2nd Trimester
Options

BF and corporate America

I have not decided if I am going to BF or not (Yes I know all the benefits to the baby and myself) BUT I work for a PR firm in corporate america and can not see how it would fit into my work life. I travel a descent amount, either in the car with other co workers for a few hours, go to an event for a few hours and drive back. Or I fly somewhere and spend a day or more out of town. I also attend a lot of Press conference that take place and different times of the work day and attend meetings that are several hours long. I can not leave a meeting to go pump in the bathroom or pump while in the car with co workers. I was wondering how other mom's have worked around this? 

Re: BF and corporate America

• Options
    It was too much for me to do at work so I stopped pumping during work hours and did it just at home.  Grace was exclusively BF for the first 3 months, then she started taking some formula.  I continued to pump some breastmilk for an additional 6 weeks after I started back to work (when she was 4.5 months) so she got at least some breastmilk for 6 months.  I don't want to say it isn't worth it to find a way to continue, I just knew it would be too complicated for me.
    BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • Options

It is really a personal choice.  You could just BF during your mat leave, then wean right before you go back?  I am in medical sales, so am in my car a good bit, but thankfully have a home office which was a blessing (not having to hide in a corp office to pump!).  I did pump in my car from time to time in a parking lot (and driving down the rd, LOL), pump plugged into cigg lighter, blanket over me, which I look back on and laugh...  I was a bit over the top!  I had a travel a couple times for short trips during the 8 mos I BF, and it was a PITA having to get a mini fridge in my hotel room to keep milk in, haul a cooler on the plane, take breastmilk thru security, have them test it, etc.  I am thankful I gave DD those 8 mos of 'liquid gold', and she is super smart, healthy, and almost never sick.  However, she very likely would be the same had I given her formula!

With all that being said, I am pretty sure I will wean around 3-4 mos this time around, when I go back to work.  Mainly b/c I had some PPD/severe baby blues with DD, and it stopped completely when I quit nursing.  BF really stressed me out, and looking back, it is sort of sad that I was such a hot mess mentally during those 8 mos.  I have very sensitive hormones, and I do think for me, the BF was deterimental to my stress and anxiety...  DH and I have already decided, I will get on Zoloft as soon as DD#2 is born, (taken it before and worked well for me), I will attempt to BF for 12 wks, but you know what?  If I feel like a psycho, I will just quit and move on.  Formula is great and fine.  Yes, breastmilk is ideal...  etc etc, you know all this.  Guess what...  your DC will be fine no matter what you decide.  Finally, after all this rambling, I do think your situation may be challenging, so you may want to weigh your options when you go back to work.  GL!

Chemical Pregnancy 5.2011. BFP 9.2011 MC @ 8.5w D&C 11.4.2011 sweet pea is always in our hearts. BFP 3.23.2012! Our baby turkey is due 11.22.2012! Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm an attorney and I exclusively pumped for DD after I went back to work (9 weeks PP) until she was 11 months old.

It is hard, but it can be done. Granted, I did not travel as much as you likely have to. However, I pumped 2x a day when I was in my office. I have pumped while in court for a hearing (in a locked jury room), I have pumped in my car. I would have no qualms about taking my pump with me to a long client meeting and having to excuse myself if I needed to. I plan on doing this all again this time.

It's hard and annoying and a lot of extra work - but you get on a schedule, stick to it as closely as you can, and it works out (and for the most part people understand or just leave you alone).

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would ask your question on the Breastfeeding board also. You would probably get a lot of good information over there too!

• Options
    jlh2716jlh2716 member
    I have no experience in your situation at all--I'm a FTM and self employed and WAH, and only part-time at that. But, I have heard of some women who formula feed while at work, and breast feed when they get home/on the weekends. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, and your little one will still get a lot of those benefits of breastfeeding. Check out the breastfeeding board, there's a lot of helpful ladies over there, and I think some of them exclusively pump or only do it part time! Also, check out La Leche League (https://www.llli.org/)--it's a wealth of information and other resources on breastfeeding.
  • Options
    nealblnealbl member

My milk supply decreased a lot when I returned to work. I would spend over an hour of my day pumping and would end up with not even a whole bottle. I decided at to wean off of BFing at that point.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree with one of the posters above. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. It is worth it to figure out the best scenario for work and bf'ing, even if that means pumping just once while at work, or not at all and only bf'ing when at home. The more breast milk, the better, but some is definitely better than none. Also, being able to nurse when you are with your baby whether you pump at work or not, has soooo many advantages.
  • Options

imagejulieteve:
    I agree with one of the posters above. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. It is worth it to figure out the best scenario for work and bf'ing, even if that means pumping just once while at work, or not at all and only bf'ing when at home. The more breast milk, the better, but some is definitely better than none. Also, being able to nurse when you are with your baby whether you pump at work or not, has soooo many advantages.

Yes

I was a very determined bf. I pumped on a break and at lunch until he turned 1 and then just during lunch for a while, then just nursed him when he was around, then just before bed until he weaned himself.

It is hard work to keep your supply with stress of work, but it also depends on how you feel about it. Your situation sounds pretty complex, but you do not have to make any decisions now. Wait and see how it goes. GL!

babies

• Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I feel much better about my situation and will continue to weigh my options! Glad to hear I'm not the only one in the all or nothing boat! 
  • Options

I will also likely have to do some type of mixture of BF and formula.  I am fortunate in that I only need to work part time, but I am a mobile children's therapist.  It will be a big challenge to constantly pump in the car while I am trying to make the most of the community travel I will need to do.

Im going to give it a shot and see what happens re: pumping, but I'm definitely not in the all or nothing camp.  I imagine that my LO will wind up getting a couple feedings a day with formula while I am at work in the evenings, with me BF when I'm at home in the mornings, early afternoon and overnight once I go back to work.

I personally think while BF is best if it's possible, it's also not always possible for every mom and baby for one reason or another.  

Try not to beat yourself up - you have to do what is best for your situation, and as long as LO is fed, the baby won't mind :)

Little B 9.20.12
  • Options
    I travelled while BFing and two different airlines allowed me into first class lounges (with a coach ticket) so I could pump. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"