Toddlers: 24 Months+

treats???

I really try to not give DD too much sugar or unhealthy food but no that she's old enough to have figured out that she LOVES chocolate or anything else that she thinks is a treat...she's always asking for them.  I don't mind giving her a small treat here and there but I don't know how I feel about her having one after every meal.  Like tonight she was asking for a yogurt covered pretzel during dinner, so I said she could have one after dinner, so she was like forcing herself to eat even after I could tell she was full.  I don't want her overeating at meals to get a treat but I don't know how to handle treats.  What do you do?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: treats???

• KadyraKadyra member
    I hear ya. For me, it's hard to say no when he spontaneously says please. I usually say "later" when I don't want him to have something. Later can often turn out to be 1-2 days later in my house. 
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • herohero member
    I would be more concerned about over-eating in order to have a treat after dinner than allowing one yogurt covered pretzel during the meal.
    <Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers>
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm with you!  It is only recently that they realized that cookie monster is not, in fact, eating rice "cookies"(cakes).

We do  not keep it in the house. I tell them junk food is for school and holidays and they are genuinely and surprisingly okay with that.  My MIL has always whined and moaned about it and showed up with a tub of ice cream recently and made a big dramatic ado about how a meal isn't a meal without ice cream.  The kids now expect icecream after every meal (ugh) but that's even turned out okay because they simply don't have it if they don't eat all of their dinner (like a tablespoon-ish of meat, one of vegetables, one of grains, one of fruit at the end.).  I am a natural consequence mama, and it bothers me to bribe my kids, and it pisses me off that MIL undermined, but I am pleased that they're eating more. 

Occasionally I'll surprise them with a treat- yogurt covered raisins, fruit snacks, whatever, and I let them eat them whenever they want until they are gone  because they are, in fact, a treat, but they can't argue with "gone." 

• LSU628LSU628 member
    I agree with just not having it in the house. I do it for myself as much as DD. DD made a happy plate the other night (a seriously rare occasion in our house) so we went out to get a cup of ice cream. It's all about moderation and making it something special and not the norm.
    imageimage
  • We do have dessert in our house, after a meal,  however that doesn't always mean something sweet.  Ds can be just as happy with a banana or a small bowl of strawberries as he is a cookie.  

For us, it works more as an incentive to get him to finish his vegtables.

• Leap08Leap08 member
    imagesmsalat:

imagehero:
    I would be more concerned about over-eating in order to have a treat after dinner than allowing one yogurt covered pretzel during the meal.

I agree with this. 

A treat after every meal = NO.  A treat after dinner as long as she ate healthy throughout the day....NO problem.  There is nothing wrong with moderation

As long as the child isn't eating chocolate chip cookies for breakfast/snack, or eating chips as part of lunch there is nothing wrong with giving a small treat once a day, IMO. 

I agree. My daughter occasionally gets desserts or treats if she has eaten well during the day. I think that putting too many restrictions on food makes that food even more tempting. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I must be the minority here.  I do not treat "treats" any differently than any other food.  If M wants a treat before dinner, I don't mind because he is an eating machine and will eat green beans or peas after having a small cookie or cracker while I make dinner. 
  • If it's not in the house, or out of sight, we're generally safe. I try to give a "treat" at least once a week so they don't overindulge when they do get something. I also look for healthy replacements... A tube of yogurt in the freezer is usually more appealing to them than ice cream anyway, berries with a little cool whip, etc.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"