She's a preemie! and she's really young! o_O 

• imagekathyn21:
    how do i get DD to go to sleep at night? she was doing fine until last night. now she is awake from 2-3 hours and won't go back to sleep. she is getting overtired and then stays up. i put her in her swing just now hoping that will rock her to sleep  but dont wanna get in that habit. i dont care or expect for her to sttn yet, just how am i supposed to get her to go back to sleep for even just a few hours between her feedings? DH and i are going crazy.

This is completely normal for a newborn.  It does get better with time but, you are expecting too much from a brand new baby.  You WILL be exhausted for a while.  Try taking shifts with your DH.  Also, I don't understand why you don't want to rock her to sleep.  Don't even worry about getting into habits right now.  If she needs to be rocked to sleep, then do it.

• OscarQOscarQ member

imagekathyn21:
    i put her in her swing just now hoping that will rock her to sleep  but dont wanna get in that habit. i dont care or expect for her to sttn yet, just how am i supposed to get her to go back to sleep for even just a few hours between her feedings? DH and i are going crazy.

Use the swing.  Don't worry about that becoming a habit.  My son practically lived in his until we got a Rock N Play.  Get a RNP if you don't have one already.  And I'm sorry but sleep is not going to be a reality for many months still.  These are the hardest parenting months (IME) but it will get better. 

• Did you read the responses people gave you yesterday?  The only thing you can do is ride this out.  Your baby is still supposed to be INSIDE YOU.  Is that not something you are understanding?  The first 3 months are hard.  When you have a preemie add however many weeks they were early to that. 

For example, my baby was 9 weeks early.  So 3 months + 9 weeks.  Then we started a routine.  We sleep trained at 10 months actual.  Until then, we just went with it.  And, guess what, he STILL wakes up a least once a night now that he is starting to crawl. It shot our sleep training all to hell.  You can live on a lot less sleep than you think. 

You need to sleep when she sleeps.  Put her crib by a bright window so she gets used to the light/dark differences.  But really, you need to RELAX.  And, also, if you post here...you should read the advice we give.   You are asking the same question you asked yesterday today.  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imagekatie4253:

Did you read the responses people gave you yesterday?  The only thing you can do is ride this out.  Your baby is still supposed to be INSIDE YOU.  Is that not something you are understanding?  The first 3 months are hard.  When you have a preemie add however many weeks they were early to that. 

For example, my baby was 9 weeks early.  So 3 months + 9 weeks.  Then we started a routine.  We sleep trained at 10 months actual.  Until then, we just went with it.  And, guess what, he STILL wakes up a least once a night now that he is starting to crawl. It shot our sleep training all to hell.  You can live on a lot less sleep than you think. 

You need to sleep when she sleeps.  Put her crib by a bright window so she gets used to the light/dark differences.  But really, you need to RELAX.  And, also, if you post here...you should read the advice we give.   You are asking the same question you asked yesterday today.  

I agree! I was just trying to give you advice about keeping her up during the day. Those were all good tips. At this point she's going to sleep mostly during the day and most likely be up at night. She's figure it out. I personally ask for help from family/friends/DH. Take turns watching over her. You also need your sleep too. 

• Your baby should still be inside you, therefore, it would be nearly impossible for you to get her in a habit. You can not spoil a newborn. When she is around three months adjusted than worry about habits you are getting her in. For now, take this opportunity to rock with her.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"