C-sections

Anxiety over RCS

I'm almost 20 weeks, and lately I've been having a lot of anxiety over my RCS. It hasn't even been scheduled yet, but I've been thinking about DD, and I'm just so worried for her if something were to happen to me.  I've been having dreams that really upset me, about trying to write her letters should something happen to me, and then I start thinking about not being there for when she graduates high school or college, or gets married, or has kids of her own.  (Yes I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it).

Is this normal?  Is there anyting I can do or read to help me calm my fears? Anyone have any advice?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anxiety over RCS

• lpcjlpcj member

Sometimes those thoughts enter my head but I take solace in the fact that c sections aren't a rare surgical procedure.  I trust that my doctor and the hospital know what they are doing and that everything will be fine even if there is an unexpected complication.

I think it's normal to be a little anxious just try to stay calm and know that you are in good hands.

• I understand your anxiety, but like PP said, complications are so rare, and as long as you have faith in your OB and hospital, there is very very little chance of anything going wrong at all. 

I know with the first section I was so tired from labor and pushing that I didn't really think about the risks of surgery.  Unfortunately with number 2 we all have way too much time to think about all that!  And you know pregnant ladies aren't known for being rational Stick out tongue

I think is it normal to be anxious, and you should talk with your OB any time you have concerns and they should be able to put your mind at ease a little.  Hang in there!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Not sure if it is normal but I have been having the same thing. I keep planning for things as if I am not going to make it. I wrote down my bank bill pay password to give to DH incase he needs to pay bills and I am not there. Then I worry that my OB won't prescribe enough pain pills, that he will not give anxiety meds if I am anxious on the operating table ( like they did last time ) and then I start doubting his abilities. I have had nightmares where my OB turns into a deamon in the operating room or my DH is no where to be found when I am having surgery! My last got infected and it was seriously a nightmare. Just last night I was thinking about how horrible it would be if I didnt make it and my lil 4 year old didn't have a mommy.          
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i was very scared of having a rcs. i went a week early and had a emergency csection since lo was breeched. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was really nervous about not knowing what to expect. The recovery was pretty hard the first three days. If you want to recover fast, then you need to get up and walking asap.

Have your DH talk to you in the OR, like a private converstation between the both of you. This will help keep your mind off it. Also it's cold in there, so ask for blankets if they don't give it to you.

image image image Emily and Dan 03-15-2008 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I went through the same thing with my RCS. I felt the need to make sure DH knew how to do everything for DS just in case. Although it was planned I even felt guilty for having another baby b/c it meant "risking my life" and not being with DS1. I keep a journal for both of my kids & writing in DS1's journal made me feel a little better. I didn't expressing my fears of leaving him alone, but wrote about all the funny, cute things he does, how much I loved him, how I knew he was going to be a wonderful big brother, etc.

I cried on the way to the hospital b/c I was so anxious & scared thinking about not being there for DS1 & that feeling didn't really stop until I heard my new son crying & then all my anxiety & fear was replaced with joy & relief. (not sure why I felt like everything would be fine before the surgery was over, but I did)

We left for the hospital very early in the morning & it worked out well that I didn't see DS before the surgery b/c I'm not sure I could've held it together. I never wanted him to see me upset or scared. He stayed with our family in the waiting room & they recorded him getting to see his little brother for the first time. He was SO excited & I'm so glad I was able to see that moment later.

I worried about everything...that DS would have a hard time staying with my parents while we were at the hospital, that he would get upset when he had to leave the hospital while we stayed there with the baby, that he'd have a hard time adjusting to not having us to himself afterwards & he had zero problem with any of those.

All the worries are normal & it will be ok. Like pps mentioned there are countless c/s' done every day. Focus on how excited your LO will be to meet her new little brother/sister. If it makes you feel better to write her a letter go ahead & do it.

Married: '06 - Mom of 3 boys: '08, '11 & '14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"