2nd Trimester
Options

"You dont look 23 weeks"

So an aquaintance told me a couple of days ago that I dont even look pregnant (in a really rude way). That her sister is just getting in her 2nd trimester and already has a big pregnant belly. It really hurt my feelings, I'm going to blame the hormones on that. She made it seem like I was lying about my pregnancy. Of course, I dont want to look like I have a watermelon under my shirt yet. But I do feel self conscious because I was already a chubby girl before I was pregnant. So now I am in the awkward stage where people look at me and think "pregnant or chubby". You can tell they want to ask if I'm pregnant but dont want to be rude. Am I being completely emotional? Anyone else going through this right now???

Re: "You dont look 23 weeks"

• Options
    I am 23w1d today and I know EXACTLY how you feel. This is my first and I was also a bit overweight for my height and age when I found out. I've only gained about 4-5 lbs do far over these past five and a half months and am only starting to SLOWLY round out. All my old clothes still fit and I usually wear dresses to feel more comfortable. Over memorial day weekend, I was in a bikini top and board shorts and had multiple people say "oh, you're pregnant? We had no idea," which has now made me ban myself from wearing a bathing suit top that shows off my belly until I'm OBVIOUSLY pregnant. It can be really hard and annoying but my DH just smiles and tries to make me feel better. It's his opinion that matters to me, not the other caddy women on the beach! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I went through the same thing. Honestly, I really didn't 'pop' until the third trimester. Just ignore them. You will notice through the months on this board that when it comes to pergnant women that certain people; strangers, family, and friends have like absolutely NO FREAKIN' FILTER!! What is funny is I think people forget that pregnant women have crazy hormones going on. Just hang in there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    savishsavish member
    I'm currently in the same boat as you. I really do want the cute pregnant "bump" but I really just look chubby, and a few of my friends are around as far along as I am and have HUGE bellies! I guess it's just the way we're made, everyone carries differently depending on your build and how your uterus is. I'm sure you'll see a bump soon. It's not unheard of to not show until over 25 weeks.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! It's nice to see I'm not alone in this crazy roller coaster called pregnancy. :)
  • Options
    jlh2716jlh2716 member
    Yep. I don't look like I'm 26 weeks along, either, though I am, thankfully, past the "is she pregnant, or does she just really like doughnuts?" stage!
  • Options
    I'm the exact same way.  I had a few extra pounds on me before I started so I don't look huge now.  People say ridiculous things, just blow it off.  You are pregnant and you are lucky you have not gained so much weight that it's totally obvious yet.  I am finding tighter clothes are actually more flattering too.  
  • Options
    Yep.  I find that certain maternity shirts make it more obvious, but until like 25 weeks or so it won't be fully 100% without a doubt noticeable.  It just sucks!!!  I was crying to DH about it this morning.  I hated this inbetween stage when I was pregnant with DD1 also! 

• Options
    I discovered that it comes with the territory, especially if this is your first baby. I'm 22 weeks and barely showing. However I get the same comments, usually from women who are heavier then me or they have had multiple children already. I convinced myself that it's just jealousy. Take it as a compliment. Every woman shows differently. My uterus is tilted so that part of the reason why I don't show as much. Just take it as a grain of salt with these comments. They should know better.
    The power and intensity of your contractions cannot be stronger than you, because it IS YOU. Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have a bit of a belly, just enough so that people who know i'm pregnant can see it. When i was 19 weeks i was admitted to the hospital, but the doctor in emergency didn't believe i was 19 weeks, until he felt for my uterus. I'm kind of glad i don't have a massive belly yet, simply so i don't have to deal with the 'OMG you are going to pop" comments. However i wish i didn't look just chubby, or like i ate too much. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"