Preemies
Options

holidays at the NICU suck

just needed to throw that out there. after a couple hours with my family saying "he's doing great!" when i mentioned i missed him i am very drained...sometimes i am just done with pretending that i am okay with this and being grateful that he isn't sicker. sometimes i just need to cry about it and say it sucks and have someone agree.

just needed to get that out somewhere where people would know what i was feeling.

Re: holidays at the NICU suck

• Options
    I cant say that I sympathize because he was only in for Halloween, but I can imagine that it sucks. Anytime he is in there sucks especially during the holiday times and especially when he is still supposed to be inside of you. ((((( hugs))))
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Mothers day was difficult for me, and seeing friends healthy babies just a few months older out at 4th of July about killed me.  I can only imagine Thanksgiving and the holidays after are horrid.  I'm so sorry. 

Please give yourself a good cry, its okay and you deserve it.

((hugs))

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    we didn't have a holiday in the nicu so i can't say i know how you feel. but why are you pretending to be okay with this? who are you trying to be strong for? it DOES suck! big time! go for it, cry, scream, vent you are way intitled to it.

Rowen Alexander born 10 weeks early 1/28/07

www.4wquestions.blogspot.com
  • Options

Yes, holidays in the NICU do suck. They suck big hairy ones. My guys were in the NICU last Thanksgiving, and we had one baby home for Christmas. The holidays last year were HORRIBLE for us. All of our family insisted on doing family things, and all we wanted to do was sit by our sons in the hospital. Sitting through Thanksgiving dinner at the ILs, then having everybody at our house on Christmas was just awful. Everybody kept saying crap like "you have so much to be thankful for!" Um just what were we supposed to be thankful for? That we had a 2 lb and a 3lb baby in the hospital? What the hell is good about that?

Hang in there, sweetie. I know this is hard. It is too hard. Impossibly hard. You have to allow yourself to cry. You're going to fall apart if you don't.

• Options
    We didn't do a real holiday int he NICU but we do cover my brithday, 4th of July and my cousins wedding ( which we went to overnight)...they all sucked.? ?The NICU in general sucks...but it will be over soon :)? Personally those were the only days I cried ...I take lexapro ever since I started it I haven't been able to cry.??
  • Options

I'm sorry, babe.

We only had Father's Day there and fortunately the NICU hosted a pro photographer to take pictures which was just enough to recognized the day. I can't imagine one of the big holidays there. :(

• Options

I'm sorry you are going through this.  I can really relate to you.  My two were born October 28th last year and came home Feburary 1st so we spent all of the holidays in the NICU.  All I wanted to do was be with them.  I still remember my phone ringing christmas night and it was their nurse.  I was terrified as to why she was calling, but she just wanted to tell me that she gave DD a bottle and she took the whole thing for the first time.  I was beyond happy, but at the same time sad because I would have been there at that time had it not been Christmas night. 

It is also really rough when people keep telling you to be happy with how well they are doing.  You are happy and grateful, but that doesn't mean that its not hard and that your heart doesn't ache because you aren't able to have them home with you.  I completely understand how you feel and all I can say is that this year is soooo much better than last. 

• Options
    I know exactly how you feel.  Drake was in the NICU for Thanksgiving and Christmas last year and I have been crying happy tears all week that my family was all together this year!  It's ok to cry now but next year will be better!
  • Options
    I agree with you. I just got back from the NICU and I just started crying. I'm so drained and tired and trying to act like I'm ok. It just realy hit me today. It felt good to cry and let it all out. It's been an emotional roller coster for usSad
  • Options

I'm sorry. I can't even imagine. I was still in the hospital myself (and of course DS was in the NICU) for the 4th of July (we watched fireworks with my nurse from the hospital room), my 30th birthday and DH's birthday. That was sucky but I would find it a lot harder to be in your situation on Thanksgiving and Christmas, which are holidays that emphasize family.

Your family means well, wanting you to focus on the positive, but you have every right to be frustrated and vent. I still feel like no one ever let's me just "be sad," which is something I feel like I need sometimes.

((BIG HUGS))

• Options
    Yes, you're right, it totally sucks, and hearing "he's doing great" must get very tiring. I feel for you would want to cry too if I was in that spot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"