Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Gonna slap the next person who says to let her CIO

My child cannot cry it out. Not because I am weak or indulgent but because she is self-destructive and crazy. She will scream till she is purple, hoarse, sweating, and choking on her own slobber and this will go on for 45 minutes--- that's as long as I have ever been able to stand it and I didn't have a choice as I was driving. I get so irritated with people because they act like they know my kid better than I do. Now, don't get me wrong because she is spoiled beyond rotten but I don't jump every time she gets a little annoyed. I'm not going to let her scream until she passes out from lack of oxygen though.

Re: Gonna slap the next person who says to let her CIO

• Options
    So many people believe this is the only way to get babies to sleep or do what you want.  Let them cry.  It does work for some babies, but not for others.  Good for you for sticking to your guns.  You know your baby best
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Amen to this one, it doesnt work for my dd at all. plus I dont like at all to have her scream or cry her self to sleep. good job mama you know her better than anyone in this world ever will.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Totally agree with your stance. It sounds like she is a baby who creates tension when crying, as opposed to a child who releases it by crying. I read a really great article about this and found that my twins are one of each. One fusses to fall asleep but the other simply becomes more enraged when fussing and must be calmed via rocking and singing to sleep. You can read the article yourself here:

https://www.askmoxie.org/2006/06/babies_and_cio.html

Maybe it will help you fend off the CIO advocates that are so adamant at telling you how to raise your child. Props to you for standing up for yourself and doing what's best for your child. 

There's two to wash, Two to dry, Two who argue, And two who cry.
    There's two to kiss, Two to hug, And best of all, Two to Love! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lovies1yrold
  • Options
    Ignore those people! You know your baby better than anyone. It doesn't work for my DD either. Like yours she just freaks out. I tried to let her cry for 10 minutes once and ran into her room because she started screaming so bad; she had put her legs through the crib bars and was thrashing around. So I cuddle her like crazy, hug, and sing to her. Some people say that I'm doing her wrong, but I prefer a happy baby who knows she is loved.
  • Options
    Oh ya'll got that right!!!  DS would scream all day and night without letting up if allowed to CIO.  It just doesn't work for him.  It goes back to, you have to use what works for YOUR baby!!!  Even DH hasn't caught on here to this that putting DS down while even drowsy doesn't work to get him to take a nap but sitting down with DS in any position with a little back rub and he's out, add in the swing shortly after and it's long enough for a quick shower...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with you 100%.  My girls are pretty good at self soothing, they always have been for the most part.  There are sometimes that they just can't soothe themselves.  I try to let them CIO but most times my girls do the same as your lo.  They will cry so long and hard until they are hoarse, and sweating and choking on their own saliva.  I just cannot let them get that far.  I let them cry for a few minutes and then go in and calm them down and just keep doing that until they settle down and go to sleep.  I think that CIO is just not for everyone.  My mom and DH always say why don't you just let them cry??  It's because it just doesn't work.  DH thinks that since the Pedi told us to let them cry or they will be spoiled that it is ok to let them have a complete meltdown.  So glad that you posted this.  
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My theory is that some kids are good sleepers and some are not and many are somewhere in between. I don't think it actually has anything to do with the parenting or method involved. See exhibit A - My two year old who still doesn't STTN and needs me right there with him in order to fall asleep, and exhibit B - My 6 month old who has been STTN since 2 weeks. 

So I think that many (if not all) of the proponents of CIO had babies like my daughter (or maybe not quite that good) and they just happened to use CIO around when the baby was ready to start sleeping through the night. So they think that's what did it. In fact many CIO people actually have to "re-train" and I think that comes from it not lining up with exactly when the child was ready.

Anyway, moral of the story is that people want a magic fix and since CIO worked for their friend/neighbor/whoever they think it will work for them. If it doesn't work you rarely hear about it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageemilyknelson:
    So many people believe this is the only way to get babies to sleep or do what you want.  Let them cry.  It does work for some babies, but not for others.  Good for you for sticking to your guns.  You know your baby best

THIS!! Mommy knows best:)

• Options
    ZimgerZimger member

I've had to let LO cry while I was driving a few times to. He doesn't calm down easy. It concerned me because it was a constanct cry. I don't think I could let him CIO...plus I don't think my downstairs neighbors would appreciate it either. othing wrong with snuggling it out instead of crying it out.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My DD is that way too and there is no way in hell i am going to let her CIO... i can tell when she's just whiny and those times I usually ignore her. but when she gets into a cryng fit the only way to stop it is to pick her up and cuddle and soothe her that way. no way in hell will she settle on her own...

my mom told me to leave her - it;s good for her lungs.

yeah right... coz YOU know her...

• Options

It is up to every parent to do what is best for them and their child. I find the best way to avoid reactions like this is to not talk about sleeping habits, etc if you can avoid it. Especially don't complain about your lack of sleep if you dont want unwanted advice.

Not saying you do that- just a point.

• Options

God that's how I feel too. It's so irritating when people tell me to just let him cry, but if I KNOW something's bugging him I just can't find it in me to just leave him to be alone when I know I can help him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Totally agree!!!! I've had the same experience with the crying in the car and other people. I wouldn't let an adult sit there and cry so why would I let my baby. My baby only crys when something is wrong. 

If I'm doing something wrong then why do so many people keep telling me I have the happiest baby they have ever seen?

Read Dr Sears.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
  • Options
    imageAmberrrr:

if I KNOW something's bugging him I just can't find it in me to just leave him to be alone when I know I can help him.

This! My MIL says "you know, it doesn't hurt them to let them cry..."  Ugh!  It also doesn't hurt to do what you can to make them feel better!  And dammit, it hurts me to hear him cry!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"