April 2012 Moms

Is your baby happy?

My baby is 5weeks today and still sleeps the majority of the day. When she's awake, she's either eating or crying. I burp her, change her, rock her, etc.....but she never seems happy when she's awake. I get maybe 5 minutes in the morning and afternoon when she sitting contently on my lap and I'm able to play with her. Since I'm a FTM, don't know if this is normal or not. So....are other babies happy for longer periods? Are you able to play with your babies?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is your baby happy?

• sarabrnsarabrn member
    I'm glad we are not the only ones, I feel the exact same way! Chloe is not a very fussy baby, just not very playful or interactive yet. I'm hoping it will change soon :)
    imageBabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At 5 weeks, mine were the same, though Etta would be chill when I held her for the most part.

Now at 2 months, we get a nice little happy time in the mornings, where they will smile and make faces and look around. That's contrasted with their multi-hour witching hour in the evenings in which they basically hate life from 6-9 or 10 pm. 

Untitled

Etta Jane and Claire Elaine are here! Born March 28, 2012.

my blog

What it's like to cloth diaper twins, Part I.

Cloth diapering twins, Part II.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageerniebufflo:

At 5 weeks, mine were the same, though Etta would be chill when I held her for the most part.

Now at 2 months, we get a nice little happy time in the mornings, where they will smile and make faces and look around. That's contrasted with their multi-hour witching hour in the evenings in which they basically hate life from 6-9 or 10 pm. 

Yep, this is my experience, minus one baby.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know about happy, but generally, he isn't sad. Not very exciting life that he leads though.
  • Thank you....being a FTM makes me question these things. I figured this is what babies do, and it's not overly distressing (besides her "witching hour at night) but when my mom and DH keep asking why she cries so much makes me think maybe this isn't normal. Cant wait for her to start smiling...that should make it easier.....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • TambcatTambcat member
    Over the last couple of weeks, she has started interacting more and becoming more aware of her surroundings. For the first month or so, if she was awake, she was almost always crying. Now she will look around and smile and coo for awhile before she gets bored or overstimulated or wet and starts crying again.
  • L is still pretty fussy, gassy and colicky. She does now have some happier moments. We put together her gym yesterday and she's enjoying it so far. 

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • DS is happier now that he seems like his gassiness has become better. When he was awake before, he was always pushing, grunting, straining, and fussy. Within the last couple weeks, he definitely plays. I keep him as stimulated as possible when he's awake. Its tiring because I feel like I can't put him down when he's awake, but he is interacting (and he takes better naps if he's more worn out). He is starting to coo and he is focusing on things. He loves looking at the lights on his activity mat, and he looves the birds on his swing and bouncy. And when I prop him up on my legs, he smiles at me when I talk to him. I don't think he would be this way if I didn't work so hard to keep him stimulated and entertained. 
  • llizzybllizzyb member

I wouldn't have called him a happy baby until about a week ago. Now? Yes. He smiles and coos and is thisclose to giggles.

From weeks 4 to 7 he was either sleeping, crying, eating, or grunting. 

• I wouldn't say ours is 'happy.' She is starting to have more awake time where she is starting to enjoy toys hanging above her. But, there are lots of times when she is fighting off napping, grunting or just fussing for no reason. She still hasn't had a 'social smile' yet, so I'm hoping for that soon!
    imageVisit The Nest!
  • imageCPhillz:
    DS is happier now that he seems like his gassiness has become better. When he was awake before, he was always pushing, grunting, straining, and fussy. Within the last couple weeks, he definitely plays. I keep him as stimulated as possible when he's awake. Its tiring because I feel like I can't put him down when he's awake, but he is interacting (and he takes better naps if he's more worn out). He is starting to coo and he is focusing on things. He loves looking at the lights on his activity mat, and he looves the birds on his swing and bouncy. And when I prop him up on my legs, he smiles at me when I talk to him. I don't think he would be this way if I didn't work so hard to keep him stimulated and entertained. 
    Lol. I feel this way quite a bit.
  • imageangiekay84:
    imageerniebufflo:

At 5 weeks, mine were the same, though Etta would be chill when I held her for the most part.

Yep, this is my experience, minus one baby.   

Me too. Glad I'm not the only one. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"