Trouble TTC

Do you drink?

I know that this question is asked all the time over on TTGP, and the consensus on that board often seems to be that most will drink until they have a positive test.  I asked my doctor about it this cycle, as I am otherwise a social drinker.  Her opinion is that a couple of drinks will make no difference, and that there is no reason to stop completely until you test positive.  I am still a little hesitant, but admit that I want to believe that it is okay, in moderation of course.  I am curious as to what you ladies do, particularly if you are doing IUIs, IVF or injects?   
Miscarriage in January 2012 at 8 weeks
Subsequently diagnosed with low P4, LOR. MH DX low motility, varicocele 
BFP in July 2012 (Gonal-f + trigger + IUI#2 (B2B) + prometrium)
Lost Baby A prior to 7 weeks; large SCH; Baby B (Bug) was born in March 2013
BFP June 2014; EDD February 19, 2015

Re: Do you drink?

• I havent had a drink in about 6 years, but if I still drank I would not drink during a cycle.
    http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • I'm not a big drinker, but I will have a glass of wine from time to time before O. In the 2ww, I will occasionally (once or twice max) have a half glass or less. I don't know if I would do the same in an IVF cycle, but maybe.
    4 IUIs: Bfn
    Antagonist IVF 7 retrieved, 4 fert w/ICSI&AH, 2 blasts transferred. Beta #1 9/20: 367 Beta #2 9/22: 841
    image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I drink during cycles.  I don't get raging drunk, but I do enjoy a light wine buzz.
    Me, 33, DH, 36
    Me - Right Tube blocked & Hashi's. DH - Fine
    Trying for baby #2 since July 2011
    6 natural & 6 medicated cycles, all BFN. 1 missed mc in 10/11.
    Surprise natural BFP on 6/18/12, CP on 6/27/12
    Began stims (Bravelle & Menopur) for IVF #1 on 7/20/12
    ER on 8/2 , 7R, 5F ET on 8/7, 2 embies transferred
    Beta #1 - 231 (9dp5dt), Beta #2 - 695 (12pd5dt)
  • I do not drink during the 2ww. RE said that you should treat your body like you are pregnant during that wait. I drink the rest of the cycle if I feel like it, but I am not a big drinker anyways. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • alb245alb245 member

**Sits glass of wine down on the table so I can respond**

I drink while waiting to O but not enough to get drunk. I'll have a beer or two during the 2ww if we are at a social event with friends but otherwise I try not to drink during the 2ww.  

~~PgAL March Siggy Challenge - Pet Shaming~~
    TTC #1 since Feb 2011 Dx: MTHFR C677T Homozygous, Antiphospholipid Syndrome, LPD
    BFP #1: 8/4/11 c/p 4w5d
    BFP #2: 9/4/11 c/p 5w0d
    BFP #3: 1/16/12 c/p 4w0d
    BFP #4 8/9/12 m/c 7w3d
    BFP #5 11/2/12 ?EDD 7/16/13? PLEASE grow sweet baby!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagealb245:

**Sits glass of wine down on the table so I can respond**

I drink while waiting to O but not enough to get drunk. I'll have a beer or two during the 2ww if we are at a social event with friends but otherwise I try not to drink during the 2ww.  

This exactly ;)  When we start IVF in September, I will stop though... 

image      image    

IVF #1 September 2012, beta #1: 213; beta #2: 580. Expecting Twins! 
    EDD 6/9 lost one angel at 9w3d :( 
    Baby boy arrived 6/1/13
    FET #1 10/14, BFP -Chemical Pregnancy :(
    Everyone Welcome

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'll drink til it's pink. Good for you if you choose to abstain, but if I had to deal with the past 2 years without fruity coolers I'd be up on a clock tower somewhere.
  • I'd stop drinking once I started meds and wouldn't drink until the cycle failed.  So, I could drink about 4 days a month....
  • I'm not a huge drinker anyway, but so far, I drink whenever. My drinking consists of a couple glasses of wine, or a couple beers. I'm over getting drunk.  If we ever move onto IVF, I will probably abstain during the cycle.
  • imageEllie 08:
    I drink during cycles.  I don't get raging drunk, but I do enjoy a light wine buzz.

