Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

I think my boob is broken

I have the most massive clog I've ever had.  It is seriously taking up half my boob, which is completely misshapen - kind of hilarious-looking actually.  Anyway, I get clogs fairly regularly so I like to think I know the tricks to get rid of them but this is one stubborn mother.  Nikolai nursed on it like 3 or 4 times this evening and couldn't get anything out.  I've been pumping since 8 (4 attempts so far) and I've gotten less than an ounce.  From the looks of it there are at least 5 or 6oz in there.  I've tried massage - it's like massaging a rock.  Hot compress, no luck, pumping leaning over, nothing.  What else can I do?  I'm starting to feel like it's never going to come out and my boob will just explode instead :(
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I think my boob is broken

• Options
    I get clogs like crazy. My neighbor used get them worked with her twins and told me her secret which has world for me when nothing else has. I keep a metal bowl in the bathroom and every time I go in there for any reason I fill it with hot water and dangle my boob in it while expressing the other boob- then I switch with new hot water. I also do it in the shower. Having it submerged in the hot water seems to really help. And of course get baby to nurse afterwards. Good luck.

oh and I started taking lecithin supplements which are supposed to help lessen the viscosity of the milk and reduce clogs.

• Options
    A heating pad helped mine when I weaned.  I have a small heating pad that I kind of rolled and formed into a C shape and stuffed it into my sports bra.  It helped a ton!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's been a while but I remember people telling me to let the hot water of the shower run on your breast and try expressing by hand while the water is still running over it.
  • Options

imagekfrix13:
    It's been a while but I remember people telling me to let the hot water of the shower run on your breast and try expressing by hand while the water is still running over it.

Yep, this is what I used to do.  As soon as I would start getting milk out in the shower I would go pump until it cleared.

• Options
    imageRootBeerFloat29:

imagekfrix13:

Yep, this is what I used to do.  As soon as I would start getting milk out in the shower I would go pump until it cleared.

Ditto. Hot water always seemed to work better than a heating pad. 

• Options

Have you tried nursing on all fours?

(ridiculous, I know, but effective)

• Options

I was just lurking on the BFing board and came across this thread. There are a couple great suggestions that I wish I had thought of while suffering through clogs. Hope these help.....sorry no clicky, on my phone.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/66331559.aspx

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Thanks ladies.  I tried a hot shower earlier today but the clog has gotten worse since then and I haven't tried again.  I will do that tomorrow morning. 

I haven't tried nursing on all fours this time (although I have done it in the past and felt completely ridiculous!) but I will also try that tomorrow.

Army Wife - I'm cracking up at the suggestion to use a vibrator on my boob while pumping, but if nothing else works, I might just give it a try!

• Options
    I prefer a hot bath to a shower. Soak in the warm water for 5 minutes or so first then massage the lump. When DD went on a nursing strike for a week hot showers didn't work for me, but the bath was awesome.
  • Options
    I wish I had read this thread when I was still nursing.  I got clogs like a son of a gun and they were the worst!  I have no further suggestions, but good luck!
  • Options
    YulesYules member
    Back in my nursing days an LC recommended taking lecithin supplements. They break down fats supposedly. You can get it at GNc. Might be worth a try. 
  • Options
    imageClaireFraser1:

Hi gym!   (do you recognize me under my new-ish name?)   :)

Sorry about your boob, I have no advice but I hope it clears up soon.  

Hiiiiii!

Gym - I agree with the other ladies about taking lecithin.  My LC recommended it and it really helped.  I hope you get some relief soon.  Chronic clogs are the worst in bfing.  :(

• Options
    Hi Claire!!  I do recognize you :)  Love the new SN.  I have a deep love for Outlander :)

About the lecithin - can that also help get rid of an existing clog?  I am definitely going to pick some up to try and prevent any more because they suuuucccckkkkk.

Still no relief for this one though.  N will hardly nurse on that side because he's barely getting anything out.

I'm going to take my hand pump into the shower with me later and see if that helps.

• Options
    Gym!!!! Gah your boob sounds painful! I second the warm bath idea. I got clogs but never that bad! Hope it clears soon! I am loling at the nuring on all 4s but I'd try it too!

6/09 right tube loss (fallopian torsion) 12/09 BFP #1 (DD born 9/10)
    8/12 dx Lupus (ANA+/APA-), 12/12 BFP #2  natural m/c 6w 2d 
    TTC#2  since 9/12  50mg Clomid/Ovidrel IUI #1 Beta 10/4=BFN
                                 50mg Clomid/Ovidrel IUI #2 Beta 11/1= BFN
                                      100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel IUI #3 Beta 12/26=BFFN
    100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel IUI #4 Beta 2/14= BFFN
    Took a LONG Break
    Lots of Luck and Love BFPB for life KOFMKG
  • Options
    imagegymnst1013:
    Hi Claire!!  I do recognize you :)  Love the new SN.  I have a deep love for Outlander :)

About the lecithin - can that also help get rid of an existing clog?  I am definitely going to pick some up to try and prevent any more because they suuuucccckkkkk.

Still no relief for this one though.  N will hardly nurse on that side because he's barely getting anything out.

I'm going to take my hand pump into the shower with me later and see if that helps.

The lecithin should help with the one you have.  Definitely get it & start taking it regularly though to help prevent more.  Here's some more info on kellymom.com: https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/lecithin/ and  https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/recurrent-mastitis/#lecithin

I hope the hand pump combined with a warm shower helps.  Keep doing these things over and over!  And, honestly, if it's still this bad tomorrow, I'd call the doctor with concerns of mastitis if it doesn't get moving soon.  :(

• Options
    imagej_luvs_r:
    imagegymnst1013:

The lecithin should help with the one you have.  Definitely get it & start taking it regularly though to help prevent more.  Here's some more info on kellymom.com: https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/lecithin/ and  https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/recurrent-mastitis/#lecithin

I hope the hand pump combined with a warm shower helps.  Keep doing these things over and over!  And, honestly, if it's still this bad tomorrow, I'd call the doctor with concerns of mastitis if it doesn't get moving soon.  :(

I'm going to pick up some lecithin tomorrow.  I looked at the grocery store today and they didn't have it.  The shower and pump + hand expressing did nada.  I've had  nurse on that side so many times today I can't even count.  He'll nurse for a bit but gives up when nothing comes out.  I'm going to call the breastfeeding center tomorrow and talk to a LC.  I'm super worried right now about how this might affect my supply.  I really hope it doesn't make me dry up!!  I can't even bear the thought of having to wean right now.

• Options
    kcl22kcl22 member

Sounds painful!  I've heard to position LO so that their chin is pointing toward the clog.  He'd probably do a better job clearing it out than anything else, if he's not overly frustrated keep trying!

GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"