August 2011 Moms
Options

Need Help with Diaper Changes

Lately DS has been throwing a huge temper tantrum whenever I change his diaper.  He wants to be off doing something else.  He isn't in pain, he is just an "on the go" kinda guy I guess. I lay him down, and he wants to roll over and crawl off the changing table. The pee diapers aren't bad....I can mange to do those fast, but the poo diapers are God awful to change.  Poo ends up everywhere AND he has to grab his twig and berries down there, and try as I might, it's near impossible to prevent poo from getting on his hands.  I know it comes with being a mommy...but one of my girl friends who has a 12 month old was over and was just in hysterics over how difficult it is to change my son's diaper. Does anyone else have this issue? Any tips would be great! It's only been the last month or so and it's getting progressively worse! lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo15Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Need Help with Diaper Changes

• Options
    I feel your pain. I can usually manage to get him to stay still long enough if I give him something to play with that he isn't usually allowed to play with... my phone, the tube of diaper cream, etc. Good luck! 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

We keep a couple of small bath toys near the changing table and only give him one during a diaper change.  The toys never leave that area and we put it away when we are done with a diaper change.  The toys are little squishy fish that are easy to hold on to and would be easy to wash in case of a poo-mergency. ;)

It doesn't solve the problem, but it definitely helps.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_20130228_133645
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemrsannie:
    I feel your pain. I can usually manage to get him to stay still long enough if I give him something to play with that he isn't usually allowed to play with... my phone, the tube of diaper cream, etc. Good luck! 

OMG!  Why didn't I think of this? Brilliant! He has a crazy fascination with the X-box controller.  THANK YOU!

• Options
    imageeatmorecupcakes:

We keep a couple of small bath toys near the changing table and only give him one during a diaper change.  The toys never leave that area and we put it away when we are done with a diaper change.  The toys are little squishy fish that are easy to hold on to and would be easy to wash in case of a poo-mergency. ;)

It doesn't solve the problem, but it definitely helps.

This is a good idea too!  It's like when it's diaper changing time, he gets to play with different toys so it's interesting.  Man, I feel so dumb for not thinking of these things.  I give him a toy, but it's something that he is use to playing with so he gets bored.  Thank you! :)

• Options

I have been going through the same thing for the past few weeks, every diaper change is an awful battle and I'm so frustrated. My only advice is that I have been taking my LO away from her toys when I try to change her.  Instead of just changing on the floor amongst her toys, I do it on the changing table now. She still screams and wiggles, but for whatever reason, I seem to have better control of her that way.  Definitely going to try the idea of a toy or item that is reserved for diaper changing time only, that sounds like a great idea. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Fuzzy21Fuzzy21 member
    I feel like I'm trying to wrangle a wild animal everytime I try to change DS' diaper
    imageimage

BFP #1 EDD 08/07/11 DS born 07/27/11 Welcome Mr. Smiley!
    BFP #2 05/28/12 EDD 02/03/13 Natural M/C 07/14/12 10w6d
    BFP #3 10/02/12 EDD 06/11/13 Please stick baby! Stick!

Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    When we were at my moms house this weekend we didn't have our changing table with basket of toys so I was changing on the floor.  I ended up actually changing her with one of my legs bent over her chest to hold her down flat and then the diaper area between my legs.  It actually worked surprisingly well.  Also, after she would try to roll over and couldn't she usually calmed down and would just lay there while I finished.  I wish I had a picture because I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right but give it a try!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Chase is the same way!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image image image Anniversary
  • Options
    Yep. Alex wants to be anywhere but the changing table. Or he wants to play with the stuff on the changing table. I keep a selection of toys to keep him busy while I change him. That has helped soooo much. Right now it's a few of those plastic links.
  • Options
    DD is the same way.  I just try and do my best to distract her.  I'll give her a toy, the clean diaper, her pants (or skirt, whatever, if she has one), the wipes box, the diaper cream, anything as long as she can't hurt herself.  It usually works. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    DD is the same! We do have the special toys on the changing table, but sometimes even that doesn't work. In a worse case scenario, I sit down on the floor with her, legs stretched out, and pin both her arms down with my legs. I feel terrible, but Momma's gotta change that diaper, baby!
    nataliepic350 photo nataliepic350.jpg photo 099_zps0c6fc5c8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"