Choosing a hospital — The Bump
Preemies

Choosing a hospital

I checked in on the pregnant with prior preemie thread but I will repost here. DS born at 36 weeks due to severe IUGR. Now pregnant with LO (team green again) facing IUGR again. Also facing heart block due to newly diagnosed Sjogrens. LO will come early if heart block. How early depends on how he/she does. We are praying to make it to term but I'm already contracting so we shall see. I've already been on bed rest for it and in hoping to avoid any more. I was on bed rest from 25-36 weeks with DS. 

So I'm planning for the first. With DS I lived in central Phoenix and my doctor delivered at the hospital where I worked which had a level three nursery. I never worried about anything. With thus LO we live in the west valley now and have a new ob. He delivers at a hospital with a 2EQ nursery and one with a level three. The 2EQ doesn't do don't procedures so if LO us born with heart block, he/she will have to be transferred out. The nearby level 3 does "some" procedures. I'd think they could place a pacemaker but who knows.

Obviously I'm planning for the worst. Id like to choose my hospital sooner rather than later-- I'm one of those OCD planners. I am afraid of being in a hospital without my baby-- that hospital is literally five minutes from my house. But I don't know if I'll be any better off at the other. I plan on meeting with one of their news to discuss. Otherwise I will but the bullet and just make the long drive downtown.

WWYD? Am I insane for thinking about this now? I don't want to make a decision and plan and then have to change everything because of disaster. I hate that. I just have a lot of fears, which I'm sure you can relate to.  

Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Choosing a hospital

• KadyraKadyra
    1000 Comments 5 Love Its
    Sorry posting from iPhone. Stupid thing won't let me go back and correct. Like preparing for the "first" should be "worst" and "news" should be "neos.". Grrrr. 
  • I don't have much to add but I wanted to wish you luck and say that I think that's smart of you. I'm pretty certain that most moms who've had a preemie previously think about things like that in advance. You get programmed to evaluate everything in NICU, right? I'd be planning that out, too. Luckily I live right down the street from all the hospitals but if I didn't and was having another I'd probably tour the higher level one and then see how it went as I got closer to viability. 
  • kck329kck329
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Love Its Photogenic

image urbanflowerpot:
    I don't have much to add but I wanted to wish you luck and say that I think that's smart of you. I'm pretty certain that most moms who've had a preemie previously think about things like that in advance. You get programmed to evaluate everything in NICU, right? I'd be planning that out, too. Luckily I live right down the street from all the hospitals but if I didn't and was having another I'd probably tour the higher level one and then see how it went as I got closer to viability. 

All of this. I'd tour both but probably pick the highest level possible unless there was a compelling reason not to. 

• Is the level 3 further away from you? How much further? That certainly plays a role, because in the case where you would have to commute back and forth to visit, certainly closer would be better. These are some other questions I would ask at the level 2 if you get a chance:

1. Who would be at the delivery to care for the baby (is there a pedi or neo in house, or would they come in?)

2. What pedi cardiologist would they consult with and where is that person based? (If the baby has heartblock and there's a cardiologist at the level 3, I would definitely deliver there)

Good luck, hoping none of these precautions are needed!

BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • KadyraKadyra
    1000 Comments 5 Love Its

Thank you for your replies and not telling me I'm overreacting. If you've gone home from a hospital and had to leave your baby there, no matter how briefly, it changes you. 

The hospital my ob delivers at, the level three, is about ten minutes away. No big deal. About twice as far as the 2EQ but not far. Once I find out if they have Peds cards there I'll feel better. Both hospitals have neos on staff 24-7. 

The level three where DS was born is about 45 minutes away with no traffic. Not as bad as for some people but far enough.  I used to work in the L&D there and know all the ob's and neos. I have some bad blood between myself and one of the ob's there, but unless we went there on a Tuesday we'd never see him. That's when he's on call. It's just less convenient to go there. 

I wish I had a crystal ball and knew what was going to happen. That'd make this choice easier. In any case, I'm doing some more research on the level three near my house. My friend had her twins and then VBAC'ed there so she'll have some opinions. Thanks! 

• I don't think you are overreacting.  I would for sure choose level 3 nicu hospital.  For those unknown things. Even if it were a little further away. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards