Parenting
Options

Is this strange?

I just received an evite for my cousin's wife's surprise baby shower.  A friend of hers is throwing a party.  So the invite is for a restaurant - it gives time and address.  Then it says "each guest is responsible for their own food and drinks".

Would this be a little strange to you?

Re: Is this strange?

• Options
    Not so much as strange, but more rude and ill mannered. That doesn't follow traditional etiquette rules.
  • Options
    Yes, it is.  And depending on how close I was to the MTB would determine if I actually go or not.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    2Gma2Gma member

I think that is tacky, especially if you are expected to order something.  I feel if someone is hosting that is part of the responsibilities or chose another location.

DD#1 5 years DD#2 3 years
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. 
  • Options
    jlw2505jlw2505 member
    Not really strange, not really a nice way to say that they want you to come celebrate but that they are not paying for everything - just being the organizer.  I know when we held my SIL's wedding shower, my other SIL who planned it did something along those lines but it was not on the evite.  Basically, she had sent an evite about the event (it was a spa day and then dinner and a bonfire at her house).  I remember she listed something about the spa treatments would be discounted for us.  As people responded, she sent them an email stating that spa treatments would be at your own expense and the same with dinner and that as the gift for the bride, she asked that everyone contribute to the bride's dinner and spa stuff.  She and the other host paid more than everyone - we knew the spa cost before we went so people could decline if they wished or were not able.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    roxy_jjroxy_jj member
    Yes, I do think it's strange.  It's a bit rude to have guests pay for their own food/drinks at a shower. 
    Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • Options

I'd say I'm a bit on the fence here - Do I think it has an element of tackiness? You better believe it...  Do I think showers are super expensive and fronting the bill yourself for everything can be overwhelming? Oh yea...  I also think it's a bit rude unless the guest list is super small to expect a waiter/ress to have to keep track of a large group as individuals instead of as a whole...

While it may sit a bit wrong with me, in a way I'd be glad that they were up front about it ahead of time and am hoping it's an affordable family-type restaurant where the prices aren't out of people's budgets and that either a link or copy of the menu was included if you aren't a local...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Rude. Generally when you host a party it is implied that you are to provide the refreshments. If you can't afford the restaurant, cook it yourself. That's what I do.
  • Options
    Rude and tacky. If you're hosting a party you foot the bill. If you can't afford to host it then don't.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Before last weekend i would have said strange and rude, but i went to a rehearsal dinner and had to pay for my drinks and food.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP 7/6/09. M/c at 10w5d (8/14/09). Had D&C 8/19/09.
  • Options
    Ms5586Ms5586 member

I'm not a follower of proper etiquette mostly (I despise it, it's old and outdated), but having a shower where guests buy their own food and drink is atrocious, IMO.  Obviously the host doesn't have enough money.

Cousin's wife's shower - if you're not very close, I wouldn't go.  Send her a gift and be done with it.  That shower sounds full of "Oh my...." moments.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If I attend a party where it's customary to bring a gift, I would expect to not also pay for my food and drink.

A pp mentioned going out for dinner to celebrate someone's birthday - sure, fine, I will pay for my own meal and a portion of the person whose birthday is being celebrated, but then I don't also bring a gift.

Showers are traditionally gift-giving occasions, where I am from. 

Noah (12~28~06) and Eli (8~5~10)

• Options
    It seems to be more and more common these days. Last year I was leaving a rehersal dinner and a waitress chased after me in the parking lot to collect my money. lol, I was a little like wtf...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageMarSamWhitney:
    It seems to be more and more common these days. Last year I was leaving a rehersal dinner and a waitress chased after me in the parking lot to collect my money. lol, I was a little like wtf...

Now that would royally P*** me off!!!  If you can't afford your own RD, then have a pizza party or a backyard bbq...  Heck, KFC offers a $7/pp option for catering and Pizza Hut has a $10 dinner box - it won't break the bank to stick to a budget!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Strange, yes since I've never been to one like that, but honestly, I wouldn't be too upset.  I would make sure I brought cash so I could just leave my portion. 

Two boys already - ages 5 and 3...

...baby #3 is here...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imagepookie2005:
    Rude. Generally when you host a party it is implied that you are to provide the refreshments. If you can't afford the restaurant, cook it yourself. That's what I do.

This

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options

surprise shower for a cousin~ Rude.

However this is common (not stated) when we have a shower for a co-worker (co-workers only/intimate gathering shower)...even if there is a planner, someone making the reservations for a large group/setting the date and maybe a few decor.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hrm.. call me rude. Every shower I've been to (and thrown!) the guests have paid for their own food/drinks. I haven't put it on the invite, and it was just expected as it has been our family's custom so someone doesn't feel like they're footing the bill for everyone else. That said, my showers have always been close family affairs.. I do agree that an acceptable alternative is to just have a shower at your house and cook yourself if you don't feel like paying for everyone's meal. Now a rehearsal dinner- that feels different to me- guests shouldn't have to pay. That's a party of the wedding expense (or groom's expense..)
  • Options

This isn't strange, it's downright rude.  You get to bring a gift for the shower *and* pay for your meal at a restaurant you didn't choose?  Boy, how lucky are you!

Seriously, the hosts should have a gathering they can afford without burdening the guests.  If that's cupcakes and punch, great. If it's a meal at a restaurant, great.  But it's completely inappropriate to ask guests to bring a gift and buy their meals as well. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"