January 2011 Moms

LO on a boat

We've taken her on the ferry during a commute but I am not sure about a boat. When we were at my in laws, the tide was really low, and she kept pointing at the dock saying, "boat, boat!" so I took her on it just for her to check it out. She walked around, and was exploring. DH wants to take her out when we go in a few weeks but I am thinking she is too rambunctious to go on a boat!! lol I asked my coworker and she said no way too, but inlaws/ DH say it's completely fine. BIL bought her an approved PFD already so that's not an issue.

Re: LO on a boat

• I dunno. My LO will have the chance to go on a pontoon boat this summer on vacation, and I think she might like it. But like you say, Im sure she will want to run around and climb, and that wont make for an enjoyable ride for anyone. I think as long as its a short ride and close to shore, I will take her.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If I had the opportunity I'd take DD.  Boats have sides so it's not like she'd just walk off the edge.  If there is a group of you then everyone can help keep an eye on her.

• Loading the player...
  • imageMom2Mack1:
    If I had the opportunity I'd take DD.  Boats have sides so it's not like she'd just walk off the edge.  If there is a group of you then everyone can help keep an eye on her.

I imagine all sorts of mishaps lol. I wish I could take the carseat haha but then she couldn't wear her PFD.

• We have a ski type boat and we have brought ds out on it probably 10 times this summer.  We did not bring him last year at all, just because he was so small we couldn't find a good life jacket for him, and also because we had a hectic summer so we just didn't get out much.  When it is shut off at the dock he will walk around and explore, once we turn the motor on he sits on my lap very still and just relaxes.  We have not had any problems.  He is very good with his life jacket and wears it without a problem, and does not try to get it off. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I grew up around boats, so I think it's NBD. If she's being a pain, can't you just turn around and come back to the dock? Plan a test run and go out for like 15 mins to see how she does.

BTW, What kind of boat are we talking here? Pontoon? Those generally move pretty slowly. I'd bring a baby gate to put in front of the boarding area and see how it goes.

• imageHALFM00N:

imageMom2Mack1:
    If I had the opportunity I'd take DD.  Boats have sides so it's not like she'd just walk off the edge.  If there is a group of you then everyone can help keep an eye on her.

I imagine all sorts of mishaps lol. I wish I could take the carseat haha but then she couldn't wear her PFD.

I guess you could always tie her to the boat with a rope! :)

• imageMom2Mack1:
    imageHALFM00N:

imageMom2Mack1:

I guess you could always tie her to the boat with a rope! :)

I am not going to lie, I thought about using it with the Ergo but then PFD again, then I thought about those portable cloth highchairs that you basically tie LO to the chair lol.

• imageSweetHurricane:

I grew up around boats, so I think it's NBD. If she's being a pain, can't you just turn around and come back to the dock? Plan a test run and go out for like 15 mins to see how she does.

BTW, What kind of boat are we talking here? Pontoon? Those generally move pretty slowly. I'd bring a baby gate to put in front of the boarding area and see how it goes.

Nooo lol it's like a family boat!! LOL.  I don't know how else to describe 'em. It's docked at my inlaws so it's not very big.

• Thanks guys, I will take her. I guess it's a good thing I did not flat out veto him lol
  • Now I have that song, 'I'm on a boat' stuck in my head...

I would take my LO for sure.

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would if given the opportunity and appropriate lifejacket.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"