November 2011 Moms

sippy cup confusion

Hi There,

At what age do you start with a sippy cup?  I was looking at some larger bottles for DD and saw a sippy for 4 months and two different kinds for 6 months.  Since she can hold her own bottle, I don't need handles, right?  I got the four month cup since it was on sale, but I'm not sure what to do...  What are you all doing?  Thanks!   

Re: sippy cup confusion

• I'll start DS with a straw-type sippy cup. It's a bit easier for them to use a straw, and when we did the same for DD she took right to it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My son is having a hard time with sippy cups in general. I first introduced one at about 4 months just to familiarize him with it. Then again at 5 months, trying get him to hold it. Now, he'll drink from it, but won't hold it. I hope your LO likes it!

Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • About a month ago, I bought a sippy cup for 4 month olds that has big handles.  DD LOVES it, but I don't think she gets much out of it.  It really needs to be tilted high up to get anything out.  I'm going to go buy some with straws.

• caffrincaffrin member

imageRedCamaro:
    I'll start DS with a straw-type sippy cup. It's a bit easier for them to use a straw, and when we did the same for DD she took right to it.

DS doesn't get how to use a regular sippy cup at all. So I was thinking of getting one with a straw. Question though, did your little one every bite the straw? DS has teeth and I don't want him to bite a piece of the straw off!!

Lilypie - (2Lt7)      Lilypie - (WFOL)

Jonah Stephen born at 39w on 11/3/2011                Naomi Isabel born at 37w 5d on 5/27/2013
  • We started giving DS a sippy @ 4 months. I give him the sippy cup with a little water at every "meal" in the high chair. It took him a couple weeks to be able to drink out of it on his own. But now he loves it & can drink out of it all on his own. I have two different ones(Avent & Nuk). DS preferes the Nuk. But both cups have handles but the Nuk's handles can be taken off.

I've thought about trying the straw cups soon.

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I give DD a sippy at most "meals" and she loves chewing on it and playing.  She hasn't figured out how to drink from the ones with valves, and the one we have without valves chokes her, cause the water comes out too fast, so we don't use it.  Her favorite is a Nuby, I think, it's a silicon spout, so it's soft to chew on and she's slowly figurig out that when she chews water comes out. 
    BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
  • We just introduced a sippy last week when we started solids. DS hasn't a clue how to use it. It's pretty hilarious. He just holds onto the handle and waves it around like a toy. He'll get it eventually. We have the Nuk brand. So far it seems fine - I'm sure it will be a while until DS develops some sort of preference.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"