this

• I have not had a drink in about 5 years. Over the past 2-3 years I've had IUI's and 2 rounds of IVF now... no drinking, and my RE specifically stated "no alcoholic beverages"

Me = 39 DH = 50 TTC (since 01/2009 after a short break, I stopped counting *cycles* in 2010)
    DX 2010 : Unknown Infertility , AMA
    HSG 2005 = Normal / HSG 2010 = Normal
    SA 2005 = Normal / SA 2010 /2012 = Slightly low count : motility, morphology GREAT!
    Chromosomal analysis, MTHFR, ANA's, Lupus, Protein C, Protein S, APCR = Normal 2011

M/C : 2005 (7wk), 2010 (6wk), 2011 (7wk)

8 IUI's 2010-2011 all BFN

IVF/ICSI antagonist 01/2012 #1 = BFN

IVF/ICSI antagonist long 06/2012 #2 = BFN

IVF/ICSI/CGH MDLF New Clinic/New RE 11/2012 #3 = One beautiful boy blasty frozen PGS normal

IVF/ICSI/CGH MDLF 02/2013 #4 = One more beautiful boy blasty frozen PGS normal

FET 6/20 : One 5AA PGS normal transferred Beta 1 6/28 = 53.9 / Beta 2 7/1 = 220 / Beta 3 7/3 = 550!

1 U/S  6w3d - Heartbeat 119 /  2 U/S - 7w5d- Heartbeat 169 / 3 U/S (OB) 8w5d - Heartbeat still great!

Baby G welcomed into the world 3/7/2014

SAIF / PAIF always welcome ****

• cdale86cdale86 member
    I am not a huge drinker either but DH and I have both decided to abstain now that we have started IUIs.  We just want to eliminate anything that could possibly have a negative effect on this whole process.  He needed a little encouragement but I don't want to play the blame game or "what if you didn't drink at all that cycle."  
    2 year TTC journey with successful IVF in Nov 2012- B/G Twins!
    Baby Boy diagnosed with omphalocele and diaphragmatic hernia
    Born at 32 weeks due to PROM.  Emergency c-section due to prolapsed cord.
    Said Goodbye to our sweet Bennett after 5 short hours.  
    Spent 35 days in the NICU with our little girl.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Hell yeah!  Errr, something that makes me sound like less of an alcoholic.  Really, it's rare.  But occasionally, after a really stressful week, we down a bottle of wine over dinner and say f*** it to whatever work/chores we have to do that night.  Not during the 2ww of course, during that time maaaaaaybe a sip or half a beer at the beginning, but otherwise no.  Honestly at this point (married 11 years), I feel the need to drink in front of people to keep them from asking if we are pregnant. 
    TTC since 1/11. "Unexplained" IF. 6/12 - 50mg Clomid + TI = BFN. 7/12 and 8/12 - 50mg Clomid + IUI = BFN. Taking a break and planning for a final IUI before the end of the year, but back to considering adoption. Repeat AMH of 0.67, ouch. 3rd try 10/12 - 100mg Clomid and back-to-back IUIs = BFP!
  • katib77katib77 member
    on a natural cycle I drink however much I want.  On IUI's and injects I keep it to just one or two drinks once in a while if I feel like it...but most of the time I just abstain in the 2ww during treatment cycles.  

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• I teach; therefore, I drink. However, as soon as this IVF cycle begins, I'm staying away from it..a few glasses of wine are not worth interfering with a $20,000 gamble...even though it is "technically" harmless. 
    Dx: Stage IV Endo & PCOS
    Lap #1 12/2011
    6 Rounds of IVF w/ ICSI: July 2012-July 2013: BFN {Bravelle, Menopur, Ganirelix, Endometrin, Dexemethasone}
    Lap # 2: 12/2013

• I drank nothing for months before and during the first IUI. Second IUI I had a couple glasses of wine obviously nothing worked for me. My Re said 1 drink a week when trying to conceive.  

