Babies on the Brain
Options

Bundle of nerves

My mom, sisters, and best friend and I are all going dress shopping Saturday, and it will be the first time I've tried on a wedding dress.

And I'm so nervous. I'm not going into this trip wanting to buy THE dress; it's more to see what styles of dress look good on me and to get a baseline, so to speak.

So when did you buy your dress before your wedding? I know that most couples aren't engaged for a year and a half like us, but I figured I'd ask.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Bundle of nerves

• Options
    biomaj5biomaj5 member
    I got married on Leap Year day in 2008. I bought my dress in Oct 2007. I only went to try on dresses once.
    imageimage
    7,065/13,000=54.3%
    Started TTC in June 2008. Not bothering any more.

Bonafide thread killah
  • Options

I bought my dress about 9 months before the wedding?  I don't remember really.

The thing about wedding dresses, is that you will know the "one" when you try it one.  You will probably like a lot of them, and think they may be "the one", but you will know the minute you actually put it on.

Good luck dress shopping, can't wait to see a PIP. 

Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagebugandbibs:

The thing about wedding dresses, is that you will know the "one" when you try it one.  You will probably like a lot of them, and think they may be "the one", but you will know the minute you actually put it on.

Here's the creepy thing: FI's already positive that I'm going to bring a dress home on Saturday, or at least select one. He's been subjected to enough Say Yes To The Dress episodes and said "you'll try on a dress, it'll be THE ONE, you and everyone else will cry, the end."

But I think getting a dress this soon isn't wise, because so much can happen between now and next October. 

• Options
    imagestarchai920:
    imagebugandbibs:

Here's the creepy thing: FI's already positive that I'm going to bring a dress home on Saturday, or at least select one. He's been subjected to enough Say Yes To The Dress episodes and said "you'll try on a dress, it'll be THE ONE, you and everyone else will cry, the end."

But I think getting a dress this soon isn't wise, because so much can happen between now and next October. 

Picking it out and buying it aren't the same thing :)  If you are lucky, you may be able to get it at a discount later as a discontinued style.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Options
    imagebugandbibs:

All of this! I never thought I would be one of those girls that just knows, but when I put my dress on it was magic! 

I bought it about 8months before the wedding but we had a 9 month engagement.

Good luck!! And have fun! 

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imagebugandbibs:
    imagestarchai920:
    imagebugandbibs:
    I bought my dress about 9 months before the wedding? I don't remember really. The thing about wedding dresses, is that you will know the "one" when you try it one. You will probably like a lot of them, and think they may be "the one", but you will know the minute you actually put it on. Good luck dress shopping, can't wait to see a PIP.
    Here's the creepy thing: FI's already positive that I'm going to bring a dress home on Saturday, or at least select one. He's been subjected to enough Say Yes To The Dress episodes and said "you'll try on a dress, it'll be THE ONE, you and everyone else will cry, the end." But I think getting a dress this soon isn't wise, because so much can happen between now and next October.

Picking it out and buying it aren't the same thing :) If you are lucky, you may be able to get it at a discount later as a discontinued style.

This. New dresses come out every season. If you take down the designer and model number, you would most likely find it discounted in the next few seasons, with plenty of time to order and alter before your wedding.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebugandbibs:

Not to be Debbie Downer, but I never had that moment.  I tried on at least 20 dresses and narrowed it down to 2 and picked the one that I looked good wearing, vs. the one that was a beautiful dress, but it sort of "wore me" instead of the other way around.  It was very calculated and not nearly as exciting as I thought it would be.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

"Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn, the clean, cool chill of the holiday air,
    an asshole in his bathrobe, emptying a chemical toilet into my sewer."
  • Options
    I didnt get to try on dresses.  I was living in Germany and planning a wedding in California.  Since I dont speak German, I had a really hard time finding a dress store in my area, and the ones I did find I couldnt communicate with to tell them what I wanted.  I ended up buying one online, and I was lucky enough that I loved it and it fit with only minor alterations.  I have always actually missed that part of planning a wedding, getting to try on all the dresses.  Silly I know.  We were engaged for about 10 months.  I bought mine fairly early, because it had to be shipped from the US to Germany so I could try it on, then back to the US becuase I didnt want to bring it on the plane with me.  I wanted to ship it early becuase sometimes mail can take a month or longer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMrsRustyGriswold:
    imagebugandbibs:

Not to be Debbie Downer, but I never had that moment.  I tried on at least 20 dresses and narrowed it down to 2 and picked the one that I looked good wearing, vs. the one that was a beautiful dress, but it sort of "wore me" instead of the other way around.  It was very calculated and not nearly as exciting as I thought it would be.

Same here. I never had that big moment.  I had tried on dresses at a bridal salon place and liked one but the service was awful.  I ended up getting mine at David's Bridal.  I had liked it online, tried it on, it was a good price and that was how I picked it.  

I got mine probably 8 months before the wedding. 

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I got my dress about a year before the wedding.  I bought it on our first trip out shopping

TTC since 2010

lots of IUIs and 1 IVF all BFNs

FET currently on hold

photo guiness-1.jpg

• Options

I got married in September 2009 after being engaged for 13 months and bought a dress in February 2009. My advice to you would be: DON'T go dress shopping believing you're just going to know. I never had that "moment," and neither did my sister.

I went in waiting for that magical moment and it put wayyyyyy too much pressure on me!! It ended up being somewhat stressful that way, and just not fun at all the first few times. I still found a beautiful dress, and I would not change it for anything, even now. My sister also picked a fantastic dress and never looked back. Try to go in with a completely opened mind if possible!!

TTC#1!
    12/1999: Dx with Endometriosis (age 12)
    5/2001: Ruptured appendix, massive scar tissue
    6/2005:Dx with Interstitial Cystitis
    9/2005: Gall bladder removed due to problems from cysts
    7/2006: Officially Dx with Fibromyalgia (age 18)
    2/2010: Partial left ovarian torsion

10/2012: SA = Low Motility
    11/2012: Surgery #5 to remove scar tissue & paratubal cyst
    HSG: Right tube blocked; unable to clear
  • Options
    imageCiahanna:

I never tried on dresses because I wore my Grandmother's gown (she died ten years ago an we were very close so it meant alot to me). Mine had to be restored and repaired, they also created a bustle for me since it had a huge train.

I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy every minute of it!

Assuming the gown you're talking about is the one in your siggy-- it is absolutely beautiful! And so sweet and sentimental that you wore your grandmother's gown.

TTC#1!
    12/1999: Dx with Endometriosis (age 12)
    5/2001: Ruptured appendix, massive scar tissue
    6/2005:Dx with Interstitial Cystitis
    9/2005: Gall bladder removed due to problems from cysts
    7/2006: Officially Dx with Fibromyalgia (age 18)
    2/2010: Partial left ovarian torsion

10/2012: SA = Low Motility
    11/2012: Surgery #5 to remove scar tissue & paratubal cyst
    HSG: Right tube blocked; unable to clear
  • Options
    I got married July 2, 2011 and I bought my dress almost a full year before the wedding.  I went to just get an idea of what I wanted and ended up falling in love with the 2nd dress I tried on!  GL!

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• Options
    If I remember correctly we purchased my dress in February and I got married in August.  It ended up being the very first dress I tried on.  LOVE IT!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"