Working Moms
Options

Clicky Poll:Lay-offs

Please explain if need be[Poll]
"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Clicky Poll:Lay-offs

• Options
    aglennaglenn member
    Hard to answer this one yes or no.  It depends on the package being offered and what I think my prospects would be for finding a new job.  The job market is obviously not too good right now and I would be wary of volunteering to give up a job.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    vigurlvigurl member

Can I live off of unemployment?

Will I get severance?

What is the job market like for that skill set in that city?

How long do I think it will take me to find a job?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I replied No, but almost said yes.  I was in a situation about 3.5 years ago where I didn't like my job and was very unhappy with the hours and overall career development.  We did a series of layoffs around Nov '08, and I actually thought I would be OK if it happened, it would be the push I needed to find something else.  I might go as far as to say that I would have volunteered, but it is hard to say.  I've since found another job (at the same company) and am much happier with my work, career growth and work/life balance, so now it is a No.  Plus, now I have a mortgage and baby, didn't have those things when I had the opportunity a few years ago!
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

It would depend if DH had a job I could fall back on if I were to be laid off. We both were laid off and were on unemployment together at about the same time for 5 months.

Dh is still looking for work even though he ran out of unemployment. It is going to be a year since he was laid off. And now we are only living on my income for the past 3 months.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    I vote SS. If my husband is in a job he loves and the money is good while I am in a job I hate and they are offering a good package, I would certainly volunteer.
  • Options

If being laid off or losing benefits would put my family in a bind financially I wouldn't, but otherwise I would if I didn't enjoy what I was doing anyway.

My company is closing down so it's more a question of when you'll be laid off vs if, but we had several people volunteer for the first round of layoffs.

Married: '06 - Mom of 3 boys: '08, '11 & '14

• Options
    I would agree with all PP's about what I'm being offered, what field I work in, how quickly I would be able to find a job and how stable DH's job was.  I was laid off (not voluntarily) and was taken by complete suprise b/c they had been saying no lay offs were going to happen.  I ended off in a better position then before but it's hard to say.  The economy has gotten better IMO but does depend of the field you work in and where.
  • Options
    i agree with PP.  I absolutely would if they offered a good severence and i wasn't worried about finding a job right away.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm in a field with over 100 qualified applicants per job opening, and I would have to move across the country, most likely, to wherever I would get hired. And, most places only pay for 7 years of experience max on the payscale, and I'm one step from the top right now, so I'd be taking a HUGE paycut. I can't even imagine. Also, my guy is a SAHD. YIKES! We'd immediately be homeless.
    MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I voted no. My DH is self employed and I carry our benefits. No job = no health insurance. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes based on my personal situation but I was also assuming there was a decent severance package, not sure why anyone would volunteer to be laid off if there wasn't, why not just resign. (I guess there is unemployment but I wouldn't do it just for unemployment, I'd have to get some sort of package)
  • Options

I had this opportunity just a few months ago.  My company said that they are moving my job to Georgia, and I can either move there, or take the severence package...or find another job with the company.

I don't mind the company, but I don't enjoy my new job.  But I just need one more year to be vested in my pension, I carry the benefits, and DH went back to work after being laid off for a year just that week.  I asked to go to the position I had previously.  I really dislike it, but I am trying to just push through. Next March I can start looking elsewhere.  I can't wait.

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"