• I do drink while TTC, but not during a medicated cycle.  I did give up beer and hard liquor and only drink wine, for the most part when I do have a drink. I figure with all the meds and $$$, better safe than sorry. 
    Me: 37, DH: 35 :: TCC since 2/11 SA: Perfect! CD3  HSG = Blocked Right Tube
    April- Femara 2.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN   May- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN
    June- Femara 7.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN  August- Lap & Hysteroscopy = Blocked & Partially Blocked Tubes
    September- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN  October- 100mg Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    IVF # 1: Stims 11/30 ER 12/12/12! (10R, 10M, 8F, 2T, 6 F) :: Beta #1- 176  c/p @ 4w4d
    FET #1 February 26th :: Lost 4 to Thaw, Transferred 2 = BFFN
    IVF # 2 Stims 5/10 ER 5/21 (15R, 13M, 13F, 2T, 7F- 6d3 & 1d5) :: Beta # 1- 15 c/p @ 4w
    FET #2 Cancelled, Right Tube Developed a Hydro  8/28 Hydro & Scar Tissue Removed  Cleared for FET
    FET #2.2 Scheduled for September 20th
    2 Thawed, 2 Transferred! Beta #1- 96, Beta #2 906! :: EDD June 10th
    2015- 2 failed FET. We are done
    SURPRISE! BFP 8/8/16   EDD 4/1/17

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageLSU Tigers:
    I teach; therefore, I drink. However, as soon as this IVF cycle begins, I'm staying away from it..a few glasses of wine are not worth interfering with a $20,000 gamble...even though it is "technically" harmless. 

BWAHAHAHA!  AAAAAAAAAAMEN!  I joke with MH all the time that I could single handedly keep Trader Joe's in business with their "Two Buck Chuck" during the school year!

• I do drink during my cycle (even in 2WW) except during my last IUI cycle with injections.

My DH's aunt had brought up to me that she had participated in a study that was looking into the effects of drinking alcohol before conceiving. Apparently, the study is showing that there can be some correlation with ADHD in children. My best friend had also heard the same thing and brought it up to me and her and her hubby were going to abstain for 90 days (amount of time for egg production) ~75 days for sperm but there were too many events where they wanted to have a drink so they kyboshed that plan.

• I usually drink throughout the cycle, but stop four or five days after an IUI, up until my beta.  Last time I asked my RE about it, and she said that I should stop drinking at the point where there's a chance I might be pregnant, four or five days after IUI.  I always read for interactions with the meds before my cycle and so far none of them have had any.
    Unexplained infertility; TTC #1 for 5 years
    IUI #1; m/c;c/p 3/15/2012
    IUI #2: Clomid, ovidrel trigger, prometrium;4/5/12; BFFN; IUI #3, clomid and injects; Beta June 8th????
    imagePhotobucket
  • There were a few months when I did not drink at all while TTC.  There were a few when I didn't drink during the 2ww.  There were a few that I did.  

I have decided that I will not be drinking during treatment cycles.  At all.  This is just a personal decision, I do not side eye anyone that does.  

I think that if you are having a few drinks, you are ok.  I think that heavy drinking is irresponsible whether you are TTC or not.  (Again, personal opinion.)

Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • I do drink.

Back when we first started TTC - I was always under the thought process that if drink till it was pink. Then when it started to take a while I cut way back during the 2ww. Now that I know we have such low chances of getting pregnant on our own, I drink whatever I feel like during my cycles.

However I am hoping to do IVF in July- and as soon as the injections start, the drinking will stop all together!

I LOVE wine. I'll miss is Terri,y but am happy to give it up if it means a BFP! 

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• Heavily.

I say that somewhat TIC, but the last month has been rough and I've unabashedly enjoyed a shytload of wine.

During my IUI cycle, though, the Clomid made me nauseated and alcohol tasted weird so I abstained unintentionally. My RE didn't have an opinion on me drinking during an IUI cycle unless I was drinking significantly several times a week - he said keep it to a couple drinks a week or so.

