Babies: 0 - 3 Months

"Caring for your Newborn" class necessary?

Hi ladies,

I'm sneaking on to your board for a second because I need the opinion of new mothers. I just found out that the only day I could possibly take the "Caring for your Newborn" class at my hospital is early July - but I'm not due until the beginning of October. On the other available dates for the class, I'm just not free. I feel like this is extremely early (and it kind of messes up the budget I've planned).

I have heard from a few of my friends that this particular class isn't the most helpful, because they're going over things that you have probably already read/researched about, or things you will learn in the hospital when you deliver. I've been reading up and researching like crazy so I'm not going into this totally blind (although I realize that as a FTM you never know exactly what you're getting into).

So what do you guys think? Cough up the money and take the class 3 months before I'm due? Or skip this one and just enjoy all the other classes I've already registered for (pediatric CPR, childbirth preparation weekend, breastfeeding)?

Thanks in advance!

Re: "Caring for your Newborn" class necessary?

• I did not take a single class because many told me they were not worth the money. ( except CPR which I am taking soon) I never regretting not taking classes because the nurses taught us everything at the hospital.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We took ours so early in our preg that we forgot a lot of it. I found books to be the most helpful, such as what to expect the first year, baby 411, etc...

Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelurchbaby:
    I found that the classes I took were really only helpful to ease my mind while I was pregnant. They made me less nervous. But I didn't really 'learn' anything until LO was actually here. The nurses will show you everything you need to know.

This exactly. It eased our minds but we learned a lot through reading and our delivery nurses. 

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I took a newborn class but honestly everything kinda came naturally to me. Before I had my son I had never even held a baby before but I still knew what to do. Youtube is also a great resource!!
  • eav2ceav2c member
    I don't think newborn classes are necessary. They teach you alot at the hospital and TB has been pretty helpful too along with a little bit of mothers intuition thrown in.
  • Nope.

I literally had 0 experience with infants until having my own.  Most of it comes naturally & with common sense.  I did quite a bit of reading & still am constantly reading up on things...  But no, the classes aren't necessary. 

• I found it helpful for my husband, but not really for me.
  • There were maybe one or two things that I picked up that were helpful... but I probably could have learned those things from the nurses on duty at the hospital
  • We took a birthing class which had some caring for newborn stuff at the end. The entire class was a waste (in my opinion) -- However, there were people at the class that definitely needed to be there. They hadn't done any research or reading and had a bunch of questions that made me want to say have you ever used Google? I say, if you are an educated individual and can read and use the internet you can do all the research yourself. If you have a mom or friends with kids to ask questions too then you are good to go. Plus, before you leave the hospital they give you a few baby basics as well as a book (at least mine did) -- I grilled those nurses with every question that popped into my head while I was there. They take care of babies and see everything. To me they were a great resource of information.
  • imagejeffsjayme:
    I found it helpful for my husband, but not really for me.

I found this to be true for myself as well.  It really eased his anxiety about caring for a baby.  I already have a DD from a previous relationship so I knew most things.

However, I didn't take one with my first but I caught on quick on how to care for her.  Your motherly instincts kick in. It wouldn't hurt to take it though.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • We took the class for our son--actually we were going to take a childbirth class, but my son was born at 31 weeks before that class--so we took the caring for your newborn class.  I am glad we took it.  It just gets you excited about your baby. 
    imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"