Attachment Parenting

Floor bed for a 14 month old?

DD has been an increasingly terrible sleeper ever since the 4MW. At this point, the only way we can get her to sleep for naps or bedtime is to lie down in our bed with her. We're ok with bedsharing (for the past few months we've been putting her to sleep in her crib, then bringing her to bed with us once we go to bed - but she suddenly will have nothing to do with her crib), but for naps and the first few hours of the night between her bedtime and ours we need to be able to sneak out and leave her sleeping on her own. Our bed is pretty high and our room isn't 100% baby-proofed, so we're thinking about using a spare full-size mattress we have as a floor bed for her in a room that doesn't have anything else in it except a few of her extra toys. Thoughts? Anyone else do a floor bed for a todder? If your LO wakes in the night do you go sleep with them the rest of the night or just lie down long enough until they fall asleep again?

Any other tips are welcome - at this point I'm fully rested from having to lie down/sleep whenever DD does so that's nice... but I no longer have ANY free moments to myself like I did when she used to nap in her crib and spend the first couple hours of the night there, so I'm feeling a little burnt out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Floor bed for a 14 month old?

• You can definitely do a floor bed for a 14 month old. For more information you could google "Montessori Floor Bed" to find out about people who use a floor bed for philosophical reasons. 

We didn't do a floor bed but I wish we had. Friends gave us their old toddler bed so we're using that. Sadly my son still nurses to sleep (though he's slowly weaning himself) and I end up laying in the toddler bed with him (very uncomfortable) at bedtime and again in the middle of the night. In my case I go in, get him back to sleep and go back to my bed, but that's because his is not comfortable.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We moved DD to a matress on the floor next to our bed around 12(ish) months.  It's great.  Being right next to our bed, I don't have to move very far when she wakes in the night, but I can still have some time not right next to her.  It took a while for me to be able to leave after she fell asleep, and I have to make sure she's gotten past the "twitchy limb" stage.
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We switched LO to a twin mattress in his room at 15 months.  I think he sleeps so much better there than he ever did in a crib because it is more like our bed.  He goes right down for naps with no issues there and does okay at night time.  Night has always been a little more problematic for us though.  I rock him and put him in his bed, but he still wakes up about midnight and joins us in our bed then.  Sometimes he wakes up before that.  I used to go lie down with him, but now I've gotten to where I can just put my hand on his back most of the time!  Yay!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I don't see a problem with it. We started DS on a floor bed in his baby-proofed room when he started crawling at 9 months. Once he wakes after we're in bed we bring him in with us. For naps, he sometimes sleeps in his bed, sometimes sleeps in ours (we taight him how to scale the bed to get down and he isn't a roller, so I don't worry about him in our bed without us). In either place we have to lay down with him to get him to go to sleep, but we are able to inch away once he's out. He would never, EVER go down to sleep on his own with something with 4 sides, LOL!
  • I want to say DS has been in his floor bed since before he was one.  I can't remember the exact age bout I want to say 9 pr 10 months.  He still sleeps with us a part of the night (well early morning) for snuggles buit he loves his floor bed. Honestly I love the Montessori principle for floor beds and I don't think we will ever use a crib again for suture babies. We will just cosleep and use the floor bed from day 1. DS hated his crib and was never in it. When the drop side ones got recalled I got rid of his since it was a hand me down and drop side and was never being used. I don't think I will buy one with the next kid. A lot of Montessori kids start out cosleeping and using the floor bed from day 1. Just make sure the room is childproofed and the whole room becomes like a huge crib. I will sometimes find my DS reading in his nook or playing and I'm fine with that, and don't worry if you find him in the floor. We find DS in the floor sometimes, he will get up and then just lay down and go to sleep on the floor when he is ready. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• DS has never been a great sleeper. We started using a floor bed in our room a couple weeks ago. I am happy to report that he has STTN 2 times since and several other nights only woke up 1 time. He has never slept this well before. 
  • skyejoskyejo member
    imagepitterpatter129:

We switched LO to a twin mattress in his room at 15 months.  I think he sleeps so much better there than he ever did in a crib because it is more like our bed.  He goes right down for naps with no issues there and does okay at night time.  Night has always been a little more problematic for us though.  I rock him and put him in his bed, but he still wakes up about midnight and joins us in our bed then.  Sometimes he wakes up before that.

Same thing with us except we went straight from bed sharing to a floor mattress at 18 months.  It's like clockwork though...once it hits midnight DD wants to sleep with me.  I don't mind necessarily but would like her to sleep longer stretches by the time #2 arrives.  Hopefully!

• Yep, DS2 has a floor bed. We had his crib mattress shoved against our mattress for awhile, but we just bought him a twin-size mattress that is separate from our mattress. He starts the night out there, and I *try* to keep him on his mattress, but I've been just bringing him into bed with DH and I after midnight or so. Being able to lie down with him and then leave him sleeping is the only thing keeping me sane right now!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"