Natural Birth

are weight estimates always taken?

I see so many of these posts across the boards.  For both my pregnancies I had 2 ultrasounds only.  One at 11ish weeks (screening) and one at 20ish weeks (anatomy). 

Even with GD I did not get a later-in-pregnancy ultrasound.

How many did you have?  Is it standard practice or were there other reasons to get them?

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am

Re: are weight estimates always taken?

• ldbryanldbryan member
    I've had them with both pregnancies because my belly was measuring ahead.  The estimate was off by about a pound with my first, so my OB isn't putting a lot of stock in the measurements of this baby. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm with you.  I only had two with each pregnancy.  I've never been given a weight estimate.  My SIL received multiple ultrasounds due to a suspected heart arrhythmia.  Otherwise, I would assume 2 is the norm.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I never had a later u/s to check baby's size, but I went to a midwife practice.  Toward the end, I asked the mw to guesstimate baby's size, and both times they were within 1/2 lb.  Both of my DDs weighed the same at birth :)
  • I've never had a later/weight estimate u/s in any pregnancy. With DS, I had just the 20 week u/s. With DD and this LO I had the 20 week and another one around 24 weeks, but only b/c those LOs were stubborn and not letting the techs get good measurements. But I've also never had GD or measured larger or smaller than what was 'expected', so those could be factors too.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had about 4 or 5 with Ds. 1st at 7w bc I had bleeding and went to the ER. 2nd at 18w to check growth and anatomy. 3rd at 22w bc baby wasn't fulled developed at 18w to see heart. 4th around 34w bc I was measuing at 39w. And I had an elective 3d US sometime. Yeah, I was a little US happy with my 1st...

I will have 2-3 with this. I've already had 1 bc I was having a hard time dating my pregnancy. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • I had 3-my OB did one at 6 weeks because she initially thought I wasn't measuring correctly (I was), I had the standard ultrasound at 20 weeks, and I had one at 37 weeks because my OB wanted to make sure LO wasn't breech (he wasn't).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No. I've never known anyone to have one IRL, and I'm surprised how often they're done on these boards. I didn't have an ultrasound after the AS with either pregnancy.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I never had a growth ultrasound done. I did have a two-second ultrasound at 35 weeks to confirm she was head-down (all the exam rooms at my OB's office have ultrasound machines).

The only other reason I had late-term ultrasounds was to monitor DD's heart defect -- and even then, they wanted me to come in every four weeks but I went every eight (they weren't going to intervene prenatally regardless so I didn't feel more frequent ones would change anything.)
  • tngrl3tngrl3 member
    There is a chance I will get them starting at 28 weeks to monitor baby's growth. If my fundal height is on track, then I might not have to have them, but I have a heart condition and take medication for it daily. The medication has been known to cause IUGR so they want to keep a close eye on baby. In my OB office though it is standard to only have 2-3 (If you have NT) unless there are problems. 
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • With DS, I felt like I had close to a dozen, though none specifically for growth. I was with an OB office,I had a LEEP procedure before getting pg, so they were overly cautious, even though my cervix didn't budge from the first US to the last.

It was nice to get lots of pictures of him, especially early on, but with this one, once I could feel the baby moving, I haven't had as much anxiety and/or necessarily wanted another one (I had two total). I am also with a birth center and mw this time.

• In my first pregnancy, it was standard for the practice to do an u/s at 30 something weeks. The one that was NOT standard at that practice, was the one I had at 12 weeks to date the pregnancy.  They only did that one because I was having irregular periods (or... had been anyway... turns out that one cycle was totally normal!)

For my second, it was not standard to do one in third tri, but I was measuring large (fundal height) which is not normal for me (DS1 measured SMALL at that 3rd tri u/s) and during this second pregnancy, I barely gained any weight (11 lbs... I wasn't obese to start- about avg at 135). They had cause for concern so they checked his size and fluid levels.  At 38 weeks, they estimated that he was already 7 lbs 9 oz.  He was born 39 w, 2 d at 7 lbs 7 oz.   

• My OB with DS did a position check u/s at 36 weeks. He gave a weight estimate, but I tuned it out. For some reason, this very, very experienced OB who's been around since before u/s was huge didn't feel for baby's position manually, he relied on u/s. So , for him it was standard. If we ever did another low-risk PG with an OB, I would probably decline. It seems to needlessly raise concerns.

I am with a CPM this PG. She won't advocate one just for size, though there are some late PG issues that could possibly warrant a late u/s. (We did elect an anatomy scan, but a % of their patiens choose no u/s. She can tell baby's position by hand.)

• I didn't have one with DD or DS. With DD, I did have three ultrasounds at 41 weeks -- two to check on fluid levels, and one VERY quick one (literally about 5 seconds) at the hospital prior to starting my induction to confirm that she was still head down. But I didn't get a weight estimate with any of them. (Thank goodness, because it turns out she was 9.5 lbs...)

I just had one today with this baby, because s/he has a dilated kidney that we've been keeping an eye on. Slow growth would be a potential sign that the kidney is causing issues. Thankfully, all looks good! Smile

I do know plenty of people who get them as standard practice.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• I requested a u/s at 38 weeks to make sure baby was still heads down (she was breech for a long time and I had a successful version at 36 weeks).  The u/s tech was totally confused when I told him that I was only there to check if she was breech...he said, "Well, that will only take a second.  I will also check how big she is to make it worth your while."  

He delivered the news to us gravely that our baby was HUGE and was very perplexed when we were not worried about it.  LOL  I am assuming he is used to women freaking out. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• AmyRIAmyRI member

Last pregnancy I ended up having 4, the last of which was at 24 weeks.

The first was at 8 weeks to date the pregnancy - my cycles were varied in length so the OB wanted to make sure my date by LMP was not far off from the u/s date.

Second was 12 weeks, the NT scan.

Third was the anatomy scan at 20 weeks, and I had placenta previa. Because of this, a later u/s was scheduled.

Scan at 24 weeks was to make sure the placenta had moved (it had) and that was it.  No sizing/weight estimate or anything at the end. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #3 Due April 2016
  • Last time, the only reason I had a late u/s was to check fluid pockets after being sick and going down in belly measurement. They measured for for funsies I guess, but they were inaccurate. Between the u/s and the midwives' hands, they all said she'd be no more than 6 lb. She was 7lb 2 oz. :) They were amazed when she came out, asking me where I hid that baby!

This time, there's a chance I may have more u/s to check the baby's size as I am now seeing an endrocrinologist who is looking for information about my thyroid.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"