Infertility

IUI questions

Ladies,

I am doing my first IUI on Sun and Mon, a few questions for the wise!

1. does it hurt? or is it painful?

2. how full does your bladder have to be? the nurse said full bladder...

3. how long does it take?

4. can you walk around afterwards?

5. when we are dropping off the sample, do we have so many minutes to get the sample to them? and does it have to be by your body so it stays warm?

any other tips or advice?

Re: IUI questions

• 1. Unless you have cervical issues (like I do) it will not hurt. It's just uncomfortable because of your question #2, or because of speculum. Because of my cervical issues I have to have an IUI performed with use of an abdominal u/s too, so pressing on my belly with a full bladder is SUPER uncomfortable.

2. My bladder was pretty full each time...I had to make sure to drink enough water. I'd say not so full that you feel like it hurts to pee, but like you could pee.

3. As short as 5 minutes, or possibly longer, if the dr. has trouble getting the catheter through your cervix and into your uterus. 

4. They have me lay there for 10 minutes before getting up. After that you can walk around like normal.

Other advice - try to relax. It's a pretty easy procedure for most people!!! I'm a weirdo so that's why I've had issues. :-)

Good luck! 

My Food Blog - Dinner Delish
    TTC since Oct '09
    Missed miscarriage 3/24/10 @ 16 wks, Partial Molar Pregnancy
    Began our IF journey in May '11
    Asherman's Diagnosis (cervical & uterine scarring) - Surgery 8/17/11
    IUIs #1-#5 & 1 canceled IUI, IVF #1, 2 FETs - all BFN
    IVF# 2 December '12, BFP 1/13! EDD 9/21 
    Complete Previa and Short Cervix. C-section scheduled for 9/3
    Delivered 8/5 @ 33 weeks, 4lbs, 6oz. 
    4-week NICU stay, home 9/3
  • Thanks Girls!

OH I love Ryan Gosling! 

• Loading the player...
  • 1. I always got some slight cramping whenever the catheter went in. But it wasn't bad at all. Did you get a hysteroscopy done ever? I thought that was more painful than the IUIs.

2. Pretty full. I went in a couple of times with my bladder only half full and they had trouble getting the catheter in. So eventually I would drink a bottle of water while I waited to be called back. Just about every time the pain of having to pee was WAY worse than the actual procedure.

3. Just takes a few minutes. They lean you back and sick the catheter in and inject the sperm and then pull it out. Then they verify the sperm is in place with an ultrasound.

4. Yeah they stick it way up in there so it won't come out. They always said I could see some minor spotting after it but I never did.

IUIs are no big deal. I was always excited when I had them done because it finally meant I could relax now and wait to see if it worked.
  • ARS0805ARS0805 member

I had my first IUI done on Tuesday!

1.  It wasn't bad.  I would definitely compare it to a pap.  My RE had no trouble inserting the catheter.  I thought the speculum was the most uncomfortable part.

2.  I was not required to have a full bladder.  But if you were asked to have one, then I agree with what PP have said...don't make yourself super uncomfortable.

3.  I'd say the doctor was in there 10 minutes max.  We had to verify DH's sample.  My RE also showed me all the instruments since this was my first go.  I did have to lay there for 15 minutes after.

4.  I had "no limitations" after the IUI.  We had a two hour drive home, so I just laid the seat back and took a nap!

5.  We provided our sample on site because we live so far away.  However, when we did our first SA locally, we dropped the sample off.  It had to be there within 30 minutes of ejaculation.  I sat the cup between my legs while I drove it to the lab.  Not sure if that is required...but it was winter and I thought it couldn't hurt??  

Other -- I did have some cramping after the procedure.  I didn't expect that.  It wasn't bad...just crampy.  Good luck!! 

image image

Me: 28; DH: 35 
    1/2008 -- Started TTC
    3/2009 - FD discovered at 17 weeks1/2011 - Lap and HSG reveal Stage IV Endo and both tubes blocked. 
    4/2012 - Consult with RE for IVF#1 - Labs and SA are normal - Repeat HSG - SURPRISE! Both tubes are open.
    May, June, August 2012 - IUI#1-3 - Letrozole + Bravelle + Ovidrel trigger = BFN
    9/2012 - Lap#2 to remove endo and Hysteroscopy 
    IVF#1 (Long Lupron) - 12/6 ER - 20R 11F * 12/11 ET - Transferred 2 excellent blasts * 3 Frosties * 
    Beta #1 79.7 * Beta #2 240 * EDD - 8.29.13 * It's a GIRL!

BabyFruit Ticker

When Not IF Blog

Everyone welcome!
  • 1. No pain here. It is similar to a pap: they'll insert a speculum and then shoot the syringe of sperm in your ute.

2. They always had me empty my bladder prior to the IUI (& all u/s, actually.) 

3. It took longer to get undressed & redressed. It took just a couple minutes + then they have you lie there for 5 minutes before getting up.

4. Yes. I am fortunate to have a flexible work schedule, so I always took the rest of the day off. Between the meds, multiple follies in my ovaries, constipation and bloat--by the time the IUI rolled around I just wanted to rest.

