Pregnant after IF
Options

First u/s and medium rare meat ?

Had our first u/s today and can't believe the little bean is really in there!

I was planning on cutting out red meat but tonight my IL's are taking us to my fav restaraunt for our anniversary.  I always get a filet and I can't eat it anyway other than MR.  Am I okay to eat this, this one time or should I just pass to be safe?  I keep reading conflicting things so I don't know what to do.

TTC since 2008, our little miracle arrived July 2013!

photo fe6a27e4-de39-4f30-81f0-14bbf2fc509c.jpg

Re: First u/s and medium rare meat ?

• Options

I eat meat all the time. Meat is safe. Go to dinner.

Can you eat medium well? or medium? Just to be on the safe side?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

i'm the same way, unless it's bleeding i can't eat it LOL

but i switched to just medium, and it's been do-able, most places it's still pretty pink inside, i can't do med-well or well, there's no point in eating meat if it's that cooked, totally has no flavor lol

**~*Noelle*~**
    Happily Wed DH in May 2010
    June 2012: DD#1 born after countless fertility cycles, our 4 year old miracle 
    TTC #2: current cycle: 225iu Menopur for 4 weeks, Ovidrel Trigger= BFP! Beta #1; 333, Beta #2 713! 1st u/s showed TWINS (7/18)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageangela2004:

I eat meat all the time. Meat is safe. Go to dinner.

Can you eat medium well? or medium? Just to be on the safe side?

This is my issue I can't eat Medium or past.  So it's MR or eat something else.  I 've read MR is okay as long as it's not all the time and read to stick with Medium or more (which I can't do) so I 'm torn on what to do.  If we were eating anywhere else I would get something else.  It's just tough to pass up a filet at this particular place.  We only go here about once every 2-3 years.  If I saw MR as a consistent "don't do" then I would easily pass on the filet but I haven't so I'm just so torn what to do.

• Options

The concern is food borne pathogens like listeria, I've honestly never understood this suggested no-no because if your favorite steak place was routinely making people sick with medium rare or even rare steaks wouldn't we all stay away from them?  Yes, pregnancy definitely affects your immune system but this is one recommendation I've ignored when I'm at a good steak place.  Now, I also prefer hamburgers medium rare but I do not indulge in those during pregnancy - reason being steaks have 6 cut sides, therefore only 6 sides (the outside) where pathogens, bacteria, and other kitchen nasties can attach.  Hamburger meat has almost infinite edges/sides so I get it cooked at least medium well.

Ultimately it's up to you and your risk tolerance, which I know you know, but my reasoning has always been that as long as I understand the background of the recommendation I'm perfectly capable of making a determination as to whether a particular food from a particular restaurant would be safe to eat.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Congrats on your U/S!

You have to check to see what temp Med-rare is.  I asked my OB about this and she said as long as it is cooked (to an X temperature) it's safe to eat.  However, I forgot what temperature she said.  I'm sure you can look it up online somewhere.

P.S. Found it (from FDA) https://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/HealthEducators/ucm082294.htm 

Cook beef, veal, and lamb roasts and steaks to at least 145? F (63? C).

Most websites say medium rare is 145 F & medium is160 F.  If you can't eat anything that's more cooked than MR, I'd be on the cautious side and just skip it.  Sorry!

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've always been a bloody rare gal, but since being pregnant I've switched to medium.
    Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imagenaybird:
    I've always been a bloody rare gal, but since being pregnant I've switched to medium.

Same here.  Why, because are immune systems are suppressed while pregnant.  I just choose to be a bit more careful about things like this.  

TTC since 2006
    Me: 36 DH: 40
    DH dx azoospermia My dx: RA & AMA
    d-IUI's--6/10, 7/13 & 8/4: all BFN
    d-IVF#1--Lupron/Menopur/Bravelle/Novarel; mini-dose protocol
    ER: 10/25--18R; 14F; ET: 10/28--3dt of 2 embies; 3 blasts frozen
    + HPT 11/4; Beta #1--14dp3dt: 441; Beta #2--21dp3dt: 9298
    One beautiful jelly bean growing! Saw h/b on 11/28 and 12/5!!!
    P/SAIF welcome
    <a href="http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/mandalinn/?action=view
  • Options
    Well in case anyone was curious I decided to ask what they cook the steak at and it was 168. I read anything above 145 is okay so I decided not to forgo the filet.  All that worrying for nothing.  But to stay on the cautious side this will probably be the only steak I eat during my pregnancy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"