Babies: 0 - 3 Months

re-using breastmilk

I searched but couldn't find the answer & kelly mom had mixed answers...

I took 6oz of expressed milk to a retirement dinner (for my mom) to feed to DD since I didn't have a BF friendly dress. She wouldn't take my expressed milk from me so I asked my sister to give DD the bottle. DD took 1oz and wouldn't take anymore from her so I ended up nursing DD away from everyone else. A few hrs later, DD was hungry again so again I asked my sister to give the bottle. DD took another oz so 2oz total. The bottle was in an insulated tote with an ice pack the whole time. It is now in the fridge. I hate to throw away 4oz so do I have to...? Can I freeze it and add it to my stash and make a note on the bag saying throw away if unused? WWYD?

Re: re-using breastmilk

• DrRxDrRx member
    Once LOs mouth touches the bottle of breastmilk and doesn't finish you can save it for the next feed.  However, it should be thrown away after that.
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • That's what I thought but wasn't sure, I'll save it then for the morning! Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • I thought it had to be finished within an hour if they started the bottle? I'm curious of the answers to this!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
    DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
    DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac
  • ToraniTorani member

imageLuvmy2sons:
    I thought it had to be finished within an hour if they started the bottle? I'm curious of the answers to this!

That's the rule for formula. With DS1, he rarely finished a bottle, so he would drink the rest at the next feeding and then start a new bottle for the rest of the feeding.

OP, don't put more than 2oz in the bottle until LO takes the bottle well and you know how much they will eat in a sitting. You can always add more if LO finishes it. Since you used it for two feedings and don't plan on using it again until the morning, I would toss it. You can always smell it and offer it to LO, as they usually will refuse spoiled milk. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLuvmy2sons:
    I thought it had to be finished within an hour if they started the bottle? I'm curious of the answers to this!
    This is also the rule for most daycares fr breast milk. But the advice you received is good - use at next feeding or toss. And start with small ants in bottles.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I thought once breast milk was heated it could be left out at room temp for next feeding but can not be refrigerated and heated up again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am not sure the answer but this is what I do: when I go somewhere I bring a bottle with the breast milk stored inside it and a fresh empty bottle. Then I pour an ounce or two at a time into the empty bottle and add more if she wants it. I keep the other bottle of breast milk in a freeze tote so it keeps cold. That way whatever she doesn't drink I can re-fridgerate for later. DD has always been a lazy eater and I never know how much she will take at a time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • According to the breastfeeding expert who came to my birth class...

Any rules you find are derived from studies on formula. There really ARE no studies on what is safe for breastmilk, so they tend to go with what is safe for formula and assume it's the same. Technically this means no one can say it's safe to reuse breastmilk...but it likely is. It's up to you on your comfort level, if you're willing to do something likely safe but untested and against the "official" stance.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagefyziksgirl:

According to the breastfeeding expert who came to my birth class...

Any rules you find are derived from studies on formula. There really ARE no studies on what is safe for breastmilk, so they tend to go with what is safe for formula and assume it's the same. Technically this means no one can say it's safe to reuse breastmilk...but it likely is. It's up to you on your comfort level, if you're willing to do something likely safe but untested and against the "official" stance.

That is really interesting!

I understand why there are "rules" for daycares and such, but this is good to know if you are in a pinch on your own.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"