Parenting
Options

Cancer sucks

On Sunday one of my sorority sisters lost her 12 year battle with breast cancer.  She is one of the huge reasons why I joined the sorority that I did - we met the summer before I rushed and become close friends right away.  We lost touch after college (no email or FB way back then) but reconnected a few years ago.  She stayed strong and positive until the end.  She was 41 and leaves behind 3 daughters.

Today I found out that a HS classmate of mine has Stage 3 Breast Cancer and had both of her breasts removed last week.  Every lymph node that was removed was positive for cancer.  She is waiting to find out if it has spread.  She is also 41.

I have a friend and a 2 co-workers who both are breast cancer survivors - all were diagnosised in their 30's.

Please, please, please make sure you are getting mammograms and doing monthly self breast exams.  Cancer sucks but when you catch it early, your chances of beating it are so much better.

I am sitting here at work feeling very lost for the loss of my friend and for what my classmate is going through right now.  Hug those around you tonight and remember to live your life for the moment.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 

Re: Cancer sucks

• Options
    So sad!  Sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    2Gma2Gma member

Sorry for the loss of your friend.  I'm sure they appreciate your kindness, concern, and friendship.

Thank you for the monthly reminder.  I have breast cancer history in my family...it's scary to me at times.

DD#1 5 years DD#2 3 years
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

So sorry for your loss. My best friend is currently battling Stage 4 Breast Cancer... not even 40, with three young kids. It's heart-wrenching to watch your loved ones go through this. And it's terrifying how prevalent breast cancer is becoming in younger women.

Ditto to all your words of wisdom... mammograms, self-exams, and living your life right.

When sisters stand shoulder to shoulder, who stands a chance against us? ~Pam Brown
    Big Girl 2.7.06 ~ Baby Girl 9.2.07
    image7_0002
  • Options

I agree, cancer sucks a big one.  Stop smoking too ya'll.  My dad was recently diagnosed with stage III lung cancer.

I'm sorry for your loss...

SS10 - SD9 - DD7 - DS5 - DS born 10/3/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"