February 2012 Moms

Teething!!

OK, so Ive come to the conclusion this AM that DD is teething... she's been extra cranky, but different than usual. Her cheeks are super red today, extra drooly lately, and tries to chew on everything. I can't see any teeth yet or anything, but this is NOT FUN.

We've tried a few things so far, but nothing seems to have made a difference yet. Amber necklace, Hyland tablets, the frozen washcloth seems to work, but only for a few mins, DH is giving her some Advil now in hopes that that will help a bit.

Anyone else? Advice?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Teething!!

• PALGalPALGal member
    OMG us too. We need advice as well...

• Me 3!

Also I was thinking of getting teething tablets, do you like them?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker pics-25untitled_zps5ec34838Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • PALGalPALGal member

My friend just sent me a text saying, "teething tabs and a vibrating chew toy from Babies R Us"

What kind of teething tabs though? 

• In the same boat! I feel like I've been living in a war zone dealing with this. And I was going to get the Hylands Tablets but read that they were recalled by the FDA a couple years ago and that made me a little nervous to try them now. But nothin I've tried so far works, his mouth is too small for most chew toys, he despises the wash cloth and everything else I've tried... I'm at a loss
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • So far the only things that really seem to help DS are the Hyland's teething tablets, those Razbaby rasberry pacifiers and chewing on one of those rubber coated baby spoons. He will use some of the other chew type things for a bit, but has a hard time hanging on to them, so he gets frustrated and even more angry. The tablets are best at bed time-if he can't fall asleep because of his teeth, I pop two or three under his tongue and he dozes right off.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've done some research!
    First, the reason Hyland are hit with so much skepticism, to my understanding, is that they (as well as most teething tablets) contain belladonna.  Commonly used as a poison in large amounts, it elicits some fear.  But I also found there to be <.003% in the tablets.  As long as you don't exceed the suggested amounts, I feel it should be perfectly fine.

Orajel works well, buuut, if your child has en existing blood disorder, it causes the tissues of muscles not to get enough oxygen.  There's no real way to know if it will have adverse affects beforehand, to my knowledge.

I like Humphrey's teething pellets because I have a pretty good idea of what everything in them is.

Some things that work really well for us (DS has been teething for about two weeks now, ick!) are the wet washrag.  I keep a soaked stack in an open tupperware in the fridge along with some pacifiers.  When he gets really upset, I pull one or the other out and give it to him.  If it still doesn't help much, I dip one of the washrags in the dissolved Humphrey's teething pellets and let him suck that to apply the medicine to his gums.

Target has a mesh teether that you can put frozen foods in.  Obviously, we can't use food yet, but the one I got also has a removable chew insert.  He love love loves the chew insert!  It's just a little loop with ridges on it.  I don't even attach it to the handle part because he can't hold it.  I just hold the teether in his mouth.

Tylenol helps if he becomes inconsolable.  I try to only use it if he goes on a hunger strike for two consecutive feedings because of the pain.

I also sometimes just let him gnaw on a knuckle if I can't find his teether!  Another thing is if he hunger strikes too much, I usually give him a bottle of pumped milk because it's easier for him to get the milk.

Hopefully this helps!  Not sure if any of the tips will, but these are the things we've found help our little guy!!  Best of luck!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. -Ephesians 4:29
  • cs1225cs1225 member

imagepennyandandy:
    So far the only things that really seem to help DS are the Hyland's teething tablets, those Razbaby rasberry pacifiers and chewing on one of those rubber coated baby spoons. He will use some of the other chew type things for a bit, but has a hard time hanging on to them, so he gets frustrated and even more angry. The tablets are best at bed time-if he can't fall asleep because of his teeth, I pop two or three under his tongue and he dozes right off.

This worked really well with dd1.  We also loved the vibrating teething toys.  I think dd2 might be on the verge of starting to teeth.  Drool is out of control in our house.

• imagelvrunningirlie:
    In the same boat! I feel like I've been living in a war zone dealing with this. And I was going to get the Hylands Tablets but read that they were recalled by the FDA a couple years ago and that made me a little nervous to try them now. But nothin I've tried so far works, his mouth is too small for most chew toys, he despises the wash cloth and everything else I've tried... I'm at a loss

Oh also, from what I can glean, the recall was voluntary because they found a new way to make dosages more uniform.  Also, the packaging was too easy for children to get into, so they redesigned that!

There may have been another recall you're talking about, but this is the one in 2011 that I found.  Maybe that's the one you're thinking of?  And in my opinion, that's not a good enough deterrent if it's helpful!  :]   I would probably still use them (but my Walgreen's was out!).

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. -Ephesians 4:29
  • Oh also...  baby orajel just recently released a product called 'orajel naturals" that does not contain benzocaine, the culprit of oxygen loss in the blood stream!  So if you're interested in using orajel, that might be an alternative to consider.  :]

Sorry to blow up the thread, I just happen to have done a lot of research on this topic since the little guy has been struggling with this a lot!

• ^^If there were some way I could send you my thanks I would! haha Thanks for this! I'm going to try some of these ways tomorrow
  • My twin sister old freeze small spatulas and let her girls chew on them and she also used orajel which worked very well.  
  • LawrenLawren member
    The only thing that I've noticed that works is to let him gnaw on my finger.
  • PALGalPALGal member
    Thanks ladies! He had a small fever tonight :(

• fraseyfrasey member

thanks for all the replies! glad to see Im not alone here... brutal.

Maybe I'll pick up some of the teething toys tomorrow - most of the ones we have are too hard for DD to keep them in her mouth!

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"