January 2012 Moms
Options

Oh DH!!! ugh!

It's my fault, too I should have checked, but he should know better...

We have a Target credit card and when we got it it was to save $$ but to treat it just like cash, meaning as soon as the purchase is made to pay it off, or at the very latest on the next billing statement. It was then also to be used for emergencies should we be tight.

I'm the one doing all the finances. But, since going back to work I really didn't have a lot of time to check all the details so I just paid the ususal amount per billing statement. Well today I decided to check in more detail how we are doing and realized that DH has been buying stuff there multiple times a week never below $50 and didn't tell me so now the card is pretty much maxed out!

So now we can just do a little over the minimum payment, have no cushion for emergencies and it will take forever to pay it off.

Now we just took 10 steps back and we are trying to see if I can stay home with DD or at least get a PT job... Well there goes that option.

He is so careless when it comes to money. That's also the reason why I do the finances, but jees I didn't think I'd have to remind him of everything every day...

so annoying...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Oh DH!!! ugh!

• Options

Well let me add my vent about my DH, too. We live in Arkansas and my mom lives in Michigan. She has only seen DS one time since he was born (when we flew her down here after he was born). She has sent DS gifts from time to time or gifts for me to use with DS - it's her way of spoiling him since she isn't physically close to him. Today I received a baby bullet baby food maker. I was pretty excited about it since I had been thinking of getting one anyway and DS will be able to start solids soon. When I told DH, his response was, "I'm not sure that's such a good idea" and proceeded to go on and on about how I could make DS sick by making his food because of pesticides on fruits and vegetables (like I wouldn't wash them??) and stating that jars of baby food are more "sterile". It really pissed me off for a few reasons. One, because he thinks he knows everything about everything; two because he can't just be appreciative of things; and three because his logic doesn't make any sense. DS goes to daycare - I think there is a bigger risk of him getting sick from there than from me making baby food. I got pissed and told him I was going to call my mom and tell her not to bother to send anything else for DS. I ended up emailing her and she said I should not return it, that DH would get over it eventually and suggested at our next pedi appointment, I ask the pedi about the safety of making baby food (mostly to get DH to shutup).

I love my husband and he's a good man but it pisses me off because he's so overly intellectual. We argue a lot more since DS was born and I don't like it. Most of the time I end up crying because I'm so frustrated and because when DH intellectualizes or rationalizes everything, it makes me feel stupid. I am not a stupid person - I have my doctoral degree in clinical psychology and so obviously I lean more toward the emotional side of things, whereas DH is a pharmacist and so is very logical and precise about everything. We are opposites in that way which could be a good thing, but sometimes I just feel like he is so narrow minded, especially when it comes to baby stuff. I mean, I am the one who takes care of DS 98% of the time and yet DH wants to question things I might do.

Sorry ladies, I just had to vent.

• Options
    imagePsyDr04:

Well let me add my vent about my DH, too. We live in Arkansas and my mom lives in Michigan. She has only seen DS one time since he was born (when we flew her down here after he was born). She has sent DS gifts from time to time or gifts for me to use with DS - it's her way of spoiling him since she isn't physically close to him. Today I received a baby bullet baby food maker. I was pretty excited about it since I had been thinking of getting one anyway and DS will be able to start solids soon. When I told DH, his response was, "I'm not sure that's such a good idea" and proceeded to go on and on about how I could make DS sick by making his food because of pesticides on fruits and vegetables (like I wouldn't wash them??) and stating that jars of baby food are more "sterile". It really pissed me off for a few reasons. One, because he thinks he knows everything about everything; two because he can't just be appreciative of things; and three because his logic doesn't make any sense. DS goes to daycare - I think there is a bigger risk of him getting sick from there than from me making baby food. I got pissed and told him I was going to call my mom and tell her not to bother to send anything else for DS. I ended up emailing her and she said I should not return it, that DH would get over it eventually and suggested at our next pedi appointment, I ask the pedi about the safety of making baby food (mostly to get DH to shutup).

