December 2010 Moms

Talk to me about coxsackie...(with a long story attached)

So it looks like Alexander has coxsackie virus (aka, hand, foot and mouth disease)

Here is how we found that out: He had a fever Tuesday, and then a lower one yesterday.  It seemed to be going away, but then he had a hard stool with some blood one it at 6 pm last night (of course, after the doctor's office is closed). So I call the emergency line, talk to the dr. and she says that if he still has a fever in the morning, to bring him in.  I also notice a small diaper rash last night, but think it's unrelated.

This morning, he wakes up chipper, is playing all morning and has a rectal temp of 99.  So I'm like, ok, this is the end of whatever that was, so I go to work.  My MIL texts me that he seems fine, appetite fine, has a 99.2 rectal temp.  When I get home, I see that he looks fine too. All of a sudden, at 4:30, I look up at him and he has a huge red rash all around his mouth.  I go to look at it, and he's burning up.  When I take off his pants to take his temp (102.5!) I see he has a rash all over his tush, his legs...and it seems to be spreading the more I look.

So I go to get my phone...and can't find it. We just got rid of our landline to save money.  I realize that Alexander took it, and HID IT.  So I can't call the pedi...I just stick him in the car and drive there, knowing I only have until 5 when they close AND I don't have an appointment. I get there at 4:55 and they let me see the doctor.

As she is examining him, I see that the rash is now all over his hands and feet.  As she's looking, I said, Oh my God, this is Coxsackie, isn't it?  Yep. 

Anyway. A few questions for you: How long did it take for this to run its course in your LO?  Do you think it's still ok if I go to an out of town wedding this weekend or will he be in too much pain and I should stay?  If he's acting fine now, is the worst over and all that's left is the rash?

You really deserve a cookie for getting through that one, if you did. I know I deserve something, because I basically had a panic attack while driving to the doctor and was crying the whole way there.

By the way, when i got home, I discovered that he put my phone in the fireplace.

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg

Re: Talk to me about coxsackie...(with a long story attached)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"