Pregnant after 35
Options

Talk to me about CVS testing, please

What did it feel like?  Did they do vaginal or abdominal and how did they decide?  Is one riskier than the other? 

How long did you have to lay low and how "low" did you lay?  Could I work if I was just sitting at a desk on a computer? 

What about travel?  I'd need to get on a plane 2 days later...  Is that a no-no?

How long for results?  Can you pay to rush them? 

Thanks for anything you can share.. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.

Re: Talk to me about CVS testing, please

• Options

I had a CVS done through my cervix, so basically it felt like getting a pap smear. The doctor decides which way to take the sample based on where the placenta is. I don't think one is riskier than the other.

My doctor's office said to be a "couch potato" for 24 hours after the procedure. After that I could resume normal activity but just be on the lookout for cramping or bleeding for a few days. I'm a SAHM to a preschooler, so DD stayed with my ILs the day of my CVS and overnight, returning the next evening so I could truly sit down and rest for 24 hours.

If you're not having any problems after the procedure, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to fly, except that maybe you wouldn't want to out of town until you were really sure everything was fine. This is a good question for the doctor.

You can ask to get preliminary results (FISH test) in a couple of days. The full results come back in about 10 to 14 days.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't have any experience with CVS.  If need be (NT results are poor) I will be going the amnio route.  That said, I think you should ask your doc about the flying thing so soon after the procedure.  GL, I hope that the procedure goes well for you and that your results are good.

Also, I just have to say that your siggy pic is absolutely adorable.  Your family looks fabulous in Blue!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had the CVS through my abdomen - they choose the location based on where the placenta is located.  The risks for miscarriage for where I had it done was 1:400, they didn't differentiate b/t testing sites.  The test itself wasn't painful, just a twinge of discomfort as they are taking the sample.  I think the entire test from u/s to clean up and verification that he had a good sample took 15 minutes maybe.  The doctor did mention that mine was pretty easy and that they aren't all like that though.

I was told to take it easy for the rest of the day, so no cleaning or working out or anything like that and then the next day I could return to normal if I felt up to it.  I had some slight cramping after, but nothing too bad and I think I didn't work out for a couple days after just because I wanted to be super cautious.

My MFM center didn't offer rush or preliminary results and told me turn around would be ~10 days.  I received the full results in exactly 7 days.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Mine was through my cervix (as above, based on the location of the placenta), and the real uncomfortable part was that the doctor had to try two different specula, so I was sore afterwards from that, but not from the procedure itself.  I also might have been flying two days later (though it turned out I didn't have to) and they said it would be fine -- which it would have been. I did spend the whole day afterwards lying in bed just to be careful. My perinatal center would have provided 24-hr results at no extra charge, but they have I get a large enough sample in order to do that (so they can run a quick test plus the longer test), and in my case the sample for the quick test was contaminated by yeast and didn't grow; that also slowed down the longer sample and I had to wait a full 14 days for results ( just so you know it can take the longest possible time they tell you, though most people seem to get the results earlier than they're told they will). 

me - 41 (dx: DOR); DH - 53 (no problems); 7/18/09 - married!; 8/4/09 - BFP on first (real)try; 9/14/09 - missed m/c; 9/15/09 - d&c; 11/09 - 3/10 - 4 natural cycles = BFN; 4/10 - dx hyperthyroidism caused by Graves' disease; 6/10 - thyroidectomy; 7/10 - 12/10 - 1 natural and 5 medicated IUI cycles = BFN; 1/11 - new RE; dx low ovarian reserve (AMH .42; 1/26/11 -- BFP (ectopic) from IUI #6; methotrexate 2/10/11; 6/2/11 - IVF #1 = BFN; 9/12/11 - prescreening for DE; 9/15/11 - IUI #7 (unmedicated)= BFN; 11/8 - begin DE cycle (shared risk program); 12/5 - ER (5 eggs/4 mature/3 fertilized/2 left by day 5) 12/10 - ET of one 1BB blast (expanded, "fair" quality), none to freeze; 12/22 - totally shocked by +hpt; beta #1 = 413; #2 = 3952 2/14 - CVS reveals a healthy baby girl! EDD: 8/27/12 DD born 8/31/12, 10 lbs 10 oz and perfect in every way. 
  • Options
    Mine was done through the cervix as well, based on placenta position.  My doc said he preferred the cervix when possible, since that meant he didn't have to make "another hole".  The mist uncomfortable part was laying with a full bladder - and then he was turning the catheter around (while viewing an u/s to navigate) and twisted it around one of my pubes.  I took the day off work and stayed off my feet.  And refrained from lifting anything more than 10-20 lbs for a few days.  I didn't have any cramping but had slight spotting.  My doc said many insurances don't cover FSH results so we just waited.  I want to say it was 9 days?
  • Options
    I went to a Doctor that specializes in CVS and Amnio's (that is all he does and has done more than 28,000 cvs in his career so risk was very low) He had to go in through my abdomen and it was very quick and almost completely painless ( I think the numbing shot was more irratating than the proceedure! ) I paid extra to get the FSH results in 2 days which include the trisomy 21, 18, 13 and weather its a boy or girl. Mine all came back normal and its a BOY! Let me know if you have any other questions... I know it can all be a little overwhelming!
  • Options

imageshoehussy:
    I paid extra to get the FSH results in 2 days which include the trisomy 21, 18, 13 and weather its a boy or girl.

Congrats on your Boy.  They really are a LOT of fun!

Would you by any chance feel comfortable sharing the extra cost associated with getting the early results?

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    I had a CVS done yesterday. They went in thru the abdomen. I did not have a numbing shot. To be honest it did hurt. I would want someone to be honest with me. The initial needle did not hurt it was getting through the uterus to the placenta that was the tough part. It is bearable and by the time you are really at your breaking point it is done. Probably took 2 min. The prep was the longest part. You can do it. Just makes you that much stronger. We get our results back Tuesday. This will be the longest 72 hrs of my life. Good luck with everything!
  • Options
    I had CVS testing completed - twice through the abdomen and one through the cervix.  I don't recall it being painful, but remember being slightly uncomfortable.  the worst part for me was that I had to have a full bladder and felt like I was going to go at any moment.  Afterwards, I didn't do much of anything.  I remember getting preliminary results within a week and further info about 2 weeks later.  I don't know if there was an option to get results earlier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"