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • I'm not a big drinker...Usually will only have one or two drinks occasionally. On unmedicated cycles, I don't see an issue with drinking when ever. But when I do move forward with medicated cycles, I won't be drinking.
    Me: 25
    Dx PCOS (June 2006, re-confirmed March 2012), Anemia (May 2010-Still fighting to correct it), Fibromyalgia (May 2011)
    Initial b/w - normal
    HSG (March 2012) revealed right tube open and looking great. Left tube deformed with hydrosalpinx.
    Lap (April 2012) Removal of left fallopian tube. Right tube open and viable, but "rather enlarged." NO evidence of endometriosis...Uterus looks beautiful and "very capable" of carrying a pregnancy!
    October 2012 - Clomid 50mg + trigger + IUI = BFN
    With all factors taken into account, RE is recommending IVF. Planning on moving forward with treatment as a single woman using DS by Summer 2013.
    After 17 months of trying, Surprise BFP #1 2.15.2008 | EDD 8.7.2008 | Lost 2.16.2008
    After 2 more years of trying, Surprise BFP #2 1.29.2012 | EDD 9.11.2012 | Lost 1.29.2012
    Surprise BFP #3 3.27.2012 | EDD 12/2/2012 | Lost 4.1.2012
    imageimage
    someecards.com - Get a colonic?!? Some older lady said that's what she did to cure her infertility...Who knew a fancy enema and a sparkling clean ass would cure my infertility.
    My Blog Pinterest
  • I'm so glad someone asked this because I've often asked if it would be okay to have just a couple drinks...I usually will say it's ok til 2ww then take it easy.
  • imageKdgTeacher:

imageLSU Tigers:
    I teach; therefore, I drink. However, as soon as this IVF cycle begins, I'm staying away from it..a few glasses of wine are not worth interfering with a $20,000 gamble...even though it is "technically" harmless. 

BWAHAHAHA!  AAAAAAAAAAMEN!  I joke with MH all the time that I could single handedly keep Trader Joe's in business with their "Two Buck Chuck" during the school year!

Love this!  Me too!

I am on my second medicated cycle.  Last cycle I drank throughout (it was my 30th bday and my husband took me on vacation to celebrate!) but kept it in moderation.  This cycle I drank through the meds, but stopped the day before O.  I might have a glass of wine this weekend, but might not.  I don't really feel like it is THAT big a deal, but I also wonder if it could affect implantation or something (havent found conclusive evidence either way)...

PCOS 
    Off bcp March 2011 
    Aug 2011-Feb 2012 tried to regulate cycles w/ Metformin -- no luck 
    April 2012: Clomid (50mg) + Injects + TI = BFN
    May 2012: Clomid (100mg) + Injects + TI = BFP on 6/8/12   

Lilypie - (74ba)
  • I would drink socially (1-2 glasses with dinner on the weekends) but stopped completely when I started IVF cycle. I read that even 1 drink during an IVF cycle can reduce chances of success by 50%!
    Photobucket TTC since 1999. Unexplained Infertility. IUI#1 Oct. 12/11 - BFN IUI#2 - Nov 8 - Failed
    IUI#3 - Jan 6 IVF#1 -5/18 - stims start (225 gonal f, 75 menopur, 5 lupron) ER 5/29 - 14R, 11M, 7F. 6/1 - Transferred 2 8cell embryos (grade 1 and 2). 8dp3dt +HPT, Beta#1 - 92, Beta #2 - 174, Beta#3 - 614, Beta#4 - 2010. 6wk u/s - TWINS! Baby A 114bpm, Baby B 112 bpm Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For most of my cycles, I did not drink at all during the 2ww after IUI, however, the last few cycles, those being injects too, I decided that not drinking didn't obviously work so if I felt like a glass of wine or two, or even a beer, I had it. I did not go overboard and I would not get drunk.

We will be starting IVF at the end of July, and I will completely cut out alcohol during my IVF cycle.

TTC #1 since 6/2010
    8 IUIs - 3 Cancelled cycles - 1 Ectopic Pregnancy with Left tube removal = A broken heart
    IVF #1 : Fall 2012
    15R - 13M - 13F w/ICSI - Transferred 2 day 5 blasts = BFP!!!
    8 Frosties!
    Beta #1: 135, Beta #2: 312, Beta #3: 996
    10/21: Saw one beautiful flickering heartbeat! EDD: 6/12/13
    ?S/PAIFW?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimageBabyFruit Ticker

• imageLyssRob:
    imageKdgTeacher:

imageLSU Tigers:

Love this!  Me too!

I am on my second medicated cycle.  Last cycle I drank throughout (it was my 30th bday and my husband took me on vacation to celebrate!) but kept it in moderation.  This cycle I drank through the meds, but stopped the day before O.  I might have a glass of wine this weekend, but might not.  I don't really feel like it is THAT big a deal, but I also wonder if it could affect implantation or something (havent found conclusive evidence either way)...

