Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Alternatives to Teaching

I know there are a ton of teachers on here but this post is for anyone. I've been teaching special ed. for 6 years. While I enjoy teaching but now that I am on leave I am acknowledging the fact that I am burned out. Sure I get my summers off but I am tired of teaching all day, coming home to do my home stuff, and then sit in front of the computer for hours doing more work. I spend my weekends doing paperwork. During the latter part of my pregnancy this time I stopped bringing work home and it backfired and I became overwhelmed. 

I'm starting to think about a change but I honestly have NO idea what I would do. I do know that I am done with bringing my work home with me- my kids, husband, and house need me. In an ideal world I would have a 9-5 job that I can leave at the end of the day and not worry. Yes, I would be willing to give up my free summers to reduce the stress.

If you were not teaching what would you be doing? For those that are not teachers- is there a different career path you wish you had gone into?

Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Alternatives to Teaching

• Options
    I'm not a teacher, but one of my former teacher friends tutors during the evenings/weekends while she SAH with her LO during the day. She makes a crazy amount an hour to tutor so she doesn't have to work a lot of hours to make a liveable salary. This is definitely what I would do if I were in that situation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageKC_13:
    I'm not a teacher, but one of my former teacher friends tutors during the evenings/weekends while she SAH with her LO during the day. She makes a crazy amount an hour to tutor so she doesn't have to work a lot of hours to make a liveable salary. This is definitely what I would do if I were in that situation.

This exactly.  I actually quit teaching before kids to work on a book and I made the same take home privately working 15 hours a week (obviously no benefits and I had to pay self employment tax)... But when I was an autism teacher I was in the door at 7, out at 7.  I now do a little as an advocate- nows a busy season, I go to 2-3 IEPs a week in May and June!    If I were going to switch altogether, I'd probably choose to work for the hospital doing parent ed for expectant parents, maybe get certified as a lactation consultant,... Our county is always looking for individuals to go in and provide respite services to families who receive them for their children with special needs.  But my secret fantasy is to babysit/daycare for a newborn full time.  Love the babies!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I lost my home health nursing job in October and I now stay at home and watch a few children in my home. We have plenty of space and a separate playroom. I work 6:30-5:15pm. To accommodate nurse's children when parents start work at 7am.

With baby number  2 on the way, the amount we are saving in daycare makes it worth it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm a school counselor.  I still have a teacher schedule but I don't usually bring anything home with me anymore.  I used to bring stuff home my first year or two- prepping lesson plans and stuff.  But now I have most of my stuff well organized and I don't do any real work once I come home.  

It's a great gig!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    imagejwthoms1:

I'm a school counselor.  I still have a teacher schedule but I don't usually bring anything home with me anymore.  I used to bring stuff home my first year or two- prepping lesson plans and stuff.  But now I have most of my stuff well organized and I don't do any real work once I come home.  

It's a great gig!

This is what I would like to do, but I am honestly afraid of change! I have been teaching 6th grade for 14 years now. Yes 14 years...6th grade! I do love it, but I feel that I am getting burned out. I have my Master's in counseling that I got 10 years ago. I planned on going into counseling, but just haven't yet. At this point I feel like I am comfortable doing what I do and I am afraid of changing, but I know that if I did I would probably wish I had done it sooner.

My DREAM job is one that I had years ago...teaching pre-school. I loved it, but the money just is not there. I would take a huge pay cut. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE babies!!! Another thing that I would love to do is finish writing a book that I started the year before I had my first DD. Hmmm, this was a good post you did. It is really making me think about things!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LSU628LSU628 member
    imagejwthoms1:

It's a great gig!

Ditto this. I love having the same vacation schedule as DD. I know several of my friends who are school counselors in the same district started out as teachers and made the transition to counseling. 

imageimage
  • Options
    I'd think that your SpEd cert would open a lot of doors for you.  What about a job with Early Intervention, the LIU, in-home after-hours tutoring, What about writing a column for the local paper where you share your strategies and give advice to all parents/teachers/coaches/educators?? I'd read it!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • Options
    I'm also a SpEd teacher.  I decided to be a SAHM after my first was born...  and after my second arrived, decided that I wanted to go back.  There were a lot of part time options in my district for SpEd teachers - pretty much anything that I wanted.  I finally decided to work as an evaluator of teachers (not just SpEd) as part of a grant.  I really enjoy it... it's actually made me miss the classroom!  I go in an observed/evaluate teachers for about 45 minutes then post-conference with them.  It's a five year grant.
  • Options

If I wasn't teaching, I don't know what I'd be doing - but I also often think of some sort of switch because it really is a profession that sucks the life out of you and drains  you in so many ways.  Special ed more so.

What are your qualifications?  Can you teach part time for a college or teach online courses?  I am working on being able to do that.  It's good to have options.

I've seen former teachers in all sorts of professions- I'd really search out something that will make you happy!  Having the summers off is what keeps me there right now!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"