February 2012 Moms
Options

Dairy, a little farther down the line...

For about a year now I've considered giving up dairy. It would truly be the hardest thing I've ever done. Anyway this isn't about me...Are any of you considering NOT giving your baby cow's milk when the time comes? I'd really rather not, but I know that it will be so hard to keep dairy out of his diet forever. Kids want things like cheese and ice cream.

IF you aren't pro-dairy, how does this thing play out when the babes start asking for things?

My Colton...Growing up so fast!

And Coralee, his baby sister...On the way!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Dairy, a little farther down the line...

• Options
    Out of curiousity- why would you not give your kids dairy?
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I have considered it, but only to the point of not giving a cup of milk while breastfeeding. I would give other dairy products gradually, though. We have a hystery of dairy allergies in our family.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mkarnsmkarns member

SO many reasons. I'm trying to transition our family to a more organic and healthy lifstyle. A couple of my own ideas- Cow's milk is meant for baby cows- 100lb baby cows, not 20lb babies. There are no benefits to milk that they can't get from other food sources (calcium, vitamin d, protein). Not to mention the hormones and antibiotics given to the milk producing cows.

Here is a link. https://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/is-milk-good-for-you.htm Please let it be known that I'm not trying to convince anyone that milk is bad. You all can believe whatever you want.

I currently eat dairy products of all sorts...However, I have been doing it all my life. I'd like to start Colton out in life being as healthy as possible and I'm considering that cutting dairy may OR may not be a good choice. Just looking for input.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    mkarnsmkarns member
    And I know a few Mama's had to cut dairy out of their diet to continue breastfeeding. I'd like to know if they saw a difference in their own health.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imagemkarns:

SO many reasons. I'm trying to transition our family to a more organic and healthy lifstyle. A couple of my own ideas- Cow's milk is meant for baby cows- 100lb baby cows, not 20lb babies. There are no benefits to milk that they can't get from other food sources (calcium, vitamin d, protein). Not to mention the hormones and antibiotics given to the milk producing cows.

Here is a link. https://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/is-milk-good-for-you.htm Please let it be known that I'm not trying to convince anyone that milk is bad. You all can believe whatever you want.

I currently eat dairy products of all sorts...However, I have been doing it all my life. I'd like to start Colton out in life being as healthy as possible and I'm considering that cutting dairy may OR may not be a good choice. Just looking for input.

I love dairy, so I don't see us giving it up.  I have made the switch to buying 90% of my dairy products organic/hormone/antibiotic free and from local farms, if I can.  It makes me feel a lot better about our dairy choices.  It is definitely more expensive!  Local milk from local farms in glass bottles is awesome.  Finding ice cream is hard, but I'm still trying.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• Options
    Toddlers need the fat in whole milk until age two or maybe it's age three. Their brain needs the fat. Maybe try to find an organic milk to use during those years before you cut out dairy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

*Starbuck, I really love your napping pic, that is hilarious!

We have a dairy cow, so our LO will get milk from it. I know how to make butter and yogurt, but cheese is more difficult, so we still buy it organic. And we just buy ice cream, LOL, because every now and again a girl needs some ice cream. But I feel good about DS getting his milk raw and whole.

If we didn't have a dairy cow, I would totally buy as much organic and local as I could. Another alternative for those who are looking for organic or who are lactose intolerant, would be raw goat's milk and goat's milk products.

• Options

imagemkarns:
    And I know a few Mama's had to cut dairy out of their diet to continue breastfeeding. I'd like to know if they saw a difference in their own health.

I had to cut out dairy - it's been over 2 months now. I definitely feel healthier...I've always been an ice cream addict!!  I actually stopped craving it (ice cream) a month ago, so yay!  :)  I know if I were eating dairy I would have a lot more baby weight on me. Dairy is basically only in "bad"/fatty foods (cheese, butter, most pizza dough, etc.) and I don't believe it is a necessary item in a person's diet. Once my baby's stomach can tolerate me eating dairy, I'll probably go back to eating it (I'm weak! Lol), but I'm glad I have a reason not to right now. I agree with you that there are so many negatives to giving dairy to HUMAN babies and I plan to keep my baby away from it as long as possible and then only sparingly. 

<3 Rachel <3 
    BabyFruit Ticker 
  • Options
    kms34kms34 member

DS1 was diagnosed allergic to dairy at 9 months so we did not introduce WCM at a year.  We did organic soy and then transitioned to almond and coconut milk.  He's since outgrown the majority of his allergy but still cannot tolerate straight milk. He's never had more than a few sips of milk. He eats cheese and yogurt now. 

I do not plan on introducing cow's milk to DS2 even if he's not allergic to dairy.  I don't feel there's a need when you can get good omega's and fats from other sources. 

DS2 has horrible eczema and I'm afraid it's from the dairy that I eat.  I know deep down I need to cut it out but it's a daunting task!  I don't drink milk but I do enjoy cheese and yogurt a lot.

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • Options
    mkarnsmkarns member
    Cheese is my weakness. Ohhh the decisions we have to make as parents.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    aglennaglenn member
    I've been off dairy since DS was 2 weeks old due to his reflux.  It allowed us to avoid medicating him, which is great.  For me it means much healthier snacking since most junk food has dairy, but otherwise I can't say I've noticed a huge difference in how I feel.  I'm more aware of dairy now, though, and will probably eat less of it once I can reintroduce it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"