North Carolina Babies
Options

positive first tri screen?

anyone have this happen?
we did the screen "just because." it was free, non-invasive and we got to see the baby again. well, now they called today with a positive result. 1/149. now we have to go for further screening. it's still a less than 1% chance that something is wrong but of course we are worried and upset. i almost regret doing it b/c the test is not always accurate. any thoughts?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: positive first tri screen?

• Options

I didn't have a positive screening but I wanted to point out that it's not that the test is always inaccurate but rather, it's a screening test so it only tells you if you have a higher probabilty of there being an issue.  It's a tough decision as to whether to proceed with further testing.  I probably would have because I'd want to know.  Good luck!

Your DC is due on my DD's birthday! :) 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

There are definitely a few ladies on here who have been through this.  Hopefully one of them will see your post and be able to respond.  I'm sorry you are going through this and good luck with whatever decision you make in trying to decide about further testing. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just remember that it's not a "positive/negative" test.  It's a screening, to determine the odds or possibility.  And it did it's job.  It told you there was an increased possibility.  Now you do further testing to find out if anything is actually wrong.  IMHO, if you don't plan on doing the further testing, then you shouldn't get the initial screening.  It just doesn't make much sense.  The tests come back often with an increased possibility, and then further testing shows that everything is normal.  I'm sure that will be the case with you too.  But it doesn't mean the initial test is wrong or inaccurate, because it's not intended to diagnose in the first place.  I'm really sorry you got those results, and I pray that everything will be ok.  Did they say what kind of further testing they'd like to do?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• Options
    Oh no Jan, I'm sorry to hear that.  I don't have any advice because we did not do the screening test.  Good luck on your decision whether to do the further testing.  I hope that everything is alrigh with your little one.
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Hey J...we didn't do it because we weren't in a high risk catergory so I don't have much in terms of advice but I just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you! I'm sure everything is fine...let me know if you need anything.

-Danielle

• Options
    thanks. i understand that it is just a screening, they explained it very well. i go to duke perinatology monday morning for another ultrasound and possible amnio. bleh. we are very much "the more you know the better." that's also why we did the screen in the first place. my gut feeling is that everything is fine. we will see.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Good luck!  I'm pretty sure that's where I went for my Level II ultrasound as well! :)
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm so sorry...I know getting those results back sucks. We had the same thing happen, but ours came back with a 1/52 chance. We elected to have the amnio and those results came back fine. We also had a Level 2 ultra sound at week 19 to check the babies heart. That came back fine too.

Once we were down the road of testing, we couldn't just stop and wait for 6 months to find out if something was wrong. So, we elected for the amnio. But I know it's a very personal choice and some might choose not to at all.

Just remember the NT scan casts a very wide net to catch a few. And, while it does catch those few, it also puts a high risk on babies who turn out perfectly ok.

If we had to do it again, I would probably opt out of the NT Scan. I think it caused more worry than it did good.

If you have further questions, feel free to page me.

• Options

I also didn't do any extra testing... I have my fingers crossed that this is just a false positive. You will be in good hands at Duke!! I will be thinking about you all weekend. Lots of hugs!!!

P.S. Congratulations on baby L!! 

• Options

We were in a similar situation at the beginning of October when our NT scan came back 1/86.  It is hard to deal with and I feel for you, regardless of the fact that it is just a heightened chance (when it happens to you, it feels like more than that.)  Of course, it's a personal decision as to how you and your hub will deal with this.  But don't feel stupid over getting the scan done to begin with (I felt this way too), we all think everything will always come back normal right?  That's what we thought anyway and were kind of in the "hey man, it's free why not" category when we had the scan done.

Anyway, ultimately we had a Level 2 Ultrasound done where they looked for more specific markers that would indicate downs (came back normal thankfully).  We decided not to do any invasive testing (CVS or amnio) only because we knew we would keep the baby no matter what and we didn't want to run the slight risk of miscarriage.  Someone women just want to know one way or the other so they can prepare, but we chose differently I guess.

I went to Duke for this and I would recommend making sure to be vocal with both the techs and the docs.  Our first appointment was excellent, but I was a bit unhappy with the communication surrounding our L2 at our second appt..  I wrote about our experience a bit on my blaag: https://mileskiller.blogspot.com/2008/11/give-pee-chance.html

Best of luck on this and remember you are not alone.

• Options

I also got some abnormal results after I had the NT/First Tri scan at about 12 1/2 weeks along, the results came back 1/100.....Not what we were expecting to hear!!!  : (  They recommended further testing, either the CVS test (chorionic villus sampling) or the amnio.  After considersation, we decided to try to CVS because we felt it would work and give us a quicker result.  It was and is a personal decision to do further testing, but we wanted to know what was happening with our baby.  Also, I am fairly certain they will not do an amnio on you before you are 15 weeks ago. 

When I had the CVS, the M.D. ended up having to perform the procedure both ways that its possible, and was only able to get more maternal cells (rather than fetal) so it just didn't work.  Based on research, it seems fairly uncommon to go through all that and the CVS to NOT work.  So we still had to get the amnio!!  They had me come in the very day I turned 15 weeks, but the membranes weren't completely fused, so I had to wait another week for it (16 wks along).  My results from the Amnio came back completely normal so that was great. 

I agree wholeheartedly with LMC, they cast a very wide net to catch just a few cases. 

I'm very sorry you're having to go through this, I know it can be very, very stressful on top of the usual stresses of being pregnant!!!  GL with your decision and page with any further ?'s. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

So sorry you are going through this!  I know you must be very worried but please know that in all likelihood everything is fine (sounds like you have no risk factors). Like pps said, it is a screening tool so an increased risk doesn't mean something is necessarily wrong. I'd be worried and upset too if it were me despite knowing cognitively that the chances are still very slim that something is wrong. I will be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way.  The waiting must be the hardest part--not knowing.  Was it the bloodwork that caused the increased risk or the measurements at the ultrasound? Let us know when you go back in and try to stay busy/distracted in the meantime (I know easier said than done).

Kim

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We didn't initially have the screen done.  When we had our ultrasound done at 18 weeks, they found cysts on Ben's brain that can be a soft marker for DS.  We went for additional testing, and additional testing - again, like others... this child was going to be born no matter what, but we wanted to know so we could be prepared.  Anyway, the first time they did the tri-screen the numbers came back 1/186 or something like that.  They did the test again and it came back 1/10,000.  My doctor told me that sometimes just the timing of the test can throw things off a lot.

Ben is perfectly healthy now.

It's very scary and worrisome, but it is also very common for inaccurate results.  I hate that you are upset over this, and I hope that it's just another inaccurate test.  Good luck and keep us posted!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"