Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

cradle cap

DD had recently begun developing cradle cap. She's always had traces of it, but its recently begun getting worse. I'm thinking its because these summers are hot and she's sweating more. I've heard that you can rub olive oil in their hair to loosen flakes,.and then wash very well. anyone tried this before??? Any other advice or remedies??
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket

Re: cradle cap

• Options
    they sell stuff in walmart in the baby aisle it has pooh bear on it... I cant remember what its called or you can use baby oil
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

For DD I used both baby oil & olive oil (not at the same time, i didn't see a difference in using one over the other) to loosen the flakes, then exfoliated with her baby brush, then used a comb, then shampoo.  I would also some times use her wash cloth to loosen the flakes (along with the oil) It made bath time a lot longer!  

It took a while - maybe a month?  But finally no more cradle cap!   

Good luck!  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

The baby oil never worked for us for some reason, but olive oil did when she was younger. I put it on her head and then let her wear a hat for about an hour so it wouldn't make a mess, then washed it out in the bath. I brushed her hair back with a soft bristle baby brush and the flakes came off for the most part.

Recently it came back, but she was too much hair now for the olive oil to work, so I just used Head & Shoulders shampoo and let it sit on her head for about 5 minutes in the bath, then  washed it out. After the bath I combed her head with a fine-toothed baby comb and most of the flakes came off.

I have never tried the stuff specially made for cradle cap, but they sell it in most drug stores so you could give it a try.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

I used the olive oil last week.  You let it sit in their hair for a little while.  I put it in his hair at the beginning of a bath and about 10 minutes later I used a comb to brush his hair while he was still in the bath.  It worked really well.  I'd say 80% of it was gone by the time LO decided he'd had enough. 

Afterwards you just wash their hair as you normally would.  It took about 2 baths to really get the oil out of his hair, but it worked magic.  Our Pedi suggested the same thing, but he said to keep it in longer than the 10 minutes we did.  I'm going to do it again this week.  I think once a week is good, I don't want his hair to look like a greasy mess from doing it too often.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We had a terrible time with cradle cap up until DS was 7 or 8 months. I finally caved and spent the money on a decent shampoo and ointment. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PJ2R0C/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007WX0EY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01

The ointment cleared things up in less than a week and I still use the shampoo for every bath. I tried the traditional route of olive oil but it didn't work for us. It made a huge mess and DS hated it. Good luck!

The Fight  Against Boredomimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DD1 had cradle cap until she was at least 2.  I never put anything on it.  She is 4 now and no longer has it.  DD2 has never had it. 

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• Options
    Take three tablespoons of baking soda and add just enough water to make a paste. Let it sit on her hair for a few minutes in the tub and then rinse it out. Comb out the flakes, repeat as necessary, but once or twice should do the trick depending on how bad it is!  : )
  • Options
    If your LO as hair that covers it i'd just leave it alone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ~Lily~~Lily~ member
    Head and Shoulders clears it up fast.  DD pedi recommended it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"