School-Aged Children

Have we discussed our kids' summer plans yet?

How much longer until your kids are out of school?

What are they doing this summer to stay busy?

Are you doing anything to prevent "brain drain?"

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12

Re: Have we discussed our kids' summer plans yet?

• How much longer until your kids are out of school?

We still have 3 weeks!

DS1 is going to be in camp almost every week.  He'll do a week each of science, soccer, "all sports" (football, basketball and baseball), lego, and local beach camp with field trip.  He's also doing a month of literacy camp to keep him in a school'ish setting and to work on his writing skills, which should help  a lot with his transition back to school in the fall (we've had issues in the past, mostly due to his ADHD). 

DD will be starting KG in the fall and is very anti-camp for some reason.  She is doing a 3 gymnastics/dance camps and 2 weeks of Safety Town.  I will also sent her 2 days a week to her school for camp on the weeks that she doesn't have camp (I will be WAH those days and won't be able to entertain her).

I just bought the both summer bridge books. My plan is to have a no electronics rule until they've done a couple work sheets and DS has done 20 mins of reading a day.  Shouldn't be too hard with DS, he's an early riser and does his best work in the AM. DD is not a morning person though, so we'll see how that works out. 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • KL777KL777 member

My son is in preschool but I'll chime in anyway :-)

How much longer until your kid is out of school?
    DS's last day of preschool was last Friday.

-Summer season passes to a huge water park
    -I'll be meeting up with my mom friends and their children so we all can play and have fun
    -Vacation Bible School
    -Regular summer stuff, the beach, zoo, aquarium, water fountains, backyard water fun
    -And part-time summer camp since I work part-time during the summer

Are you doing anything to prevent brain drain?
    -
    DS has some homework sheets that I can help him work on periodically and I'm pretty sure his part-time summer camp (same place where he goes to preschool) will incorporate some "refresher learning".

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Loading the player...
  • jlw2505jlw2505 member

Older DD's PreK program ends on June 8th and she will have 3 days off (hanging with my sister/cousins for 2 days and the 3rd is partly with me and partly with the grandparents.  Her summer program through the school starts on June 14th.  She will be there through Aug 15th other than for 3 weeks when she is going to a day camp run by our Temple.  My little one will be at the preschool/daycare summer program through Aug 15th.  We have a family vacation in late June and then are going to Family camp in mid August.  The last 2 weeks of the summer both girls will be out of their summer programs as they are over and will be spending a week doing things with my parents who are coming to stay with us, with DH's parents, with me and DH and with my sister - basically my parents for 1 week and the rest of us over the other week and a few days.  Both girls have school orientation stuff the day after Labor Day and then start school that Wed.

Older DD will have her speech therapy sessions 4-5 times over the summer and in both of their summer programs, they do things that help prevent brain drain and it is something we do with them all the time anyway - reading to them, doing hiking trips and just with our general style of life and including learning into any opportunity that we find.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • imageshouldbworkin:

How much longer until your kids are out of school? 2 weeks

What are they doing this summer to stay busy? Summer program at his school

Are you doing anything to prevent "brain drain?" Nope, trying to have a fun summer for him :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

She is out of regular school but I have her in summer transition program

See above. As well as we are going on vacation for a wk, then she is going to her bio's for 10 days. After all of that she'll have about 5 wks of getting ready/used to baby brother.

Keeping up with Hooked on Phonics, computer educational games and going on field trips. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageshouldbworkin:

How much longer until your kids are out of school? Roughly 2 1/2 weeks.

What are they doing this summer to stay busy?  Beach, zoo, play dates, water parks, maybe tennis or golf camp for DD, swimming and a couple of short trips.

Are you doing anything to prevent "brain drain?" Kahn Academy for math and Reading Plus for reading/language arts and then whatever summer reading list DD gets.

• My kids finish up on June 12.  

They're each doing two camps:  DS - swimming and karate; DD - swimming and fencing.  Swimming is all day during the first week of summer when I am still in school for teacher meetings, etc.  Karate and fencing are 1/2 day programs later in the summer.

When they're not in various camps, we do day trips and other fun activities to museums, etc.  This summer they want to earn "badges" for doing different activities, so that should be fun.

DD is in a magnet program, and she always has a big homework packet for the summer.  I have her work on it a little each day.  DS will be working on memorizing math facts and I will have him do some spelling as well. I have not been really happy with the spelling curriculum in 1st grade.  I always have them do a little something academic, but not too much.  My kids work really hard during the school year, as do I, and I want summer to be a break.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade

Only a little over a week! 

I am working on a summer fun checklist and scheduling some summer felid trips with my girlfriends

We are making weekly library trips and  trying to incorporate learning activities into our summer fun! ex:star gazing night, bug week, science fun 

BabyFetus Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tammy79tammy79 member

DS last day of Kindy was today

DD's Prek class ended 2 days ago.

DS is signed for a discovery camp for the whole month of June,he then has a science camp and a sport camp in July, we then take it easy, relaxing before school start which will be mid august for us. 

DD is doing a Mothers day out camp Tuesdays and Thursday for June, then I think will do Gymnastic for July. 

Other then that we will also be doing your usual trip to the museum, zoo, and the pool. 

We received a summer packet from school they want him to read 10 books, and log all of them, and write small summary for one of the book.

They also sent us a 2 page letter telling us what they be expecting from the students, so we will be spending 20 minutes/day working on those materials, but also keeping it fun for them. 

• imageshouldbworkin:

How much longer until your kids are out of school?

She got out on the Friday before Memorial Day. 

She leaves Sunday for three weeks at sleepaway camp in NC. Then when she gets home, we leave for two weeks in Seaside, FL. When we're back in July, she has tennis and voice lessons for the rest of the summer. We're also going to NYC for a long weekend at the beginning on August. It's also possible that my in-laws will take her up to their place on Lake Michigan. 

Are you doing anything to prevent "brain drain?" She reads all the time, that's about it. I let summer be summer. She's getting a Kindle for her birthday.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"