5. They advise you to drop off the sample within 45-60 of collection. I'm pretty sure DH just put it back in the "discreet" paper bag it came in, put it on the passenger's seat and drove it there. 

Good luck! 

TTC since 10/2010
    IUIs # 1-5 = BFFN
    IVF # 1(July 2012) = BFN
    IVF # 2 (November 2012) = BFP (MIssed MC D&C @ 8w3d on 1/10/13)
    IVF # 3 (June 2013) = BFN 
    IVF # 4 (September 2013) = BFP Fraternal twin boys! (Loss at 21w6d due to IC on 1/26/14...devastated.)
    3/21/14--TAC (transabdominal cerclage) w/Dr. Davis in NJ
    IVF # 5 (May 2014) = BFN
    FET (August 2014) = BFN

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • rebaannrebaann member
    1. does it hurt? or is it painful?  I never felt a thing.

2. how full does your bladder have to be? the nurse said full bladder...  I was told to empty mine before

3. how long does it take?  The actual procedure is 15 minutes tops, including the five - ten minutes they have you lay there afterwards.

4. can you walk around afterwards?  see above - after the timer went off, I got up and went about my day.

5. when we are dropping off the sample, do we have so many minutes to get the sample to them? and does it have to be by your body so it stays warm?  We had two hours after collection to drop off the sample.  Yes, we would keep it warm until delivery.  The "cup in the cleavage" trick worked for us.

My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. It was uncomfortable but not painful. I experienced mild cramps that lasted maybe 60 seconds. No worse than a pap.

2. My nurse didn't tell me to come in with a full bladder until she was telling me to undress from the waist down with a, "don't go to the restroom. We need a full bladder!" I'd literally peed 5 minutes before. It didn't make any difference.

3. 5 minutes.

4. I was instructed to stay lying down for 15 minutes but then was up moving as usual.

5. My RE wanted the sample within 45 minutes. We just kept it in a brown bag. it's so hot here I didn't worry about it.

Good luck!!!

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• 1.) Did not hurt- feels like a pap

2.) RE gave no instructions about a full bladder (and I've had 4 IUIs)

3.) Actual procedure less than 3-5 minutes; my RE had my lay down for 15-20 minutes after, however

4.) I walked out of the office and went about my day as normal

5.) My RE gave us 45 minutes- but I was always worried and made my husband give the sample at the office.  If he was going to collect at home, the nurse gave us some materials.  I was told to keep this near my body to keep it warm (grant it, this was during the winter months in Chicago).

GL!

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• 1. Does it hurt? Or is it painful?  No, I didn't think it hurt.  I think it was actually LESS uncomfortable than a pap test.

2. How full does your bladder have to be? The nurse said full bladder... I was not instructed to have a full bladder.  They actually ALWAYS made me drain my bladder before going back to the procedure/exam room.

3. How long does it take? The actual IUI is done in just a few minutes After the RE came into the room from start to finish it lasts about 15mins or so.

4. Can you walk around afterwards? My RE had me lay on the table for an additional 15-20 minutes after he was finished.  If I had acu with the procedure he would leave me on the table for 30mins or so.  Then I was fine to get up and walk around as normal.  Instructed not to run, jump, lift heavy objects or engage in strenuous exercise.

5. When we are dropping off the sample, do we have so many minutes to get the sample to them? And does it have to be by your body so it stays warm?  We always did a home collection since we didn't live far from our clinic. We were instructed to have the sample at the lab within 30minutes of the collection.  I would keep the sample in my pocket or put it under the waistline of my pants to keep it warm against my skin (per instructions from my RE) while I drove it to the lab.

Any other tips or advice? Don't be nervous and try to relax as much as you can prior to the procedure.  It's such a piece of cake.

BabyFruit Ticker

06.10.12 +HPT 06.12.12 Beta #1 = 2,770 06.14.12 Beta #2 = 6,300
    1st U/S 06.18.12 2nd U/S 06.25.12
    09.24.12 It's a Boy!! ---> Jacob Owen

Our IF Journey Began: October 2009
    **8 Failed IUI's, 1 Blighted Ovum, & 1 Failed IVF**
    Dx: MFI, DOR w/MTHFR Homozygous A1298C & Hypothyroidism
    03.2012 Lab Results: FSH 6.83 AMH 0.67 TSH 3.8 E2 17
    SA 156 million 93% motility 3% morphology

Follow Me on Pinterest
    **~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~**
  • I've had 3 IUIs:

1. My first one did. I was so nervous and my RE had bad bedside manner. She said my cervix was fighting against her. I compare it to the sensatation of a PAP smear.

2. I was told not to empty my bladder before IUI, but I was never told to come with a full bladder...I know this doesn't answer your question!

3. Maybe 5-min. But I had to lay on the bed for 10-minutes afterwards.

4. Yes :)

5. DH gave his sample at the clinic about 90-min. before IUI. 

tips: just relax! It will be fine and after all you've probably been through by this point, it's a breeze! GL to you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"