Multiples
Options

Planning work leave...

...sucks a big one when you have pretty much zero clue when babies will arrive. How have you ladies planned your return to work? 

Please bear with me...I need to think "out loud" with those that may have been in similar positions.  

Looks like next week will be my last week at work...and not by choice. So leave will start at 29 weeks. Aside from 2.5 weeks...my leave is all unpaid. This is kinda sudden so I have to turn in a work plan this week and get leave dates to my HR Rep. At this point I am leaning on saying I'll be out 14 weeks (9/17 return). I originally wanted to be out 10-12 weeks, but my bosses would rather I finish now and they get someone in by summer (I work for a University), especially after my OB banned my commute to work last week. 

So if I am out 14 wks and my due date is Aug 25th........let's say my girls come at 35 weeks - that will give me 8 weeks recovery time after the c/s.

I know that no one can predict how things will go. And of course having my girls after 36 weeks is way better. All I'm wondering if these are "safe" estimates. Of course...my return date is flexible, but the thought of no pay for longer is hard to not worry about. Am I nuts? 

TIA! 

Oh! And I'm pretty much the only one in my office...this adds to the stress.  

DS Born July 2008
#2 & #3 Due 8/25/12
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
imageimage

Re: Planning work leave...

• Options
    mars724mars724 member

One of the difficult things about having multiples is all the unknowns and variable factors. As hard as it is to let got, most of this is 100% out of ur hands. So i would make a "goal" or ideal scenario for ur self, but understand the body and babies have their own agenda. 

Good luck! 

Married 07/2011 <3
    ID Twin girls 04/2012 <3<3
    Baby #3 Due Jan. 2017  <3

• Options
    imagemars724:

One of the difficult things about having multiples is all the unknowns and variable factors. As hard as it is to let got, most of this is 100% out of ur hands. So i would make a "goal" or ideal scenario for ur self, but understand the body and babies have their own agenda. 

Good luck! 

Thank you. I really need to let go! I think I should just set the dates and then worry when the time comes. I know it will all work out in the end.  

DS Born July 2008
    #2 & #3 Due 8/25/12
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I thought they were going to put me out now at 29 weeks, but it looks like I can go to 31 weeks now. Yeah! I want the time off next year nor now! I would think you need more than 8 weeks after a c section personally. I would say a minimum of 12 weeks. Good luck!!
  • Options
    After my scheduled c-section with my son, I was able to slowly return to work 6 wks post partum. I was back in full swing by 8 weeks.
  • Options
    I made a best case scenario (delivering at 38 weeks with no bed rest) and turned that in with the caveat that things could change at any time and I'd be open with communication on how to deal with it in that case.  You can also say you'll be out for 8 weeks after your c/s regardless of when your due date is (or whatever you're planning), and you can estimate it based on when your OB would typically perform one for you.  So rather than focusing on how many weeks you'll be gone, focus on what the ideal scenario is for a healthy pregnancy and adjust as needed.  As much as it would be crummy to be without pay for even longer, being able to make sure you have enough time to get oriented with twins will be important as well (plus disability for c/s usually goes for 8 weeks anyhow).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageLottaLattes:
    I made a best case scenario (delivering at 38 weeks with no bed rest) and turned that in with the caveat that things could change at any time and I'd be open with communication on how to deal with it in that case.  You can also say you'll be out for 8 weeks after your c/s regardless of when your due date is (or whatever you're planning), and you can estimate it based on when your OB would typically perform one for you.  So rather than focusing on how many weeks you'll be gone, focus on what the ideal scenario is for a healthy pregnancy and adjust as needed.  As much as it would be crummy to be without pay for even longer, being able to make sure you have enough time to get oriented with twins will be important as well (plus disability for c/s usually goes for 8 weeks anyhow).

I agree with this. I had to give a date to work already too. Although I know personally that the twins could come well before 38 weeks, I gave them the date of Sept 7 as my last day at work, since I knew I wouldn't be allowed go past that date. Then if the babies come early, you can maybe call your boss and let them know you could be coming back earlier, instead of needing more time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"