Toddlers: 24 Months+

Prepping for "big girl bed" transition--any advice?

We're moving DD to her "big girl bed" this weekend (her crib converted to a full sized bed). Im terrified. She is a really good sleeper but a terrible staller at bedtime. Im HOPING that we wont have any middle of the night waking issues, but Im anticipating some issues getting her to actually lay down and stay in the freaking bed and go to sleep! Any advice that worked for you? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Prepping for "big girl bed" transition--any advice?

• I stressed and worried and stressed and worried before we transitioned DD.

We told DD about her big girl bed for days before we put in in her room , made it sound cool.  Hyped it up.  SHe loved it.  I told her that there wasn't a full rail and that she could fall out and if she did to just get back in.

Anchor her other furniture to the wall!  If she's a player put away most of the toys in her room.   

Its been OK.

I rushed out and bought a toddler bed when I saw her try to lift her leg over the rail, she couldn't do it but thought better safe then sorry.  Short story: the bed was from craigs list, hubby wanted to refinish it.. SO a month and a half later i got it finished (DD still in crib and fine)

Hubby says lets get it out of the garage. OK but I don't want to put her in it until Monday she has had a fever 4 two days now her nose is running and all 4 two year molars are coming in at the same time and we have company coming for the weekend.  Hubby proceeds to put the mattress from the crib on the bed :)

Well that nap time right in the bed took her a while to go to sleep she kept getting up to get another book, but 45min later she was asleep in the bed and slep for 2 hours.. that night right to sleep.  she has only fallen out a few times but she just gets back in if not we go put her back in.  

We have had a few nights lately where she doesn't want to stay in the bed she stayes she just cries.  I just tell her shes OK leave and shut the door (she quits crying as soon as she can't see me)

• I thought about this WAY too much before we moved DD last weekend.  Her transition couldn't have gone better! 

We talked it up big time.  Told her what a big girl she was and how proud of her we are.  We kept her bedtime routine the same, which I think was key for her. 

I wish you much luck!!  I think it's harder on the parent than on the kid sometimes. 

• Loading the player...
  • We put DD in a twin about a month before her 2nd birthday (from her converted toddler bed). The bed was delivered and set up while we were out of town that weekend so literally we got home Sunday night, she watched me make the bed and we literally told her "here's your new bed, now get in it and go to sleep!" She never gets out to this day and I have no idea why, I've never told her she can't get out. While I was making the bed she kept saying "ooooh pretty" and of course I was telling her how big she is now and bla bla bla.

I didn't think it would be this easy so my point is she may surprise you with how well she does!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We had her twin bed in the baby's room for a while, and she had the chance to sit on it a lot and get used to it.  We told her soon it would be her big girl bed, and thought that was pretty cool.  I made a big deal of our linen shopping trip, and she also got to pick out a new stuffy and she picked out her new sheets.  We made the switch no problem.  I think we worry about it more than our kids do.  We just had a lot of "talks" about staying in bed and staying under the covers.  We did have to take her toys out of her room, because I went in one of the first few nights and she was asleep with an entire picnic of pretend food set out all over her bed and pillow - cute!  Now she doesn't get out of bed at all, and waits for me to get her out in the morning and after naps.  We also just put the box spring and mattress on the floor, and will get a bed frame when she gets older.  For now she can crawl in all on her own, and she loves her bed.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"