Me Three! 7 more wake-ups!!

I do still like a good beer, I just can't have one every day or my pants don't fit.  We're homebrewers, so there's always something tasty in the fridge.  However, if I think there's a chance it could be pink, I'm one and done in the 2WW. Quality not quantity.

TTC #1 since March 2011 dx: annovulation/unexplained Jan 2011: Hysterosonogram clear Nov 2011: HSG Clear, SA normal 3 failed rounds Clomid 2 failed rounds Femara BFP: 7-3-12 BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagejez_girl:
    I'll drink til it's pink. Good for you if you choose to abstain, but if I had to deal with the past 2 years without fruity coolers I'd be up on a clock tower somewhere.

This. Just substitue fruity cooler for lite beer from Miller.  

• I do. I also sometimes drink 1 or 2 during the 2ww (in week 1).  I will stop once I start my IVF cycle. I want any chance I can get!

04/07/11- PCOS Diagnosis w/GYN. Put on Metformin (1500 mgs)
    04/25/11- 1st consultation with RE (Confirmed PCOS & Anovulation)
    05/09/11-HSG-All clear! 05/13/11-SA-Normal. Found out on 2/14/12, low Morph (1%).
    06/17/11-10 days of Clomid (100, 150) No response.
    07/10/11-03/20/12- 5 Injectable (Follistim) IUI cycles; 4 BFN, 1 C/P. (stims ranged from 11 days to 25 days)
    05/28/12-Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. 75 mcg Synthroid.

IVF with ICSI in June/July 2013 = BFP!. Beta # 1 = 123. Beta # 2 = 252. Due March 25th. Baby boy arrived March 27, 2013!

FET #1 - 10/4/14 = BFP!! Beta #1 = 179. Beta # 2 = 499. Due June 22nd.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I've been drunk, abstained, had a glass or two, stopped during 2ww. All of it. And none of it has worked for us. I have been pregnant twice, and both of those cycles I drank throughout.  This last cycle, I never got drunk, but did imbibe.  I think when we start IUI, I will likely abstain during the 2ww.
  • I love my wine but this was our first medicated cycle and I gave it up.  I will drink once AF starts but probably will only drink during AF.  As a PP said, I just want my body to be at its best.  I also completely gave up caffeine a few months ago and next on my list to eliminate is aspartame.
    Me: 43 DH: 39 - AMA, DOR
    Mommy to Sami (IVF), Born 8.30.13
    Surprise non-assisted BFP - 12.29.2014, Beta 1 = 322, Beta 2 = 760
    EDD 9.7.2015

BabyFruit Ticker 

• I won't drink during the 2ww.  Before I O, I will have a few, but nothing too crazy.

**SIGGY WARNING**

TTC since Nov 2010 | Me: 29, DH: 31 
    DX - Severe DOR, Stage II Endo
    6 rounds medicated TI, 3 failed IUIs, 2 failed IVFs
    After nearly 4 years of trying, our 1st BFP on IVF #3 (5R, 3M, 3F, 3 day 5 blasts frozen) 
    FET - Beta #1 - 116, Beta #2 - 266!! 1st U/S on 10/6 - HB 121 and measuring perfectly! EDD 5/30/15

Everyone Welcome
    Baseball, Beagles, Beer and Babies Blog

imageimageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagejez_girl:
    I'll drink til it's pink. Good for you if you choose to abstain, but if I had to deal with the past 2 years without fruity coolers I'd be up on a clock tower somewhere.

Bahahahaha!  True that!  Except for me it's ice cold Blue Moons.  Just one in an evening here and there, but it makes a difference.

Me: 31 DH: 30
    Dx DOR (AMH .49), Stage 3/4 Endo, Septate Uterus
    After 2 years, numerous tests, abdonimal surgery, and 2 IVF cycles, we are so grateful to be expecting.
    Transferred 2 "perfect" 8-cell embies 6/12. Beta 1 6/25: 472! Beta 2 6/27: 1055!
    First u/s shows TRIPLETS! WHAT?!?! Both embies stuck and one split. OMG

Levi, Henry, and Amelia were born healthy at 34w3d.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"