Preemies

Good weight gain??

Hi mamas!

I might be overthinking things a bit...but I'm a tad worried my DD isn't gaining as much weight and growing as she should be. She was born at 28 weeks at 2lbs 11oz and was 15.2inches long. She will be 8months old on the 9th (5 corrected) and weighs about 15 1/2 lbs now. She is super healthy otherwise and has recently started eating puree's this past weekend! :)

How much weight did your little ones gain, and how quickly? I'm a FTM so most of what I learn is from trial and error and google... which I try to stay away from! lol.

TIA!

Proud mama to Rylee Quinn, born 3 months early at 28 weeks. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Good weight gain??

• DrRxDrRx member

You can input your daughter's information here and it will plot it on a growth chart.  There is also the option for preemies. 

https://www.medcalc.com/growth/

My daughter is not on the growth charts (less than 3 percentile) if it's not adjusted for her prematurity.  When it is adjusted, she falls around the 25th percentile.  

Sorry I can't make it clicky.  

TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I think it varies by baby. My LO was a 27 weeker and weighed 1 lb 2 oz. She just turned 8 months (5 adjusted) on the 30th and only weighs just over 11 lbs but has stay pretty consistent on her own growth curve. Her peditrician said as long as she stays on that curve they aren't concerned how quickly she is gaining.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I myself am trying to figure out what is good weight gain, but am really only ever told as long as they stay on their own curve it's ok. We go for our LO's 9 month check up and he's weighing on our home scale at 16.5 pounds. He was born at 35 weeks and was 4lbs 14oz
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DD was also 2 lbs 11oz at birth and at her one year check up she was 16 lbs and 27 inches. The doctor wasn't concerned- just said she is small. She has had reflux issues in the past, so weight gain has always been slow because feeding has been challenging. I think your LO sounds like a good size but only your pedi can let you know if their weight gain is on track and they are following their own curve appropriately. It sounds like your LO is doing just fine :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My son was born at 28w and was 2lb 2 oz at birth. He has small genes and had terrible reflux in the beginning. At around 8 months he was around 12lbs 15oz. If the pedi isn't concerned, then you shouldn't be either. Every baby is different! 
  • My girls were 2 lbs 7 oz and 2 lbs 8 oz when they were born at 29 weeks 4 days. At their 1 year app. they were 17 lbs and 15 lbs 13 oz. Our pedi was happy with that because they've been following their own growth curve.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagekelligagnon:
    I think it varies by baby. My LO was a 27 weeker and weighed 1 lb 2 oz. She just turned 8 months (5 adjusted) on the 30th and only weighs just over 11 lbs but has stay pretty consistent on her own growth curve. Her peditrician said as long as she stays on that curve they aren't concerned how quickly she is gaining.

Yes, this.  My boys were also 28 weekers, 2lbs and 2lbs 7oz at birth and were just 12 and 13 lbs at 8 months old.  We've had some issues with slow growth but they are getting back on track and following their own curve now.  They are still less than 10th percentile for adjusted age, but gaining well. 

• imagekelligagnon:
    I think it varies by baby. My LO was a 27 weeker and weighed 1 lb 2 oz. She just turned 8 months (5 adjusted) on the 30th and only weighs just over 11 lbs but has stay pretty consistent on her own growth curve. Her peditrician said as long as she stays on that curve they aren't concerned how quickly she is gaining.

Yes, this.  My boys were also 28 weekers, 2lbs and 2lbs 7oz at birth and were just 12 and 13 lbs at 8 months old.  We've had some issues with slow growth but they are getting back on track and following their own curve now.  They are still less than 10th percentile for adjusted age, but gaining well. 

• Thanks mamas! I know I'm worrying for nothing. I just have to remind myself that full term babies ARE just going to be huge compared to her! :)
    Proud mama to Rylee Quinn, born 3 months early at 28 weeks. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"