Baby Names
Options

Acceptable to use the same MN as a close relative?

Hi,

My sister-in-law just had a beautiful baby girl, and I am due in two months. We already know we are having a girl. We both kept names a secret. The problem is they used the middle name that we were going to use. My husband thinks it's ok to still use it, but I am worried that it will seem strange with the girls being so close in age. Should we try to find an alternative middle name, or should we just stick with what we decided in the first place?

Re: Acceptable to use the same MN as a close relative?

• Options
    It's a MN, so I think it's fine. How often are they going to use it? If it were a first name, I'd reconsider.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    There are six girl cousins on one side of my family - 3 have Elizabeth as a middle name and the other 3 have Lynn. If anything it is fun to have that connection, it's never been weird or an issue.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have the same MN as my cousin. Honestly, I always thought it was neat and felt a connection with her. I wasn't named after anyone, it was just a random name my mom always liked. I say go for it.
    boots badgePhotobucket BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    raefreraefre member

Middle names seem to go one of two ways: either really generic (Lynn, Lee, Rae, Grace, etc) or really unique. If the name is one of those generic mn's (or a family MN), I wouldn't really worry about it.  But if it is something super unique, I'd reconsider.

Mind sharing the MN?

• Options
    I think it is fine.  If you like it, use it.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Options
    I think it's a great idea to use the same middle name.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    I think it is fine to use it!
    Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    my mom has 6 sisters and 6 brothers. they have the middle names 'marie' and 'mark'.  all of my cousins, my sister, and i all have these names. i love it! its something that holds us all together!
  • Options
    My cousin & I have the same middle name. We were named after our grandmother. It's not a big deal
    The waste in life lies in the love we have not given, the powers we have not used and the selfish prudence that will risk nothing; and which shirking pain, misses happiness as well. Mary Cholmondeley
  • Options
    My brother's daughter and mine both have the same middle name. I vote it's A-ok!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't think it's a huge deal, especially since they are middle names. I am kind of curious what the middle names are.

There are some that, though they aren't super common as first names, they are have become pretty standard as middle names. Examples include Grace, Katharine, Ann, Marie, Kate, Jane, Lynn, etc. If I knew that two girls were cousins and one was Sophia Grace and one was Audrey Grace (random examples), I wouldn't think twice about it.

Some names are a lot more uncommon, so I might find it odder if two cousins just so happened to have that same middle name. So if you had a Sophia Gretchen and an Audrey Gretchen, it would strike me as a little bit odder, but I still wouldn't think too hard about it.

• Options
    MelleTXMelleTX member
    My son and my niece will have the same middle name. (Ryan after my late brother). No big deal at all. 
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options
    I have the same mn as my grandmother and 2 of my cousins.  I don't think it's a big deal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input. My niece's name is Gabrielle Rose, and we are planning on naming our daughter Maria Rose. I think the two first names sound cute together, so maybe it's fun that they have the same middle name, too. 
  • Options

imagemelody921:
    It's a MN, so I think it's fine. How often are they going to use it? If it were a first name, I'd reconsider.

THIS.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"