Adoption

Books on adoption

IRRIRR member

I just picked up and started reading "Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish their Adoptive Parents Knew".  1/3 of the way through and very informative. So far it talks mostly about the LOSS adoptive kids feel about their birth moms.   I may have my mom read it as well, because it will be important for grandparents to understand what is going on too and see what language is appropriate for the child when they are sad or have questions.  I also picked up but haven't opened "Adoption Nation".  Of course all of the back cover has quotes that this is a MUST READ and "Invaluable Resource".  Just wondering if there are any must reads out there that any of you have read and would recommend.  If this topic has been covered before, sorry, I only have gone back a month or two in posts.

Thanks.

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

Re: Books on adoption

• I really loved "Adopted for Life" by Russell E. Moore.  It's written from a Christian perspective, so depending on your personal views it may or may not be helpful.
  • I'm reading a bunch of books my agency suggested currently.  So far they've been pretty outdated (most were written around the time that open adoptions were just becoming a "thing"), but they have all had good info so far.  I posted the list a couple of weeks ago, but let me know if you can't find the post and I'll post it again!
  • Loading the player...
  • I found The Open Adoption Book by Bruce Rappaport, PhD VERY helpful in sharing facts about why most DAs are to some extent open now. 

It reads a bit like a text book w/lots of research and facts and figures. It also has a nice summary of the history of closed vs open adoption which I think is helpful. 

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • IRRIRR member

imageGnomeSweetGnome:
    I'm reading a bunch of books my agency suggested currently.  So far they've been pretty outdated (most were written around the time that open adoptions were just becoming a "thing"), but they have all had good info so far.  I posted the list a couple of weeks ago, but let me know if you can't find the post and I'll post it again!

Never found your specific list but I did do a "search" of the posts and found some.  Thanks.

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"