November 2011 Moms

Re: Interesting BF article

• So the guy at the end of the article somehow reached the conclusion that being attached to a pump like a dairy cow while in uniform is somehow more appropriate and more professional than nursing in uniform?

I have to admit that while I'm pretty darn comfortable nursing in public, nursing in front of co-workers is something I don't do.  For a work function I pump and bring a bottle.  But, I don't see anything wrong with it and believe that the military needs to be supportive of nursing moms.  And being in the military is completely different than going to my 9-5.  I'm sure they wear those uniforms for more hours of the day than is practical to always be changing before feeding.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was just going to post this one! 

Is it just me or is BF in the media like crazy lately?  Maybe it's because I'm BF now, so I'm noticing it more, but I don't remember hearing so much about it in past years. 

I think it's a very interesting article. 

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • All I could think after reading that was, "Oh FFS. Come one people."  Did anyone else read through the comments?  One lady said at her Sub Station, they had a nursing room and didn't expect anyone to change first.  Another guy said that it was disrespectful to the uniform because it was in 'disarray.'  I guess I just don't get it.
    Mc 6/2/08 at 6w2d * CP 11/22/08 * CP 1/21/09 - Dx compound heterozygous MTHFR 3/23/09 - BFP 3/24/09
  • This was talked about on my FB group and people with more military knowledge than me provided a better prospective. Uniforms are rarely worn so it is very unlikely that they just needed to feed their children and didn't have time to change they put their uniforms on to take that picture to start drama. Also, there are many many rules of what people can and can't do in uniform it's not just BFing and it's not just women. Men in uniform aren't even allowed to walk around holding their wife's hand.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageauthorofdreamz:
    This was talked about on my FB group and people with more military knowledge than me provided a better prospective. Uniforms are rarely worn so it is very unlikely that they just needed to feed their children and didn't have time to change they put their uniforms on to take that picture to start drama. Also, there are many many rules of what people can and can't do in uniform it's not just BFing and it's not just women. Men in uniform aren't even allowed to walk around holding their wife's hand.
    . Yet sometime back in February this year there was a viral picture going around of a gay male couple, passionately kissing, one man in his uniform after returning from leave. They were met with mostly support for the photo and the military officials, who were around when the picture was taken, had little or nothing to say about it. (Even PDA at a homecoming is supposed to be moderate and respectful) That is not to say that everyone was happy about the photo, but the passionate "feet off the ground" kiss certainly could have waited until he was out of uniform. (That's not to say that I disliked the photo myself) A hungry baby and a nursing mom on the other hand, I don't think it's fair to equate the two and certainly is unfair to equate it to urinating and defecating in public. I personally think the image speaks well for strong women and mothers. There is not a set rule against breastfeeding in uniform nor do I think there should be. 
  • Since it is a no-no to walk and eat at the same time while in uniform, maybe not being allowed to walk while breastfeeding would be a better rule. I could live with that ;D
  • As an Active Duty Soldier this seems silly to me -- I'm a family doc and lactation counselor.  Do I nurse my DD in uniform?  Sure, in my office or on the couch at home-- do I feel silly nursing in combat boots?  yes, but I chuckle.  Do I pump in uniform? sure, I drive onto post every day with my pump under my t-shirt and ACU top velcro'd shut -- did it for a year w/ DD1 at another post and will do it a year again unless I get deployed.  I have pump breaks build into my schedule so I set myself up and pull my T down, velcro my ACU top and people are in and out of my office but they know if they knock and come in I'm multitasking and enter at their own risk.

Here's the question, would I breastfeed my daughter walking around the office if I were in civilian clothes?  No, it's not professional.  I wouldn't do it in ACU's either, but if in uniform I could certainly be bold enough to ask for a place to nurse in private.  Perhaps my rank and profession inserts a bias, but if you were in the motor pool/range/classroom/etc in uniform why is your child with you?  If you are off duty, change out of the uniform as per regulations and do what you (legally) want.

5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

• I'm Active Duty Air Force and no there isn't any regulation that says you can or cannot breastfeed in uniform.  I have breastfed in uniform when I've picked up my LO from daycare, and if for whatever reason I happen to be in uniform in a public place I would have absolutely no qualms about breastfeeding my child.  

I also happened to take a professional photo of me nursing my then 2 month old with my ABU top on, why did I choose to do that?  I take pride in being an Airmen and I take pride in being a Mom.  And as a military brat (my dad spent 25 years in the Army) I was proud to be a brat and hope that my son too will be a proud military child.

I think people are getting too picky about the picture.  So many are upset b/c they aren't wearing their covers (hats)...last time I checked my baby could care less what I'm wearing and just wants the boob as fast as possible.  These two women just documented it in a picture and I think it's a beautiful thing.  I'm also happy that the discussion is being had now about being specific when it comes to breastfeeding in uniform.  I am in some form of military uniform from 0630 - 1800 and am not going to change my clothes just to feed my child in that time period. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"