June 2011 Moms
Options

Car accident, new carseat right?

I don't mean to be dense, but I do have to replace my carseat right? I was in a pretty bad accident this morning (thank goodness no baby in the car!). The backseat/carseat of course don't look damaged or anything, but the car is totaled and probably has some pretty rough frame damage. That carseat is trash right?

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Car accident, new carseat right?

• Options
    My good friend was in an accident last year and she said the insurance company insisted they replace the carseat. And I think it was covered by the insurance policy. So I would say yes, better safe then sorry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Oh My! I hope everyone is OK! That has to be so scary. I would buy a new carseat if it was me. The manual of our Britax said that we would need to replace it if we had an accident. I would contact your car insurance to see if they can pay for a replacement. Also, maybe call the carseat company and see what they say.
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
    Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagestuck322:
    My good friend was in an accident last year and she said the insurance company insisted they replace the carseat. And I think it was covered by the insurance policy. So I would say yes, better safe then sorry.

That hadn't occured to me, it would be awesome if they'd cover it!

• Options

Yup, and it should be covered by insurance (I hope so!)

Glad that you are ok (sounds like it, though your car isnt!)

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Rainbow baby, EDD 7/8/14, missed miscarriage 12/5/13. 
  • Options
    Absolutely replace it. Insurance should cover it. I also know that the Dinio/Sunshine Kids has an accident warranty and will replace if involved in an accident. Regardless of how severe of the accident, REPLACE, REPLACE, REPLACE!
  • Options
    Jills83Jills83 member
    I'm glad you are OK!  If you have full coverage you can get the carseat replaced by the insurance company.  My DH was in an accident a few years back and insurance replaced some random stuff that was in the car like his non-factory issued speakers and cds. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    vigurlvigurl member

imagestuck322:

Yes

Sorry about the accident but yes this poster is right!

• Options
    I'm so glad you're ok!  I think this may be a better safe than sorry occasion.  Hope insurance covers it- that would be nice.  

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• Options
    Yes, and insurance should pay for it.  My mom is an auto claims adjuster and she's told me how they always issue payment for a new carseat.  She had a claim a few months ago when the family was rear-ended on their way home from the hospital, the carseat was 2 months old and just installed a few weeks prior, first time used, and the other agency still paid out for a new one.
  • Options

There are 5 rules to replacing a seat:

1) Was anyone injured in the accident?

2) Was the car unable to drive away from the scene of the accident?

3) Is there any visible damage to the car seat?

4) Did the air bags deploy?

5) Was there damage to the door nearest to the car seat?

If you say "yes" to three of them then you need to replace the seat.  We totaled our van last October, so I had to replace all 5 seats in.  I had a very minor injury but we had #2, 4 and 5.  I'm glad everyone is OK!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    Yes ma'am.  Get a new one.  It's most likely covered my your insurance.
  • Options
    Call your insurance!  A lot of times they will cover a new car seat, but only if you ask.  So glad you're okay and that baby wasn't in the car!
    photo Untitled-1_zps25768757.jpg 

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Everyone said what I would have but I still wanted to tell you I'm glad you're okay and that Lexi wasn't in the car!!
  • Options
    No idea. But I am glad you are ok and Lexi wasnt in the car! 
  • Options
    thanks everyone :) definitely a scary morning, but so blessed to be home in one piece, spending the evening with my family. We'll worry about the car tomorrow!:) 
  • Options

Glad you are ok and that baby wasn't in the car!

I'll echo what everyone else said--replace the seat. In one of our pre-baby classes at the hospital, we were told any accident over 5mph (or something really low like that) requires you to change the seat. I believe the foam is considered no good after that.  

• Options
    What everyone else said- glad everybody is ok and sorry about the car!
  • Options
    First, I am so glad that you are OK and that LO was not in the car with you.  I would also call the car seat manufacturer.  I have heard that sometimes they will pay to have the car seat shipped to them so they can test it.
  • Options

When I called Britax and asked what the difference was between a car accident and poor baggage handling on an airplane, they CS person said it's the straps that hold a car seat to the car.  The stress on the fabric straps and their connectors can be the difference in any future (hopefully never!) accident.  

I'm glad you are home with your family tonight! 

TTC #1 5/97 - PCOS dx 6/10 - Metformin 8/10 - Moved from Endo to RE 9/10 - 50mg Clomid 9/10 - 100mg Clomid 10/18 - BFP - Beta #1 = 91 - Beta #2 = 958 EDD 6/28/11 Tater Tot arrived 6/21/11 on his Great Grandmother's 90th Birthday
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"