December 2011 Moms

s/o- diva cup

Do you use one?  Do you like it?  I've been curious about this thing for awhile.

Re: s/o- diva cup

• It was all the rage on my SWFL nest board two years ago.  I don't think it's for me...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had to google it to find out what it is, but does it replace tampon / pads?  If so, I'm not sure it I would be comfortable with it.  I would maybe give it a try after learning more about it and seeing how much it costs!

ETA: oh, just read the UO post.  I get it now.  Still a maybe for me, hoping AF doesn't show for a few more months! 

laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • obviously LOVE it - since I brought it up Smile

Been using one for several years.  A friend introduced me to it when we were living in the Alaskan wilderness a few summers ago.  It was so much easier than toting around "supplies".  I also found it worked so much better than tampons while I was managing a busy restaurant b/c I could get through dinner service without having to run off to change in the middle of shift.

It has never leaked.  I like that I don't have to worry about it at night.  I haven't had to wash a stain out of panties while using it - not once.

It does take a cycle to get used to it and it may take a few tries to insert it properly, but it's well worth it.  It's cheaper in the long run.  And more discreet than walking around with tampon pocket.

• imagecookinitup:

obviously LOVE it - since I brought it up Smile

Been using one for several years.  A friend introduced me to it when we were living in the Alaskan wilderness a few summers ago.  It was so much easier than toting around "supplies".  I also found it worked so much better than tampons while I was managing a busy restaurant b/c I could get through dinner service without having to run off to change in the middle of shift.

It has never leaked.  I like that I don't have to worry about it at night.  I haven't had to wash a stain out of panties while using it - not once.

It does take a cycle to get used to it and it may take a few tries to insert it properly, but it's well worth it.  It's cheaper in the long run.  And more discreet than walking around with tampon pocket.

This for me, too, minus the Alaskan wilderness and restaurant part...

• klafle3klafle3 member
    Yes, love it. I will never go back to tampons!
    DS 12/18/2011
    DD 8/28/2014
    DD 5/24/2016, stillborn at 40 weeks
  • I'm on the fence. I can only imagine what DH would say if he caught me boiling it on the stove. 

PSA though, drugstore.com is throwing in free Diva Wash with any Diva Cup purchase.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had never heard of these. In one sense, I'm intrigued, in another, I'm kind of on the fence of being grossed out. I'm guessing you take it out to change it on the toilet? Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't that create a huge mess (ie as soon as you start to break the seal or whatever, a flood would be released covering your hand?) That may be way tmi, but I'm curious. It seems to be cheaper, but the cleanliness factor seems to be bothering me. As a pp said, I could imagine Dhs face if he saw me using cookware to boil it lol! He'd never eat again! And what happens if your out and need to wash it? Do you carry the stuff in your purse and wash it in the ladies room sink? Seems like a tampon would be much easier to hide in that situation (like, say you were out for the entire day somewhere and HAD to change/clean it before you could get home)
  • I love mine! It did take a cycle or two to get over the learning curve but I hated tampons and pads so much that it was worth it to me. I think it's pretty easy to use and clean.

• imagelaken256:
    I had never heard of these. In one sense, I'm intrigued, in another, I'm kind of on the fence of being grossed out. I'm guessing you take it out to change it on the toilet? Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't that create a huge mess (ie as soon as you start to break the seal or whatever, a flood would be released covering your hand?) That may be way tmi, but I'm curious. It seems to be cheaper, but the cleanliness factor seems to be bothering me. As a pp said, I could imagine Dhs face if he saw me using cookware to boil it lol! He'd never eat again! And what happens if your out and need to wash it? Do you carry the stuff in your purse and wash it in the ladies room sink? Seems like a tampon would be much easier to hide in that situation (like, say you were out for the entire day somewhere and HAD to change/clean it before you could get home)

Not sure how the other ladies handle it but -

It doesn't make a mess once you've gotten used to handling it.  When you use a tampon and you take it out - that is way messier.  The cup holds everything in, when you remove it, you just tip it towards the toilet on the way out and everything slips into the bowl. - very little mess.

You can use TP to wipe it out before you reinsert, if you need to but you don't have to wash it everytime (like when you're not at home and on the run).  I don't carry anything extra with me.  I do have DivaWash, but I only use that home.

I don't boil mine in our cookware, rather I pour boiling water over it into a plastic container (like a clean, recycled plastic quart container).  DH is none the wiser and really doesn't care.

I have never found that I HAD to change...it really does a good job of holding things back until I can get to it....I haven't found a tampon that doesn't eventually leak yet.  But I have always kept a tampon or two in my bag for emergencies.

• Thanks for the info! That seems way more manageable than the thoughts I had rolling around in my head! It's looking more and more enticing! I may have to break down and get one! Now if I can only keep from dropping it into the toilet lol everything I have seems to go in there! Thanks again! :)
  • I'm sitting here baffled as to why I've never heard of these before. If I didn't have a mirena and no AF I'd buy one! It so simple and innovative. I know it's silly to get excited about something like this but I am! One day...  ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Success After Losses. I carry your <3, I carry it in my <3.</br>
  • I've been considering these too! But I'm so worried about leakage because AF is a mean B**** to me. I might just take the plunge, get one and test it out at home for a few days.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"