I love my husband and he's a good man but it pisses me off because he's so overly intellectual. We argue a lot more since DS was born and I don't like it. Most of the time I end up crying because I'm so frustrated and because when DH intellectualizes or rationalizes everything, it makes me feel stupid. I am not a stupid person - I have my doctoral degree in clinical psychology and so obviously I lean more toward the emotional side of things, whereas DH is a pharmacist and so is very logical and precise about everything. We are opposites in that way which could be a good thing, but sometimes I just feel like he is so narrow minded, especially when it comes to baby stuff. I mean, I am the one who takes care of DS 98% of the time and yet DH wants to question things I might do.

Sorry ladies, I just had to vent.

Just vent away, that's what we are all here for. To vent and listen. I totally know what you mean. My DH is like that also. He will argue and be so stubborn just to be right and have the last word. The thing is, he wants to argue about things he has nothing about! And then he gets very disrespectful and cocky, I hate that!

I am also going to get the baby bullet by the way. And jared baby food is not as good as your DH thinks they are. They DO have fillers and preservatives and are never as good as a home made food. And especially with veggies, you are going to be boiling the stuff anyway, so it's just fine!

Hang in there

HUGS!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    raefreraefre member

imagePsyDr04:
    When I told DH, his response was, "I'm not sure that's such a good idea" and proceeded to go on and on about how I could make DS sick by making his food because of pesticides on fruits and vegetables (like I wouldn't wash them??) and stating that jars of baby food are more "sterile". [...]I ended up emailing her and she said I should not return it, that DH would get over it eventually and suggested at our next pedi appointment, I ask the pedi about the safety of making baby food (mostly to get DH to shutup).

Can't you use organic if your husband really is worried about pesticides, etc?  I love your mother's response.  She seems wonderful.

Yesterday we argued about breastfeeding and DH went off on how industrialization is wonderful (I'm not denying that) but that everything man-made is better, including pumping.  I wanted to strap the breast pump up to his nipples every 3 hours.

• Options

Raefre, you crack me up with the pumping comment! I am quite sure if men had to bear and raise babies, the human race would die out.

As for the organic issue, well my DH had an opinion on that, too, saying that organics really aren't that much better than non-organic because they use chemicals too, blah blah blah, I stopped listening.

I've looked online and see nothing about ill effects of making your own baby food as long as you take reasonable safety and hygiene precautions.

My mom and I had a period of time where we didn't talk (like over a year) mostly per my preference because I was really angry with her about some things that happened when I was a kid, but I worked through it and now that I have the baby she has been really supportive. I'm her only child and she was a single parent so DS is her only grandchild at this point (until we have another one). She adores this kid and me so she wants to do whatever she can to help and spoil.

bigbear - thanks for your support and hugs right back to ya!

• Options
    imagebigbear:

It's my fault, too I should have checked, but he should know better...

We have a Target credit card and when we got it it was to save $$ but to treat it just like cash, meaning as soon as the purchase is made to pay it off, or at the very latest on the next billing statement. It was then also to be used for emergencies should we be tight.

I'm the one doing all the finances. But, since going back to work I really didn't have a lot of time to check all the details so I just paid the ususal amount per billing statement. Well today I decided to check in more detail how we are doing and realized that DH has been buying stuff there multiple times a week never below $50 and didn't tell me so now the card is pretty much maxed out!

So now we can just do a little over the minimum payment, have no cushion for emergencies and it will take forever to pay it off.

Now we just took 10 steps back and we are trying to see if I can stay home with DD or at least get a PT job... Well there goes that option.

He is so careless when it comes to money. That's also the reason why I do the finances, but jees I didn't think I'd have to remind him of everything every day...

so annoying...

Wow your post kinda got hijacked.  I'm sorry  your H did this, I would be livid and wicked stressed.  I hope you can figure it out...maybe you should hold the credit card?  Good luck

• Options
    raefreraefre member
    imagefyrefairie:

Wow your post kinda got hijacked.  I'm sorry  your H did this, I would be livid and wicked stressed.  I hope you can figure it out...maybe you should hold the credit card?  Good luck

Oops. I'm sorry Bigbear both for the hijacking and for your DH. Did you both discuss the proper usage of your Target card or just assumed DH would know not to spend over a certain limit?  Sometimes, I'm guilty of assuming that my DH will know but discover that he doesn't. 

• Options
    I'm sorry too bigbear! Would your DH be agreeable to a set amount on the credit card per week or month and no more?

• Options
    No worries :)Dh apologized but what's done is done... Now we have to get thru it. I should have been more clear...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"