Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Birthday parties-opening gifts

So, I'm not a fan of opening gifts at parties, especially when the child is too young to really understand or sit the entire time.

I'd prefer to not open gifts at all during the party, but it's a "norm" in my family to do so.

Would you go against the norm and do your own thing or stick with what your family has been doing for years and years (even if you don't like it)?

Re: Birthday parties-opening gifts

• Options
    avblissavbliss member
    Id buck the trend and skip the gift opening part. Its exhausting for LO, plus they want to stop and play with everything. I like to put a few things away and give them a few months later (DD1 & 2 are Dec birthdays so they only get gifts one month a year).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We always open gifts in front of the person who bought them (unless they were shipped to us).  I think it is respectful.  They went out of their way to buy you or your child a gift and they want to be there to see you open it.  Personally, I would be a bit put off if I bought someone a gift and they didn't open it while I was there.

ETA: My DD was excited about quite a few of her gifts and had a lot of fun opening them.  She understood the concept pretty well, especially after we helped her open a few.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MrsSRMrsSR member

imagembgreenwalt:
    We always open gifts in front of the person who bought them (unless they were shipped to us).  I think it is respectful.  They went out of their way to buy you or your child a gift and they want to be there to see you open it.  Personally, I would be a bit put off if I bought someone a gift and they didn't open it while I was there.

Really?  I just find this odd.  I personally hate watching gift opening.  Also, in my family most of the adults are talking and aren't watching the opening at all.

That's why I don't get why they still do it.

Hmmmm..  it's good to know that some might be put off by not opening them.  I never thought that way.

I guess my biggest problem now is she is so young.  She really isn't going to care or she'll open one and be so distracted by that she won't want to open more.

• Options

Yeah, we haven't done it yet.  I do  not understand being put off by not.  When I go to a grown up party, I don't expect the hostess to open the hostess gifts during the party... 

Typically our parties have siblings so age range 0-5, not fun.  I imagine around 6, when parents start dropping kids off for birthday parties, it will be an activity.  I think in that situation it's more fun for the kids because they are the ones representing- meaning the gift is truly from them, so it's more fun to watch. 

DD#1 is 4.5 and is just now getting really excited about peers' parties, picking out a gift they'd genuinely like, keeping the secret... so I think she is just getting to the point of enjoying watching others open. 

I was really shocked when my friends started having kids and then going to their parties and no one opened gifts.  I think it bothered me because that's not how we used to do it... but it totally makes it a more enjoyable party!

• Options
    if the party is at a home or something not too crazy like a little kids gym place, i would open the gifts quickly b/c i do think some people want to see that the child got the gift. if it's at a kid place, i think you can totally get away with skipping it. i don't mind watching gifts being opened as long as the parents GET ON WITH IT and don't let Jr. open every.single.one. himself and then play with it.
    click the pic (blog)
  • Options

Do whatever you want.

We've always opened gifts in front of people (and I did this growing up) but we also don't have parties with a huge amount of people. I think it's nice for people to see the kid open the gift they brought. Plus, DS was VERY excited for presents for his 2nd birthday. As soon as he saw them he asked to open them.

• Options
    imagembgreenwalt:

I totally agree.  Our guests (all family) LOVE seeing LO open gifts. They put so much time into buying the gift.  I am sure if it's a big party, people may get bored, but it's the norm here. It wold be weird to NOT do it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Options
    I have never been to a party where gifts weren't opened.  

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    My son was able to open his gifts when he turned 2 years old on May 26th.  It was a lot of fun to see his expression when he opened the gifts--some gifts --he just threw on the floor.  Gotta love a 2 year old. 
    imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Options
    lilleslilles member

My side of the family never opens gifts at party's. After we sing Happy Birthday and eat cake people start to leave. For many reasons one of them being not to make people feel bad about what they have given. For example is some gives a coloring book and crayons (which the LO will love anyways) and then someone else gives a ton of gifts or a very pricey gift the other person might feel bad/embarrassed. Also at this age we have seen fights from LOs wanting the toys the bday child has gotten etc.

My husband's side always opens presents. The first bday we threw a party was her second birthday. So we had the cake and his family was hanging around waiting for the presents to be opened. My LO was super tired and cranky by this point so I just made an announcement thanking them for coming and let them know that we would not be opening presents. I think some of them were offended but you but I also believe you have to respect the traditions of the people hosting. After a while people started to leave and that was it.

I did mail out thank you cards that I had DD one color which we do every time they receive presents.

• Options

imageabartow:
    I have never been to a party where gifts weren't opened.  

Yes

Then again, neither dh or I come from huge families so gift opening doesn't take that long.   The family loves to watch ds enjoying his gifts, and he's about at the age where he can open them without my help.   

• Options
    imageMrsSR:

imagembgreenwalt:

Really?  I just find this odd.  I personally hate watching gift opening.  Also, in my family most of the adults are talking and aren't watching the opening at all.

That's why I don't get why they still do it.

Hmmmm..  it's good to know that some might be put off by not opening them.  I never thought that way.

I guess my biggest problem now is she is so young.  She really isn't going to care or she'll open one and be so distracted by that she won't want to open more.

I also hate watching gift opening - but I also like giving gifts and seeing them being opened. I guess I just really don't care what other people gave. I usually don't care too much either way, but if I really wanted them to open our gift I would have no problem asking "Would you mid if we gave little Johnny the gift we brought?" or something similar.  

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • Options
    I think you should always open the presents at the party.  It is rude otherwise.  I always make time for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"