Cloth Diapering
Options

Washing new diapers - color bleeding??

I'm just getting around to washing my stash so that I can get it put away for baby.  I have a mix of all different colors of diapers.  The ones that are bright colors recommend washing separately 6 times to avoid color bleeding.  How well do I need to separate them??  Does each color need to be washed separately?  Or can blues go with greens, reds with oranges, etc?  I don't want to ruin my new dipes! TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Washing new diapers - color bleeding??

• Options
    kacellekacelle member
    I've never washed diapers separately to avoid bleeding.  All fabrics should've been pre-washed.  I've even asked diaper makers about this before to make sure I didn't ruin diapers and they said it isn't necessary.  What brand did you buy?
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    They're Bumgenius.  The zinnia, dazzle, moonbeam, and sassy all had stickers on them advising to wash separately at first. :-/
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I received my bumgenius order today and was about to post the same question! Washing the dark covers 6 times seems excessive. But at the same time I don't want to worry about color bleeding. Hopefully someone can offer advice on this!
  • Options
    I've never washed my BG diapers seperate and I've had no problems. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Labor Buddy to chulita425!
  • Options

I had bleeding once, with an Oh Katy diaper. It's red and a few little streaks of red ended up on both of the microfiber inserts. It wasn't too bad and I was able to get the stains 95% out by sunning them.

I only have a light green BG and haven't had any problems with it bleeding.

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• Options
    I was wondering the same thing....I wonder if it would hurt if I threw in a shout color catcher sheet??
  • Options
    I have yet to wash my BGs separately. I read the warning when I was prepping but took my chances. All was well. :) I just didn't have that kind of time or energy.
  • Options
    I wash all different colors and prints. No bleeding yet. We have every print and color of BG+ Oh Katys and Cosmic Tots Bots (black).
  • Options

I washed my sassy and mirror flips with all the rest of my diapers that I just prepped a couple of weeks ago.  I put in a few shout color catchers with the load, so that might of helped though they didn't really have much color on them when I took them out.

I did wash my new orange and pomegranate tots bots separately because I had read that the pomegranate one had bled for people.  The color catcher was definitely reddish when I finished the load.  I have also read about the zinnia bleeding, so I would probably wash that one separately and get some shout color catchers to throw in with the other ones.  I also used some of these when I washed my baby clothes because I was worried about colors running, and didn't have any problems.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Update: I decided to play it safe with the red/purple dipes and washed them separately the first few washes.  Glad I did because the insert portions of the Dazzle BG freetimes were definitely stained a really light purple after washing.  Kind of wish I'd used the color catcher things, but I guess it doesn't matter since you don't see that part...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"